rllmuk
Alex W.

Keyforge

The starter boxed game comes with 2 decks that are the same in every copy and then 2 unique decks. The starter decks have extra text on them to explain the keywords. 

• Upvote 1

ah - having played it, a rules PDF and some decks would be enough.  Can use random tokens for everything else... I'm assuming there's somehwere to print off a PDF for the chain stuff?

There’s tons of places doing custom token sets and chain trackers - all of which work out cheaper than the frankly awful starter set. 

I’d have been happy if it had a copy of the rules/FAQ inside but I still had to hunt them down online. 

Some dice, a few tokens from other games and you’re sorted. 

Now I just need to find anywhere nearby that’s supporting it in Scotland as Settlers seems to be completely blanking it - I assume they can’t profit the same way they can selling individual  Pokemon and magic cards in a wallet.  

1 hour ago, Tourist said:

This is like the train that never comes - every time I check my Amazon order the due date has been pushed back another few days.

FLGS had some in this week so it might not be too far. Maybe use Gameslore or BoardGameGuru or Rules of Play?

I'm based in Japan which makes things a little more tricky. One of our business partners dropped off a couple of decks the other day so hoping to play it this week, but was hoping to use the starter pack to get my head round it...

Just tried a game with my colleague with some decks that were gifted to us by a business partner (the same ones who got me my Solo LEGO - nice guys!). My deck was called Holmes and my colleague's was called Watson. 

We managed two turns before we made too many mistakes and the bell went for the end of lunch. Rematch is next week. 

A lot of new concepts to get your head around if you're used to other CCGs, but some interesting stuff in there for sure!

Chaos Cards or Magic Madhouse has a bunch of stuff. This is a really top game, I bought each of my friends a deck at Xmas and I'm slowly teaching them all to play it.

A local boardgamer is putting together a blind tourny for this.

6 or so people, all never played before. All opening a random deck (I've warned them I'll sulk if I get a boring name) and playing a few games with booze.

We got the starter set just after Christmas and are really enjoying it so far. Looking forward to getting some more decks, and the 2-player playmat when it becomes available again!

I don't want to ask a silly question, but how do you start with this?  Do you have to buy the £30 Call of the Archons box, or can you start off with two Archon decks?

Cheers. How many tokens do you need? Is it something we could track on paper? We’re going on holiday next month and I just wanted some small to play while waiting in the airport or whatever.

20 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Cheers. How many tokens do you need? Is it something we could track on paper? We’re going on holiday next month and I just wanted some small to play while waiting in the airport or whatever.

There's a free unofficial app that does a great job of scoring keys and aember. You'll just need some proxy tokens to track damage and captured aember. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Stejay said:

Just to answer the question, there are the following in the starter set:

6 keys

2 chain tracker cards

2 chain tracker tokens

26 Aember tokens

22 damage tokens (a few of which are 3 and 5)

10 stun cards

10 power cards

More info here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/1/keyforge-call-of-the-archons/

These have been enough for both players when we’ve played so far.

Also, just to note, the game isn’t particularly space-friendly - you can have some massive battle lines which span over half a table. There are probably some techniques you can use to stack/overlap things a bit, but to have everything fully visible can require some real estate.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sureshot said:

Just to answer the question, there are the following in the starter set:

6 keys

2 chain tracker cards

2 chain tracker tokens

26 Aember tokens

22 damage tokens (a few of which are 3 and 5)

10 stun cards

10 power cards

More info here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/1/keyforge-call-of-the-archons/

These have been enough for both players when we’ve played so far.

Also, just to note, the game isn’t particularly space-friendly - you can have some massive battle lines which span over half a table. There are probably some techniques you can use to stack/overlap things a bit, but to have everything fully visible can require some real estate.

Thanks for the information. I think I'll give it a miss actually.

17 hours ago, scottcr said:

We didn’t bother with the starter pack... get a rules PDF and launch straight in to decks. Old school style.

Same

7 people, 7 decks. 1 night in with booze and pizza (Basically a cheaper night than us all buying a cinema ticket)

Good times were had. It's by no means given me "the itch" to rush to play again, or go buy lots and lots of decks - but if someone put togethera similar evening I'd go.

Took a like while to get into (and focus on Aember, not necessarily attacking/damaging) but once you work out your deck you're golden. I'm not sure there's enough player involvement versus RNG of deck and card draw to give it that edge (especially when you can't build a deck).

Forging and key and then "Bait and Switching" is evil though :lol: