rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

1 hour ago, Sprite Machine said:

Daaaaamn!! :omg:

I'm guessing Data won't be in it much (possibly a dream sequence?) given the cost of CGI de-ageing. He looked a bit... bloated. And those can't be his body parts in the drawer, can they? He blew up. Maybe B4 or Lore.

Whatever, I'm intrigued. Engage!

The disassembled parts would be Lore. B4 ended up becoming Data’s new body when his personality finally took over, so that’s still intact. Apart from Noonian-Soong’s recreated wife, who’s unaware of her nature, I don’t think there’s any more of his androids out there. Could be that Data made another daughter like Lal, and put in her programming to seek out Picard if he was unavailable and she was in danger. I can imagine quite a few parties would be interested in getting their hands on such a being. Section 31, for example (though they may still be reeling from their whiplash retcon in Discovery.) 

Great to see Seven again, as her and the Doctor were the only two of the Voyager crew that I wanted some follow through with once they got back to earth. Look forward to hearing her and Picard’s perspectives on both being survivors of the Borg. 

7 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Great to see Seven again, as her and the Doctor were the only two of the Voyager crew that I wanted some follow through with once they got back to earth. Look forward to hearing her and Picard’s perspectives on both being survivors of the Borg. 

They touched on this in the novels (destiny was it? can't remember), which have now obviously been blown out of canon :( Went something like "You were with them for seven days, I was with them for 19 years.  Can you remember every moment?".

11 hours ago, Clipper said:

Oh god that trailer... it hits the beats it should.

My head tells me the series cannot be any good.

But my heart aches for it to be half as good as Trek could be with Patrick Stewart at the helm.

Just one more moment that reaches the heights of the best TNG - just one - that is all I ask.

Make it so...

This pretty much sums up how I felt about the trailer. However...

D_8eLskVUAAfCQJ?format=jpg&name=900x900

This seems to be annoying me more than it maybe should be. A site safety gag seems out of place in the Star Trek universe.

I'm just finding stuff to nitpick, aren't I?

I wasnt 100% sure that was even a gag. I could well beleive someone might have a creepy blacksite full of ex-borg they arent quite sure what to do with.

I'm trying to figure out where this sits in the canon, now. Surely the events of TNG and onwards were jettisoned after the JJ reboot? Or is the TV shows still the main timeline and the new Trek films not?

Am I trying to give these shows too much credit?

imagine Q fucking with the prime timeline, to bring it bits of the kelvin-verse.

15 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Daaaaamn!! :omg:

I'm guessing Data won't be in it much (possibly a dream sequence?) given the cost of CGI de-ageing. He looked a bit... bloated. And those can't be his body parts in the drawer, can they? He blew up. Maybe B4 or Lore.

Whatever, I'm intrigued. Engage!

I assume they have to work with what's on screen to de-age, and weren't willing to shell out on a cgi diet as well? 

3 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I wasnt 100% sure that was even a gag. I could well beleive someone might have a creepy blacksite full of ex-borg they arent quite sure what to do with.

After posting that I started digesting the trailer more and came the black site idea too. Not a gag then but I guess tonally it still doesn't sit well with me. I dunno, I'm thinking about it too much.

I did hope there wouldn't be the possibility of the Borg being involved in some way. I considered First Contact the end of Picard's Borg arc, so to speak. But I suppose it's the easy money making way to go back to the Borg as it's the first thing people think of Picard. I've gone back to feeling the whole thing'll just be fan service in the end.

6 hours ago, davidcotton said:

They touched on this in the novels (destiny was it? can't remember), which have now obviously been blown out of canon :( Went something like "You were with them for seven days, I was with them for 19 years.  Can you remember every moment?".

They were already dead. After a long hiatus due to getting the rights, when it finally came back it was dealing with the aftermath of erm, a Section 31 being run by an AI being shutdown :/ 

I assume it's the cube in the trailer and maybe it's actually Hugh's, using it as some sort of facility for rehabilitating Borg or something.

Good trailer but that isn't saying much these days. I'm still incredibly wary of the fact it looks more like discovery and kurtzman being involved. 

Needed more darmok at jalad 

Cant help wonder what theyre flying around in either. It sure as fuck isnt any proper starfleet ship. Even for a small one, the visual language is all off. Too utilitarian.

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I assume it's the cube in the trailer and maybe it's actually Hugh's, using it as some sort of facility for rehabilitating Borg or something.

re-hugh-bilitating!

2vtz3pf.jpg

• Upvote 6

Tell you what, though - even with my reservations, I'll take this over what some of the DS9 staff suggested as a belated S8:

"Let's have Nog as captain of the Defiant...then blow it up and kill everyone on board to get the gang back together. And Bashir is now head of Section 31! And Kira is a Vedek and has a cadre of Jem'hadar that she's brought the word of the Prophets to that she'll sic on anyone who fucks with Bajor! And everyone's arguing and against each other and *then* the Sisko shows up to sort out the mess! Yeah!"

Like, what the Christ. Although admittedly, the Kira/Jem'hadar part does actually interest me.

52 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Tell you what, though - even with my reservations, I'll take this over what some of the DS9 staff suggested as a belated S8:

"Let's have Nog as captain of the Defiant...then blow it up and kill everyone on board to get the gang back together. And Bashir is now head of Section 31! And Kira is a Vedek and has a cadre of Jem'hadar that she's brought the word of the Prophets to that she'll sic on anyone who fucks with Bajor! And everyone's arguing and against each other and *then* the Sisko shows up to sort out the mess! Yeah!"

Like, what the Christ. Although admittedly, the Kira/Jem'hadar part does actually interest me.

I’m definitely not keen on that grimdark DS9 season 8 concept, but at least it doesn’t essentially erase DS9 from the Trek timeline,* like Nemesis did. And the Picard series seem to.

* I mean, the only thing from DS9 that’s been used in later Trek has been Section 31, in Flanderized form, and that’s most likely only because it appeared in Enterprise.

11 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I'm totally OK with appearances from characters from any series of Trek, apart from Michael Burnham.

Even Neelix?

Neelix is so much better and so much less annoying than Michael Burnham, it's not even funny. Who would have guessed that eventually they'd create such a terrible character that it rehabilitates Neelix? Seemed impossible, but here we are.

• Upvote 9