IGNORED

Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO

Gotters

11 hours ago, Minion said:

So who was responsible for

Reveal hidden contents

Nirvana...

Edit:

Hmm google is suggesting Kendall which is what I thought was obvious but I seemed to have missed where this was revealed beyond Shiv going to his office after?

Spoiler

The boxes for the speakers were in Kendall's office. Which seemed a little on the nose, maybe it was Logan driving a wedge between them?

image.thumb.png.0b22d5998ec2fe0f9a9408c8433dcff8.png

Just watched Ep3 and thought it was superb. 

Its masterful how its a mix of very tense, sad and wickedly funny watching a bunch of pretty terrible people bickering (at best) or saying awful things (at worst) to each other. And they all believably shift between being cold, dark and calculating to incompetent and occasionally likeable (in most cases) throughout.

As with all great shows, it's the little things and minor characters that make it great.

Tom is good, when he's speaking to Greg (whose becoming a proper weasel in the middle of both sides) in his new office he is so non-threatening but so intimidating at the same time.

I've just realised how clever the opening / closing bits of this episode are:

Spoiler

The interview at the start seems like meaningless Kendall big ego fluff but it's demonstrating an important point - that despite the fact that he had a massive tirade against his siblings at the end of the last episode, he absolutely won't badmouth them or say anything hurtful or unfair about them to the media, at all. The siblings have a code where they don't speak ill of each other in public.

This sets up just how much Shiv's letter absolutely destroys him later on in the episode - she has broken the code he thought they all lived by and it breaks him, particularly as she's his favourite sibling.

That is a great pick up Isaac

I've had to rewatch the second half of the episode as was struggling with the clocks going back jet lag and dozed off a bit last night.

I did pick up on a moment when 

Spoiler

Logan says to Roman 'I never had you for a faggot' and Roman's reaction could have just been about the horrible unexpected word or maybe there is more to it.

Plus the score in this, oh my the score, it's magnificent. 

On 01/11/2021 at 11:59, PK said:
Spoiler

I might be misremembering but they seem to have changed Naomi Pierce's character a bit, last season she didn't strike me as the type of person to be laughing along with 'Good Tweet Bad Tweet' in the back of the limo - I assumed she would be a prominent influence on Kendall but she seems to have just been slotted into his entourage so far.

Spoiler

Yes - this is a bit of a bum note for me too.  Previously she seemed multifaceted - damaged, but like someone who knew that and wanted to get their shit together, and recognised a kindred soul.  Now she’s being some weird groupie and opening Rava’s good wine like a spoilt brat.  Weird.  Maybe she’s been relapsing…?

Anyone else think that

Spoiler

Roman and Gerry will get married this year?  That lil boi’s obsessed with her, but I think it‘ll be pure strategy on her part - e.g. if Logan tries to screw her over.  I love her. 

Amazing episode. The performances are so so good and the attention to detail is incredible. 

Greg and Tom are a great double act and Greg’s watch issues throughout the episode were hilarious. Some very Peep Show awkward comedy. Love the lines you catch off camera. 

So many possible angles and alliances to come. 

Spoiler

Logan is just an awful human being. He has the kids so they don’t know if they’re coming or going. Shiv seems to have nailed her colours to the mast now but mainly as a kind of childish revenge as Ken made her look stupid in what was supposed to be her grand unveiling as President.

It’s nebulous I think as to why the others didn’t sign the letter. Only Roman is fairly clear that he thinks it crosses a line but the older one just wants to be paid. Or is it because they still don’t want to cut themselves off from switching sides and aren’t keen to 100% hitch themselves to Logan’s dodgy wagon?

Shiv is starting to show her true colours. She knows Logan knew full well what was going on - it seems to be enough that there’ll be ‘nothing in any papers to embarrass her’. Interested to see what Tom is cooking up. Shiv encouraging him (but not) to go to jail as a fall guy was pretty grim.

Agree on some of the Naomi comments although I assumed she was relapsing with Kendall. They’ve not shown anything yet but their manic behaviour is a bit suggestive. 

Just seen there is an official HBO companion podcast to go alongside this - will give that a listen as think its got some access to the people involved in making the show/

Listening to one for 3rd episode just shown and it has Lucy Prebble (one of the writers) on, it's excellent to hear her explain the writing process and how it has to be grounded in reality, and comparisons to the real world like Enron or more recently Facebook handling crisis. 

The new series is tremendous so far. Jeremy Strong's performance as he walked down the corridor after reading Shiv's letter was fantastic - it's really impressive the way he can go from a super-confident CEO type to scared boy within a few seconds. I've listened to interviews with Jeremy Strong and he comes across as hilariously theatrical and self-obsessed, but you really can't argue with that kind of result.

I'm sure he'll come into his own later, but I think Connor is the only bum note so far. He's a fascinatingly horrible character, who sometimes comes across as pleasant and charming and with perhaps a core of something good inside, but ultimately seems to be the worst out of all of them given how removed he seems to be from any kind of real human relationship. This series, his role seems to be coming into rooms, disagreeing with people, and then walking out. They've given him a few funny lines, but he seems underused - although I'm sure it's building up to something.

14 minutes ago, K said:

I'm sure he'll come into his own later, but I think Connor is the only bum note so far.

His character, a bit like Naomi, seems to have shifted a little this season. Previously he came across as irredeemably daft and delusional with his plans to run for President and so forth. This season he seems a have more wit about him and is less unlike his other siblings. I agree he hasn’t been used much, other than as the butt of the odd joke but you sense he’s building to something. 

8 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

His character, a bit like Naomi, seems to have shifted a little this season. Previously he came across as irredeemably daft and delusional with his plans to run for President and so forth. This season he seems a have more wit about him and is less unlike his other siblings. I agree he hasn’t been used much, other than as the butt of the odd joke but you sense he’s building to something. 

That’s exactly it - his comments have generally been quite incisive and sensitive, which seems massively out of character. He makes the occasional clanger about storing wine in a mineshaft, but he’s been the voice of reason on a couple of occasions - which you would have thought would at least garner a reaction from Roman. 

Characters are generally rejigged to accommodate their role in the story so it'll be interesting to see what they do with Connor and Naomi.

I got a friend into The Thick of It after loving Succession. He's watched it fresh and pointed out the similarities in character between Greg and Ollie which I thought interesting, they do occupy a similar sort of role.

Also, I thought the last episode was about the best episode I've ever watched, and not just of Succession either - quite incredible television. Amazing how it's developed from a slightly clumsy start. 

This is just so dense and set over such a short timeframe, I don't think the latest episode covers more than 24h but is again superb, there isn't anything else quite like it.

Really liked the addition of Adrian Brody's awful character, he wasn't over acting or gurning doing his Peaky Blinders style turn either so fitted in really well.

I think it's a combination of the brilliant script and him not being one of the family that makes Tom's scenes so enjoyable, he's desperately trying to hang on to a place or relevance in this knowing that as he isn't blood he could be dropped at any moment. His desperation really comes across.

11 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Really liked the addition of Adrian Brody's awful character, he wasn't over acting or gurning doing his Peaky Blinders style turn either so fitted in really well.

Yes, it was the most natural performance I think I've ever seen from him.

I also don't think I've ever been so excited to see a shareholder meeting in my life!

I actually thought this was the first episode since the start of the first season that was merely just good and not the usual excellent standard it has been since the middle of season one.

Outside of the bits with Greg and Tom, I thought the rest was just rather dull and I ended up nodding off towards the end.

Greg had two bits of hilarious dialogue in short order - "Goons, stooges and roughjacks" and "I'm a sturdy birdy". Plus, him ordering a rum & coke from Logan was inexplicably side-splitting, as was his mad rambling after he chugged it.

This was a great episode. They really, really telegraphed the end with Logan, but the final section of him walking the dune path with Kendall was unwatchably tense.