rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

4 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

spacer.png

Is the lefty use of that righty guitar deliberate? 

A whole lot more interested following that trailer.  I think that single engage sold it to me.

I would bet a weeks wages that it is Tom Riker and not Will and that he will be needed to help steal a ship or something along those lines,  when Picard goes rogue after Starfleet refuse to help out.

• Upvote 1

If any old characters are fair game then I want some space time continuum ultimate headfuck with Shatner, Brooks, Mulgrew, Bakula and lets have Chris Pine as well.

Anyone doing a TNG re-run in prep for Picard?

If so I would recommend listening to the Star Trek The Next Conversation podcast https://art19.com/shows/star-trek-the-next-conversation?year=2019

Its Trekkie Matt Mira (from Nerdist and the Discovery aftershow they did for season 1) and his writer pal on American sitcom The Goldbergs, Andy Secunda, who is a newcomer to TNG.

It's fun as they pick apart the show from a writing perspective episode by episode (especially Seasons 1 and 2) and also getting the views of a first time viewer of TNG. Think they are currently going through Season 5 and yes, have not long reviewed Darmok.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

If any old characters are fair game then I want some space time continuum ultimate headfuck with Shatner, Brooks, Mulgrew, Bakula and lets have Chris Pine as well.

I'd love to see Archer and Picard together. Isn't there technically a version of him that exists outside of time or whatever? The elusive wibbly wobbly shade that advised on the temporal cold war? Messy.

Sisko...also messy.

There's no way we don't see Janeway along with The Doctor at some point if Seven has a serious part to play.

1 hour ago, makkuwata said:

There's no way we don't see Janeway along with The Doctor at some point if Seven has a serious part to play.

As much as as I'd love to see Janeway again (I really do have a soft spot for Voyager), I can just see Mulgrew promptly saying "No" to returning after being told Jeri Ryan is also in it. 

edit: I'd like to see Bashir return, and see what became of him. 

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

, I can just see Mulgrew promptly saying "No" to returning after being told Jeri Ryan is also in it. 

What's the story behind that?

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

What's the story behind that?

That situation could go both ways, with Ryan saying no if Mulgrew was cast. The story goes that Mulgrew was not happy about Seven of Nine being introduced to Voyager, and was deliberately "difficult" with Ryan whenever they shared scenes. Apparently this got better for Ryan when she started dating one of the producers/showrunners (something I'm pretty sure Ryan herself has been open about).

What sticks for me is that Mulgrew hasn't really ever properly denied it, and doesn't like talking about it, she just lamented that the show needed a sexy woman to boost ratings (and let's be honest, the suit is fucking ridiculous). Shame, I like Mulgrew, she's great in everything I have seen her in (and also great as Flemeth in the Dragon Age games), so it sucks to find out she could be workplace bully. :(

That said, there are two sides to every story...

• Upvote 1

Mulgrew was angry with the casting of a cat suited 7 of 9 as both a competitor for screen time and as reductive female character

While we're on the subject of Seven of Nine:

Star Trek: Voyager was not as well received as previous Star Trek series. In 1997, producers decided to add a new character in an attempt to boost ratings. Actress Jeri Ryan was brought in to play Seven of Nine. Jeri's frequent separations from her husband, Jack Ryan, due to her acting schedule contributed to their decision to divorce in 1999.

In 2004, Jack Ryan became the Republican nominee for an open Senate seat in Illinois. During the campaign, the proceedings from Ryan's divorce became public, and contained details of his sex life that did not make him look good.

The scandal forced Ryan to drop out of the Senate race in July, leaving the GOP time to only find token opposition to Democratic nominee Barack Obama. Obama's landslide victory in the Senate race helped launch him onto the national stage, allowing him to pull off an upset victory in the 2008 Democratic primary and win the presidential election.

TL;DR- The lackluster writing of Star Trek: Voyager helped pave the way for the Obama presidency.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/c39y75/what_are_the_most_interesting_domino_effects_in/

• Upvote 2

:lol:

Legend. That's fantastic, haven't seen that before. Just the right kind of candid "She's a lovely person...but c'mon. Tits."

Siddig and Nana Visitor's kid would have to be mid twenties by now. Hell, throw them on the crew.

Edit: This is more for the general thread, but it just occurred to me the Bell riots will take place toward the end of Trump's theoretical second term. I can see that.

• Upvote 1

I’m telling you, that book is the motherlode if you want Trek actors and crew backbiting and settling old grudges in print.*

Here's Tracy Torme (who went on to create Sliders) on working with Gene Roddenberry on TNG.

E40913-E2-C487-4-CCC-B11-E-2933473-BA8-B

* Well apart from Scott Bakula, apparently he’s really lovely in real life and not one person has a bad word to say about him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Michael Pilar's "Fade In" makes Patrick Stewart and, particularly, Brent Spiner, sound quite difficult too.

Is that the unpublished Insurrection book? - all I remember is Stewart requesting everything be more sexy. Think I'd just watched his episode of Extras too which made it all the more funny.

• Upvote 1

Interesting to hear that about Spiner. Apparently he screwed up his lines the least in TNG, despite having some of the most complex ones, and always seems like an amiable and funny guy at conventions. Shall have to have a read. 

14 hours ago, Harsin said:

I’m telling you, that book is the motherlode if you want Trek actors and crew backbiting and settling old grudges in print.*

Here's Tracy Torme (who went on to create Sliders) on working with Gene Roddenberry on TNG.

E40913-E2-C487-4-CCC-B11-E-2933473-BA8-B

* Well apart from Scott Bakula, apparently he’s really lovely in real life and not one person has a bad word to say about him.

Is there a higher-res version of that? It's tiny on desktop.

15 hours ago, Festoon said:

Michael Pilar's "Fade In" makes Patrick Stewart and, particularly, Brent Spiner, sound quite difficult too.

Where can I find this? I can't seem to find it anywhere.