rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

For me, if Patrick Stewart deems it worthy, I’m in on trust. 

I don’t have a lot of that left after his involvement in Nemesis....

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, jcafarley said:

I don’t have a lot of that left after his involvement in Nemesis....

Away and don't be daft. Don't hold one duffer up against all the good stuff he's been in. What a duffer mind you. It was bloody awful.

8 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Kurtzman? I'm wary too but I'm trying to be a bit positive about it based on some of what I've seen so far.

That’s the one. Why am I thinking of Lindlehoff? Stupid brain. Kurtzman and all his Discovery co-conspirators that made the jump. 

Just for similarities sake, what were the initial reviews for Discovery like? 

11 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Away and don't be daft. Don't hold one duffer up against all the good stuff he's been in. What a duffer mind you. It was bloody awful.

All of the TNG films were embarrassing crap, though. First Contact was arguably the least-worst, but still crap. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, b00dles said:

Lacking urgency sounds like a positive when it comes to star trek. 

Exactly. I hate that nowadays so many people get 2 or 3 episodes into a show and moan about the slow pace. Just let shows breathe ffs.

• Upvote 1

I'd settle for camera work that doesn't make you want to vomit

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Exactly. I hate that nowadays so many people get 2 or 3 episodes into a show and moan about the slow pace. Just let shows breathe ffs.

They upped the pace and urgency drastically for the last few seasons of Game of Thrones and, well, there you go. For some shows, for certain types of story and styles of storytelling, letting the story breathe is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

All of the TNG films were embarrassing crap, though. First Contact was arguably the least-worst, but still crap. 

Can’t agree with this.  First Contact is a cracking Trek film. I also have a soft spot for Insurrection even though it is basically a double length Next Gen episode.  Generations is ok, but yeah Nemesis was rightly a franchise killer.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Hexx said:

"Hmm, Star Trek's like the navy isn't it? I know! Let's emphasise that by evoking the feeling of queasiness you get on ships at sea!"

Just now, Nick R said:

"Hmm, Star Trek's like the navy isn't it? I know! Let's emphasise that by evoking the feeling of queasiness you get on ships at sea!"

I just assume the camera operators all off their heads on crystal meth

They want to show off how they can seamlessly track their special fx, that's about the height of it.

• Upvote 2

I think the camera stuff was combination of a misguided attempt at a "unique" visual identity, and an equally misguided attempt to spice up "boring" scenes. There was a conference room scene at one point where the camera was spinning around the table for the whole thing.

I have very low expectations for Picard.

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

There was a conference room scene at one point where the camera was spinning around the table for the whole thing.

Drinking game!

Take a shot every time the camera spins

Down your drink everytime it goes upside down

You'll be dead by the half way point :D

• Upvote 1

I can't wait for this to hit Amazon Prime tomorrow.

So I'm watching it tonight.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Hexx said:

It's like the opposite of Lucas approach to talky scenes in the prequels. Stand there and say this while i point the camera at you. This is stand there and say this while we whirl around like demented monkeys. I haven't watched any of Discovery but if that's the state of it I never will.

17 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I haven't watched any of Discovery but if that's the state of it I never will.

Oh, that's the absolute least of its problems! Only watch out of morbid curiosity, otherwise avoid like the plague.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if I should have looked up what else akiva goldsman has got writing credits for and although a beautiful mind is in there, he also wrote screenplays for such classics as transformers dark knight, batman forever and batman and Robin, da Vinci code and insurgent as a few examples. Plus kurtzman is involved...

Pleasebegood pleasebegood pleasebegood. 

Just watched it.

It's....Interesting. Some nice little touches, the setup is pretty good. It's been fairly predictable so far. A decent start.

3 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I like Generations. So there you go.

That’s the most TNG of the TNG films, for at least getting the feel of the series tonally correct, even if it’s essentially just an extended bigger-budget TV episode full of plot holes.

(Picard isn’t on Netflix? Bugger that, then.)