IGNORED

Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO

Gotters

1 hour ago, McFly said:

@grounded_dreams gif and @Silent Runner 4 panel have meme written all over them.

The way Culkin sinks into his chair as he realises what he did is marvellous.

That whole scene was incredible. The minute it kicks off you know exactly what's going to happen and are just watching everyone else go through it and realise in real time. 

4 hours ago, scottcr said:

Just finished series 1 of this - why didn't I watch this when it first came out!?  It's *sooo* good.

Brian Cox delivers the absolute BEST 'Fuck off you fucking prick' in all of the business.

Bad news - there is a massive drop in quality, but that is only if you decide to watch a different TV series to break up each series of Succession. Otherwise its all amazing all the time.

Spoiler

I caught the annoying Sky Atlantic warning at the start about there being nudity in the episode and I was thinking that seemed out of character for this show, so that was there in the back of my mind for the whole episode.

What a pay-off. :lol:

Logan getting his grandson to taste his food like a medieval king was pretty low. He’s an utter bastard and I think will drive Kendall to suicide…if he hasn’t already. I think Ken will reveal the incident in the UK as a parting shot. Watching him mentally abuse Kendall is pretty tough viewing. 

Greg now looking to move up the date ladder provided some welcome light relief. “Is that the time?” 😆

But yes, the text message scene was hilarious. Shiv of course wasted no time. I do wonder if Logan would actually give a shit. Bit of a rubbish way to put Pinky back in the lead if that was the point. 

Ahead of the finale, I may be clutching at straws but…

Spoiler

…can’t help but think GoJo might become a Trojan horse* for Kendall. Thinking he gets his payout, and convinces Matsson he’s worth a senior position that gives him much more of a say than he currently gets with Logan holding his leash. Essentially uses his payout to trade position to one where he’s got a stronger hand.

Admittedly that’s not fleshed out and probably falls apart if a thread I’ve overlooked gets tugged, but would be a decent ‘fuck you’ moment to Logan. And Roman.

*throwback to the sarky gift from Stewy too

Am I reading this right, did 

Spoiler

Tom sell them out too? Shiv said Logan knew they were coming so someone told Logan. And how did Tom get there so fast? Is he getting revenge on Shiv for everything she’s done to him?

This show continues to be amazing. 

39 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Am I reading this right, did 

Hide contents

Tom sell them out too? Shiv said Logan knew they were coming so someone told Logan. And how did Tom get there so fast? Is he getting revenge on Shiv for everything she’s done to him?

This show continues to be amazing. 

Yep!

Spoiler

Impossible to say whether opportunism or revenge is Tom's motivation. Perhaps a delicious cocktail of both. I'm unbelievably excited to see where the series goes from here though. What a fucking show!

Also good christ that was some top form stuff from Jeremy Strong and Kieran Culkin. Strong's method might be annoying for the other actors but man, when it lands he gets results!

As much as I love this show I've felt like the mechanics and its narrow focus have been exposed this season. But that was a humdinger of a finale!

This is what Shakespeare would be writing if he was signed up for HBO.

Tom:

Spoiler

In season 1 he was the least interesting character and now he's gone full Iago. Brilliant.

7 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

As much as I love this show I've felt like the mechanics and its narrow focus have been exposed this season. But that was a humdinger of a finale!

This is what Shakespeare would be writing if he was signed up for HBO.

Tom:

Hide contents

In season 1 he was the least interesting character and now he's gone full Iago. Brilliant.

Spoiler

I’m thinking more Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. 

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Finale? No episode 10 in S3?

Yup, just the nine episodes this season.

Fourth season is on the way next year. Kind of hope it’s the last, just so there’s more chance of the show retaining its quality and cementing its place as one of the finest TV dramas of all-time.

The finale was incredible. So much was set up this series that they managed to pay off there.

I totally missed this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/SuccessionTV/comments/rgq7be/tom_was_eight_steps_ahead_all_along/

Spoiler

The lawyer Tom was speaking to in episode 3 that everyone was speculating was for a plea deal with the DoJ?

It is the divorce lawyer that rewrote the settlement between Logan and Caroline. He's been building his legal case for a divorce from Shiv the entire series. 

13 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The finale was incredible. So much was set up this series that they managed to pay off there.

I totally missed this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/SuccessionTV/comments/rgq7be/tom_was_eight_steps_ahead_all_along/

Hide contents

The lawyer Tom was speaking to in episode 3 that everyone was speculating was for a plea deal with the DoJ?

It is the divorce lawyer that rewrote the settlement between Logan and Caroline. He's been building his legal case for a divorce from Shiv the entire series. 

The Keyser Söze of Succession.

I loved the finale - I was buzzing by the end of it.

I also really liked the speculation about:

Spoiler

Logan potentially knocking up his PA, whether true or not,  and (in my head) how the others are concerned about becoming 'lesser' children like Connor. That whole scene with Kendall being described as the eldest right in front of Connor was brutal.

And also getting sold out by your mother for the 'seat sniffer' 😂 Absolutely unbelievable turns this season from everyone.

Spoiler

I've had a sneaky feeling Greg has been favourite with the writers for the top job from the very beginning and it's kind of going that way.

However, given how they like to pull the rug from under us it's impossible to predict. I expect Jesse Armstrong isn't even sure himself.

I wonder if the only logical conclusion to all this is to do a Young Ones and have them all crashing into a cliff, albeit in a private jet.

That episode was amazing, and I loved all of the big developments, but in the light of that I want to make sure we don't forget my favourite part of the episode-

Spoiler

Greg the Player. Him sitting between the two women he was pursuing was just gold.

Greg.thumb.jpg.97ef28a11655137523b73df7a642e560.jpg

😎

don't necessarily see that happening @Mawdlin

Spoiler

everything I've read and seen Jesse Armstrong say this week is around how things don't blindside the viewer, they are all there all along and waiting to happen.

there are no tricks or things coming from nowhere at you.

in my eyes Greg 'winning' really wouldn't be credible, he's had some leverage and done well as distant family and Tom's plaything but he isn't a main player, at this point neither are any of the kids.

In one interview Jesse Armstrong says he isn't sure if the next season will be the last, also seen him say that the title of the show has an inherent promise in it that he has to answer.