rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

3 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Where can I find this? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Think it was released as a free pdf.  Do a search for it and add pdf on the end.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, McCoy said:

I've got a PDF copy of the book.  I can PM it if needed. 

I got it from another kind chap on here, thanks though!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, deKay said:

It helps if you search for Pillar instead of Pilar.

Yes, that also. Worked that out after reading the first page of the PDF yesterday! :lol:

EDIT: Piller, actually!

4 hours ago, McCoy said:

I've got a PDF copy of the book.  I can PM it if needed. 

I’ll take you up on that please sir!

On 21/07/2019 at 11:45, partious said:

Unsurprisingly, it looks like Kurtzman Trek, and nothing like TNG. Has some fan service/cameos for people who liked TNG but feels a million miles away tonally/visually. Lots of space gunz and brooding.

Anyway, glad people are pleased with the cameos, maybe I'm too negative but I'm not feeling it. Maybe the best I'd expect is something Nemesis tier(Nemesis had the entire tng cast but was still poo).

Sorry for the negativity, maybe I shouldn't post this while the hype is on an upward trajectory...

I'll still be watching it.

Agreed, I'm still hoping it's not representative of the series as a whole, but the trailer makes it look completely rubbish. How many times now has secret ninja child weapon been done? Why the hell can't anyone just make a proper new star trek series!?

• Upvote 1

There's an Asian girl who seems to be some kind of secret government weapon, who kicks ass lethally when attacked, and who needs her identity to be protected by a gruff but kind captain?

That's a very well-played story, and the last time I enjoyed that story was Firefly.

• Upvote 4

Not to mention it was the plot to one of Patrick Stewart's most recent films (Logan).

• Upvote 2

This looks far too shiny and big budget to be an authentic 'Next Generation' continuation.

If they insist on digging up the past, for the full nostalgia buzz, then I want it filmed on studio sets and transferred to low quality tape for broadcast, preferably in 4:3 aspect ratio, damn it.

• Upvote 2

Finished reading Fade In. That was really, really interesting.

Yes old man Logan, yes Firefly, but the man has said no a thousand times. Probably literally a thousand times.

I’d hope his thinking isn’t geared toward “ageing out”; maybe that’ll end up proving to be the case, but there’s a reason those other stories exist and with Firefly in particular it’s probably in no small part to do with someone putting fan fiction to paper and getting it done.

Looking at that trailer again, they’re throwing us a bone or two as fans. The sting is 100% a Holodeck therapy session, I doubt we’ll get a Search for Spock happy ending for Data. “I don’t want the game to end”/“I should have done this a long time ago”/All Good Things dot dot dot. There’s probably nothing more there.

But for Picard, of all people, the actual story teased has unique potential. He’s Space dad. He’ll rise to the occasion by taking the step back and judging it for what it is.

He was space raped by this force, but he’s the guy who takes that step back and gives thought to ‘Is this young woman the next evolution of our species?’ Some sort of abstract tease of a Borg baby. There’s the nostalgia that counts.

I know Voyager made that all a bit messy, but “The Measure of a Man” is still at the core of what we think of when we think of the character and TNG. That and time travel. Time Travel is always good fun. But maybe less of that.

They might as well have released  that as the trailer. Then the chub faced reference at the end followed by the poop emoji making a sad face.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, makkuwata said:

But for Picard, of all people, the actual story teased has unique potential. He’s Space dad. He’ll rise to the occasion by taking the step back and judging it for what it is.

He was space raped by this force, but he’s the guy who takes that step back and gives thought to ‘Is this young woman the next evolution of our species?’ Some sort of abstract tease of a Borg baby. There’s the nostalgia that counts.

Are you suggesting that the writers are so creatively bankrupt and desperate for a plot that doesn't need to exist that...

Spoiler

This mysterious woman will be revealed to be the daughter of Locutus and the Borg Queen and the story will revolve around Picard deciding he needs to protect her from the Federation and raise her as his daughter?

Because that sounds terrible worryingly plausible.

Best of Both Worlds is easily the most sensible lead-in to this show (certainly the most memorable and well-known of all the TNG episodes, if not necessarily the best), so yes, if I was a creatively bankrupt studio executive, that's exactly the plot I would go for.

I'm hoping for a guest appearance from Tilly so Picard gets to do a "Shut up, Tilly" and flush her out of an airlock.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, knightbeat said:

Are you suggesting that the writers are so creatively bankrupt and desperate for a plot that doesn't need to exist that...

Reveal hidden contents

This mysterious woman will be revealed to be the daughter of Locutus and the Borg Queen and the story will revolve around Picard deciding he needs to protect her from the Federation and raise her as his daughter?

So hackneyed that I hadn’t even considered it, but also has such a terrible ring of truth that I felt breathless and horrified for a moment there. Oh god. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, knightbeat said:

Hide contents

I'm assuming she's the daughter of Hugh? Not sure why, but it feels like a logical plot and would provide a connection from her to Picard. 

I assumed that she's going to be revealed as

Spoiler

Picard's daughter after Locutus had been milked on the cube or something. Picard gets some family back in his old age (ironically as the result of his most traumatic experience) and eventually dies. Cue final scene of her finding his Ressikan flute and heading for the stars to continue his legacy.

Then Kurtzman would step back and claim that the series was actually named after her or something equally crap and moustache-twirling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I assumed that she's going to be revealed as

Hide contents

Picard's daughter after Locutus had been milked on the cube or something. Picard gets some family back in his old age (ironically as the result of his most traumatic experience) and eventually dies. Cue final scene of her finding his Ressikan flute and heading for the stars to continue his legacy.

Then Kurtzman would step back and claim that the series was actually named after her or something equally crap and moustache-twirling.

Oh god. Imagine if

It's a bait and switch, and Patrick Stewart's only in the first episode or something and the rest of the show is based around some Borg take on Michael Burnham that happens to be called Picard. There would be RIOTS.

• Upvote 3

She didn’t really look it, but then even the romulans in this don’t look that romulan when you compare them to TNG’s pronounced facial ridges. They look more like annoyed vulcans. 

Wasn't the show supposed to be about the after effects of the destruction of Romulus and their effect on Picard ?

Daughter of Tom Hardy Picard ?

• Upvote 2

Definitely a good move to link things back to fan favourite Shinzon.

• Upvote 6

If they're bringing Seven and Hugh in, then it'd be nice if they could bring Icheb back too, or at least mention that he's having a nice, successful life after the completely duff hand he was dealt from birth.

On 25/07/2019 at 20:14, Benny said:

Covered in the first bit. TLDR: Alex Kurtzman

This is great, really fun look at what his character should be. The poker scene :) not a FUCK given lmao