IGNORED

Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO

Gotters

Latest episode has left me pretty deflated

Spoiler

as I think the show has peaked as the second half was so, so good that I can't see how it can ever be topped.

The whole scene after Tom and Logan come back from the bathroom was just an incredible mix of comedy and tension and farce - like some sort of best of Curb, Frasier and the very best TV drama.

I might just rewatch it again immediatly.

On 09/11/2021 at 08:41, PK said:

I also don't think I've ever been so excited to see a shareholder meeting in my life!

It was better than I ever could have possibly imagined. The best episode they've ever done.

Spoiler

"His urethra had wrestled control from his brain!"

That was fucking incredible. One of the best episodes of anything I’ve ever seen. So many great bits, and a perfect combination of drama and comedy. Almost too many good bits to mention, but 

Spoiler

I was utterly destroyed by the bit where a delirious Logan claims there’s a cat under his chair, and Tom cranes his neck to look and see.

I didn’t think they could top last week’s episode and in particular  “do you have a fetish for nearly killing Dad” but Roman nails it again. 

Spoiler

“It’s an imaginary cat alright”

The whole episode was perfect and 

Spoiler

Greg finding out he could sue Greenpeace

Was the icing on the cake. 

It's funny reading all these comments because I think this latest episode was a bit flat and the worst of the season so far (still better than anything else on TV though, obvs). It feels like everything has become too centred around corporate minutiae with Waystar, and not enough about other stuff. It's always been a big thing obviously, but it's eaten all other story strands and character concerns and forced everyone to sit in rooms together. I'm really hoping the series can spin a couple more plates now the meeting is done.

I loved that episode - it was a brilliant watch with so much great dialogue but I also agree that the second half of the season does need to move things on a bit as we've had 5 eps now that are all very similar, very high quality without doubt but all are the kids spinning round Logan trying to win his approval.

They've setup things brilliantly with everybody (apart from Connor) having an angle at a shot so I'd expect this to now start to shape up a bit.

What is Kendall's play here with Stewy ?

Spoiler

Is it as simple as he's getting one of the board seats they negotiated in the deal this episode ?

Stewy & Sandy are clearly important shareholders but don't run the company, they couldn't drop in Kendall as CEO unless there is some bigger shareholder uprising plan with Aidrien Brody's character coming back into play, which we did see being setup on the runway in ep4.

As much as I love it - I feel like 1 more season max would work best, not just because the longer it goes then the danger is it outstays its welcome or dips in quality, but believability of any sort of reconciliation between the characters that have wronged each other gets stretched the longe rit goes on.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't end like Robert Maxwell did - Logan falling off a luxury boat and 'drowning' at sea, with no one sure if it was suicide or murder because so many enemies and scandals were circling, and the children left to fight endless court cases in the smoking wreckage of what's left of the company.

Yeah this episode was an absolute masterclass.

General note on people saying it all feels a bit small, with people sitting in rooms, it’s almost as if they had to make it during some kind of pandemic.

I think they did the right thing, made it more like a stage play, it was either this or nothing until they could get it back on track and you just gotta keep rolling if a series is popular otherwise you’ll get canned.

Nothing else is even close to the quality of this at the moment, I was glued to last nights episode hanging on almost every scene.

Spoiler

They definitely seemed to be setting Roman up as flirting with his new political chum, and it's not the first time they've alluded to him being bi/gay, would certainly make things complicated if he followed through on that with this bloke.

Tom again stole every scene he was in, the sadness he's portraying under the surface all the time is fantastic. I loved him taking Greg to a Diner for bland food training.

Tom's parting to shot to Kendall about seeing him get fucked a lot and Logan never getting fucked was brilliant, you could see it landing on Kendall. 

26 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Quality stuff again.

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder if Logan has over-played his hand by picking the right-wing guy as his presidential pick? And maybe send Siobhan back to team Kendell?

Spoiler

I reckon so, I think Kendall would have got Tom on his side too after the diner meeting if he hadn't taken pictures the way he did.

Also, is Logans ex-wife marrying Peter Manion? :lol:

Just now, McFly said:
  Hide contents

I reckon so, I think Kendall would have got Tom on his side too after the diner meeting if he hadn't taken pictures the way he did.

Also, is Logans ex-wife marrying Peter Manion? :lol:

Nope, they changed some letters but clearly a nod back to The Thick of It, Peter Munion is the new hubby on the invites

6 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Not read the thread, as presumably you're all talking about it up to date, but just wanted to pop in and say I started watching this from the beginning last week, and have now seen the first four episodes, and, wow.  It's a bit bloody good, isn't it?

It's superb and IMO just gets better and better.

Latest episode was excellent again.

Can anyone name another show where every single character is so interesting and compelling and every actor at the top of their game/A+ from the first episode all the way through to mid way through series 3.