rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

I really enjoyed it

Spoiler

I was glad that they didn't just ignore the awful B4 stuff from Nemesis. My only gripe was that suddenly television was a thing again. In TNG it was dismissed as a ridiculous invention from the 20th century and that all everyone did in the 24th century was read heavyweight books, listen to classical music and have disgusting Sherlock Holmes/Robin Hood related Holodeck sex while no one was looking because real people had no genitals.

• Upvote 3

Anyone know any good videos that will help set the scene?  i.e recap past events leading up to the new show, specifically from the films which I can't actually remember (especially with what happened to Data and his brother etc)

1 minute ago, davejm said:

Anyone know any good videos that will help set the scene?  i.e recap past events leading up to the new show, specifically from the films which I can't actually remember (especially with what happened to Data and his brother etc)

Nope. Go and watch them ya lazy bugger!

• Upvote 1

That was great! Some of the dialogue was a bit iffy (I believe that you believe that... :wacko:) but it sets up an intriguing story and it’s pure joy to see Captain Picard once again after all these years. Unlike Discovery it actually felt like I was watching Star Trek, with swooshy doors and replicators pouring earl grey by the bucketful. It looked and felt like a believable progression of the world Gene Roddenberry set up all those years ago. 

Looking forward to TNG cameos of the week and no filler please. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Nope. Go and watch them ya lazy bugger!

I've seen them, I'm just after a quick recap to refresh the memory.  It's been a while!  I'll take a look on YouTube for something, was just after a recommendation really.  

20 minutes ago, davejm said:

I've seen them, I'm just after a quick recap to refresh the memory.  It's been a while!  I'll take a look on YouTube for something, was just after a recommendation really.  

Go watch all of Nemesis as punishment.

• Upvote 2

I'm annoyed that Children of Mars isn't up on UK netflix. Bit of a pisser given the content.

Enjoyed that, far superior to that other Star Trek show that dare not speak its name.

It seemed really weird for a Star trek show to spend so much time on Earth, The old girl barely gets a look in what with all those exotic looking spheres of adventure in the rest of the Galaxy.

..and just discovered that

Spoiler

The 'F Bomb' gets dropped in Picard's presence in this show!

Something tells me it will have far more impact than the risible use of it in that other Star Trek show

3.png?width=284&height=300

Why does the dog have three bollocks? Is it a romulan?

2 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Are all the episodes out or is it a case of one a week?

One every Thursday.

While I'm looking forward to the return of Seven and Geordie's mate at some point, it's a shame the Doctor isn't in this series too. Given the themes the opener's gone with, it'd be interesting to see where he fits in as an AI/synthetic being now.

On reflection, I also liked how the dodgy/cheaty poker hand at the start could signify either of two things to have made a huge impact on Picard's life. There's only one that I'd like to see pop up again though.

Spoiler

He's a hologram not a synthetic being though? We saw Picard talking to one with all his gear remember.

51 minutes ago, MpM said:

..and just discovered that

Reveal hidden contents

The 'F Bomb' gets dropped in Picard's presence in this show!

Something tells me it will have far more impact than the risible use of it in that other Star Trek show

How did you discover that? Or was it in last night's episode and I missed it?

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

How did you discover that? Or was it in last night's episode and I missed it?

Spoiler

lfdG8Ql.jpg

Right then. As minor as that is, any chance we can keep spoilers for upcoming episodes out of this thread, or prefaced to show they're for a future episode, please? 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:
  Hide contents

He's a hologram not a synthetic being though? We saw Picard talking to one with all his gear remember.

Yeah but the Doctor had his program altered and upgraded at various points and, by sheer dint of being active so much, grew and developed as an actual being to a point where he was essentially indistinguishable. He went from being a common and rather limited virtual assistant kind of thing to something much more. And, given the situation and themes the pilot appears to be going for, I think there's grounds to suggest he could be seen as a borderline case.

Nah he's still a hologram and just a program. Could be stored anywhere and still in heavy use according to the show.

Spoiler

He's not a synthetic or Borg like character.

He's an artificial life form, and he's effectively alive as anyone else by the end of Voyager, never mind whatever may have happened to him further. EMH's are just programmed to fix emergencies then be deactivated when not needed - he has freedom of movement, develops and interest in art and photography, likes to sing, develop and improve himself as a 'person'. Saying he's 'just' a program is enormously reductive, you can just as easily say the same of Data, and maybe even Lore, they just have different shells.

Is this actually good, or just a-lot-better-than-Discover good? Because I only watched the pilot of Discovery and thought it was execrable, whereas quite a lot of people here were all like "ooh this is promising". From the trailer Picard looks like it's in the same style, which doesn't appeal to me at all.

The only thing that's got me hyped is that review which said it lacks urgency.

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

Is this actually good, or just a-lot-better-than-Discover good? Because I only watched the pilot of Discovery and thought it was execrable, whereas quite a lot of people here were all like "ooh this is promising". From the trailer Picard looks like it's in the same style, which doesn't appeal to me at all.

The only thing that's got me hyped is that review which said it lacks urgency.

It's all right. A fairly silly plot (even by Trek standards), some dull characters and some silly fights. If Pat Stew isn't in it I'd have binned it inside 15 minutes. But Pat Stew is in it you know? So you kind of have to watch. 

It's 100 times better than Discovery though.

It's pretty solid. Interesting mystery. Nice calm pace. Patrick lifting the lines into something better. Learned some lessons from modern TV storytelling.

If you're a fan, that's all you want from a bit of TNG. I'm not wanting HBO drama in space.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, @Pob, I fucking loved it, but it's definitely a little of column A, and a little of column B. 

The ratio depends on how much you love TNG/Sir Patrick. :)

Well I thought that was good - especially given some of the late info coming out.

It's not "slow" as some of the reviews have said, it just has scenes which breath and people talk normally. It's people having conversations (with the camera staying still)

They could still muck it up, and I don't like the isolationish federation teased - but it's showing good potential with something to say

Loved Picard being an old man. They're not trying to unbelievably making him an action hero. He's winded by a flight of stairs and nearly out of commission after 2. But not as a "joke" just realistically

• Upvote 2

It's comfortably the best first episode of any Star Trek series to date (although I've never watched the cartoon so not included it). It's not 10/10 amazing, it's not so good that I don't think there's potential for it to go pear shaped later on, and there's a couple of points here and there that feel a bit off/poorly considered but it's highly promising and looks to be going to interesting places as a continuation of the TNG universe. It's just lovely to see Jean-Luc again and nice for things to actually progress for a change instead of always looking backwards to old ground already covered.

And yes, the 'slow' thing is really more like 'not the hyper-kinetic breathless constantly rushed pacing' nonsense that seems to comprise of a lot of stuff these days.

Plus calling it now: Number One will get blown up/shot at and Picard will cry then there'll be a flash and it's Q laughing at him for never realising he was right under his nose licking his balls all along for a wind up.

• Upvote 4

Surprisingly good, as others have said. Though it did niggle to see 2009 Star Trek Romulans as opposed to TNG ones. Just felt distracting and unnecessary. Also...

using the same supernova plot point from that film.

Either make this 100% the prime timeline or set it elsewhere. 

It is the prime timeline, isn't it? 

It's post-Romulan destruction that Nero goes back, destroys Vulcan and creates the Kelvin timeline, right?

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

It is the prime timeline, isn't it? 

It's post-Romulan destruction that Nero goes back, destroys Vulcan and creates the Kelvin timeline, right?

Oh yeah. Tbh I’d forgotten a lot about that garbled mess of a film. I guess the supernova plotline checks out then. Still niggles that they ditched the TNG Romulans, through. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

46 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Surprisingly good, as others have said. Though it did niggle to see 2009 Star Trek Romulans as opposed to TNG ones. Just felt distracting and unnecessary. Also...

Hide contents

using the same supernova plot point from that film.

Either make this 100% the prime timeline or set it elsewhere. 

The Romulans are the same (TNG was where they got the brow ridges). It's only TOS where they are indistinguishable from Vulcans in the looks department.