IGNORED

Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO

Gotters

8 minutes ago, Gotters said:

don't necessarily see that happening @Mawdlin

Hide contents

everything I've read and seen Jesse Armstrong say this week is around how things don't blindside the viewer, they are all there all along and waiting to happen.

there are no tricks or things coming from nowhere at you.

in my eyes Greg 'winning' really wouldn't be credible, he's had some leverage and done well as distant family and Tom's plaything but he isn't a main player, at this point none are any of the kids.

In one interview Jesse Armstrong says he isn't sure if the next season will be the last, also seen him say that the title of the show has an inherent promise in it that he has to answer.  

Spoiler

In that vein Matsson could be argued to be the titular successor. There’s always fallout and aftermath when a new figure succeeds the previous incumbent, which season four looks like it will be dealing with.

2 minutes ago, glb said:

Hide contents

In that vein Matsson could be argued to be the titular successor. There’s always fallout and aftermath when a new figure succeeds the previous incumbent, which season four looks like it will be dealing with.

quite possibly - we've all made a very very big assumption about this I think.

Spoiler

Why do we think Logan is so keen to push this through quickly?

I doubt it’s purely a business decision (i.e. where they kept mentioning the market caps swapping between Waystar and Madsen’s company). Do we think there’s something underlying?

I thought it would be something to do with the divorce settlement and their Mother’s new marriage (shunting her out), but the ending makes it seem that’s all sorted between her and Logan (and actually it’s the kids getting shunted out!). 

Spoiler

I reckon Madsen is a flash in the pan. He's only been written in to spice things up. GoJo's stock going up was because of a viral tweet. It would only take a single line in the script for it all to fall apart. Plus Logan still has a lot of media clout and influence.

But this could go anywhere, which is why it's so good.

9 hours ago, glb said:

So… who’s introducing their in-laws to a friendly game of ‘Boar on the Floor’ this Christmas?

do the rules allow it to be played outside at 2m distance ?

if not then nobody legally i suspect, but they will play in Downing St

Finally finished the series this weekend.

It was possibly my favourite series, though I didn't feel like it offered many surprises. Just lovely little hilarious moments. 

Spoiler

The formula has to have Logan win. Every time. It has to have sibling solidarity become undermined and worthless. Every time. For billions of dollars in the air, there never feel like any stakes.

That said, having one big succession at the end will probably help it stand the test of time as an excellent piece of work, rather than Logan starting up the Michael Scott Paper Company for a season or two.

Lukas Mattson feels utterly Deux Ex Machina, but it's not a big problem. I wanted Kendall to have orchestrated the entire plot since his party (perhaps even having that be the primary reason for the world's saddest birthday), but alas it wasn't to be. The Tom stuff is interesting, but the Greg stuff only works for me if it turns out he's been faking his idiocy the entire time. Not impossible though.

It's a show that gives me the same feeling as something like early Arrested Development or Breaking Bad, where it just makes so much TV look workmanlike and dull by comparison.

have a pos for the second mention I've heard of the Michael Scott Paper Co in a week, my son interviewed at a small office where he'd be the second employee last week and said it was smaller than the MSPC and would have less people still even if he joined. 

I watched episode 1, season 1 again last night (may as well start this again because nothing currently compares) and it does take a while to hit its stride. There's no bitter comedy in it yet and everyone is clearly finding their feet. I do remember it taking a few episodes before I was hooked.

Spoiler

Kendall running late for the boardroom backstab while Romulus raises his arm and slinks down into his seat was the moment for me.

Never looked back after that, but I can see why the first season got a lukewarm reception initially.

I recommended it to a colleague once. Even having warned them that it's a slow burn and very much a character drama, they fell asleep in the first episode and didn't give it another chance after that. 

So now I hesitate to recommend it to anyone! 

Good summary this, doesn't really state anything we didn't already know but it's well put together and seeing it all laid out like this just demonstrates how well the show is constructing the storylines and more importantly characters.

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Good summary this, doesn't really state anything we didn't already know but it's well put together and seeing it all laid out like this just demonstrates how well the show is constructing the storylines and more importantly characters.

Saw that the other day and thought it was excellent. 

It almost felt like Tom was having a bit of a quiet season on first watch, but when you look back it was all going on. That video brilliantly sums it up.

23 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Great video thanks.

One of my training partners is so like Tom it's hilarious, his demeanour and way he speaks is just like him

I caught a spolier for this on those goddamn google cards about

Spoiler

Tom's betrayal

But deliciously when I saw the final episode I realised had been anti-spoiled as I assumed it meant the betrayal OF Tom, not BY Tom.

Binged it all today, absolutely masterful. Shame on those saying early on this season had dropped the ball, the party episode and the finale were two of the best episodes they've ever done. Bullet point musings:

Spoiler
  • Roman's sexuality is still a mystery, the flirting with trump 2.0 was delicious and horrific.
  • Roman generally this season, good to see a cock on a show as well for a change instead of boobs
  • Greg and Tom scenes are almost the soul of the show now
  • All the performances are amazing, you can't really pick. Some of the side glances and looks make me stop and rewind it, all the actors are acting the subtext
  • They'll be another wedding next season!
  • Am I in love with Roman? He is such a cunt. But I love him?
  • Roman being sincere to Kendall was almost too much
  • I nearly cried for Shiv at the end, but the way she treats Tom, jesus
  • I want a glass of cold white wine

I felt like I should applaud at the end, the whole thing oozes quality. There has been a lot of talk of satire being dead in the post-Trump era, but Succession shows how you can do it.

Nice theory from this weeks Popbitch email, not sure I buy it that the whole thing is fully based on Murdoch and his clan but it's quite tidy

Spoiler

People at News UK had spent ages trying to work out who was supposed to be Rebekah Brooks in Succession. Logan is obviously Rupert. The kids are all pretty easy to place. But it was never clear which of the characters was Brooks – until the final minutes of S3. She's Tom.

* An outsider from the boondocks (Minnesota/Warrington)
* Successfully ingratiated themselves with the big cheese (Logan/Rupert)
* Offered to take the fall for corporate malfeasance (DoJ/phone-hacking)
* Never once put the boss in the frame (even though RB's friends were all telling her to turn Queen's evidence on hacking, she never did).
* And always, always loyal – in contrast to the actual children...

long time til the next series so will have to make do with YouTube algorithm throwing me goodies like this, damn it looks hard to play (almost Avril 14th impossible).

I've enjoyed the music/score on shows before (the guy on GoT at his best was amazing, especially when Cersei was blowing up the crypt) but I've never thought of it as so integral and so intelligently done as on this show.

On 14/01/2022 at 10:48, Gotters said:

Nice theory from this weeks Popbitch email, not sure I buy it that the whole thing is fully based on Murdoch and his clan but it's quite tidy

Hide contents

People at News UK had spent ages trying to work out who was supposed to be Rebekah Brooks in Succession. Logan is obviously Rupert. The kids are all pretty easy to place. But it was never clear which of the characters was Brooks – until the final minutes of S3. She's Tom.

* An outsider from the boondocks (Minnesota/Warrington)
* Successfully ingratiated themselves with the big cheese (Logan/Rupert)
* Offered to take the fall for corporate malfeasance (DoJ/phone-hacking)
* Never once put the boss in the frame (even though RB's friends were all telling her to turn Queen's evidence on hacking, she never did).
* And always, always loyal – in contrast to the actual children...

For any other amateurs like me who are lacking in the knowledge of the real world parallels between the Murdochs and the Roys, I really enjoyed this doc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000kxw1/the-rise-of-the-murdoch-dynasty

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Directors Guild announced nominations today. There's 5 nominations for Dramatic Series. All of them separate episodes of this.

Poor Cathy Yan. Every director of an episode in the series has a nomination except her.

I absolutely love this show. After bingeing all 28 episodes in exactly 14 days, I’ve a massive void in my life without this. Bring on season four.

Was idly considering which character is most relatable and why because really I'd probably want to be most like Roman (dgaf, best watch), although people probably see me as more of a Greg (awkward knob), but I'm pretty much exactly Ken (dead-inside aimless alcoholic) really. 

Tom's the actual best though. I said it to my mum after watching a couple of episodes (she'd already seen them all bar the last two) and she called him insipid but I'd say the complete opposite. He's just pure entertainment.

• 1 month later...

I'm only midway through season 2 so I'm trying my utmost to avoid spoilers but I can't get over how good this is. Everything about it is absolute top-tier. The writing, direction, acting, score. Everything. The Sopranos and Mad Men have been my two holy grails of drama for so long but I think this might be better than either of them? Obviously hard to tell until the show actually ends.

Can't believe the first time I tried to watch it I turned it off 20 minutes into episode 1 and didn't go back to it for months.