rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

How much does seeing the short trek add to ep1? As in should we watch that first? 

15 minutes ago, cassidy said:

How much does seeing the short trek add to ep1? As in should we watch that first? 

I didn't bother and don't feel like I've missed out.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I really enjoyed it

Hide contents

I was glad that they didn't just ignore the awful B4 stuff from Nemesis. My only gripe was that suddenly television was a thing again. In TNG it was dismissed as a ridiculous invention from the 20th century and that all everyone did in the 24th century was read heavyweight books, listen to classical music and have disgusting Sherlock Holmes/Robin Hood related Holodeck sex while no one was looking because real people had no genitals.

In their defense, we only see tv being used for news-type stuff, which seems like the one thing you could make a solid case for as an essential service.

Also, in regards to him being old and frail, doesnt that jarr a bit with the characters we saw in TNG comfortably living to over 100?

Oh, and as far as pacing goes, was anyone else expecting them to spin out the Dahj-identity thing into a who season long subplot, just for them to resolve it in 5 minutes? I actually liked that though, because it means we'll be examining other plot points instead, probably something more esoteric.

And regarding Holo Doc, I think he'd be regarded as an interesting edge case since he has no physical presence. Sure, a sentient program could still fuck stuff up, but at least you can keep them contained.

That was...

...Really good?!?!

God, that was bloody good. Much better than what I was secretly expecting.

Also really good to see Michael Okuda's interface design again after all these years.

Spoiler

Odds on Bruce Maddox secretly building androids with the Romulans, then?

Also, Number One! :wub:

I liked it for the most part. Feels like the good kind of Picard driven TNG episodes, where he's a detective, not a captain... 

It didn't need the mad ninja shit though.

Loved it. 10/10 from me.

I hope that awful Discovery just buggers off now. 

Everyone is going to universally love this, be thankful that good Trek is back (long time since DS9) and then Discovery is going to hit in a few months and not just poison the well, but salt the earth and then piss over it using said poisoned well water.

I also found Harry Treadaway's front teeth incredibly distracting which is weird, because I've never noted them in anything else I've seen him in.

Yeah, this was a solid start, and already better than anything from Discovery. I'm very, very pleasantly surprised. :)

I was also happy to see that it's not just going for the nostalgia button. It has a few nods to TNG, but otherwise this feels like something very new for Star Trek.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

It is the prime timeline, isn't it? 

It's post-Romulan destruction that Nero goes back, destroys Vulcan and creates the Kelvin timeline, right?

What happens is Spock attempts to create an artificial black hole using red matter in order to consume the super nova threatening Romulous but it goes wrong and both nero and spock are sucked into the black hole while watch Romulous get blown up.  The black hole sends both Nero and spock back in time.

• Upvote 1

I’m all in on this. Admittedly I was all in on Discovery but I think this one’s actually good.

Enjoyed.

One line near the beginning

”I don’t want the game to end”

I found this really interesting.  Harks back to adventures with Q/ the trial of humanity, but also weirdly of Sisko, the prophets and his trying to explain linear time to them...  They accused him of wanting “the game to end”, ending his life, when he took the Defiant into the wormhole and met the dominion fleet.  Probably a big leap but it seemed a little coincidental.  Not saying anyone DS9 will pop up but Picard was always very protective of Bajor as well.

Im now watching Best of Both Worlds, Part 1.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Is this not available in 4K??

Nope. Apparently it's CBS's fault. I'd call CBS a bunch of twats, but I watched it in 1080p via Prime on my 65" TV and it looked amazing. The bitrate is clearly good enough, so I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I really enjoyed it

Reveal hidden contents

I was glad that they didn't just ignore the awful B4 stuff from Nemesis. My only gripe was that suddenly television was a thing again. In TNG it was dismissed as a ridiculous invention from the 20th century and that all everyone did in the 24th century was read heavyweight books, listen to classical music and have disgusting Sherlock Holmes/Robin Hood related Holodeck sex while no one was looking because real people had no genitals.

Spoiler

Lore is probably in another draw somewhere, they probably will overlook him in this show but how he just ended up disassembled never felt right with me. 

I’m a bit said that Dahj is already kinda gone.  I liked her enough by the end of the episode and when they implied she Data’s daughter I kept thinking of Lal.

That was mint.  Proper Trek is back & Discovery can just go do one.

Full on 10/10 from me.

• Upvote 6

It was like they simply dropped back into TNG 20+ years later. The storyline... the pace... the delivery, the plotting and the gravitas. It felt like TNG once again in terms of tone and delivery. I am shocked that noone from TNG writing team was involved as it is tonally so recognisable on all those levels. And the one thing it confirmed to me is that Patrick Stewart IS the best actor ever to don the uniform - utterly mesmerising in that tv interview scene - effortless. I know some will point to Sisko , and there is no embarrasment in being wrong in this instance as he is a good actor but Stewart at age 79 is just knocking it out of the park and giving us a character he played 20 yrs ago and adding more to it and not pretending the intervening years did not happen.

I quite enjoyed the new timeline films in a "not really star trek" way (like a galaxy quest style modern star trek homage) and the Discovery stuff is just abysmal... and yes there were some funky bits for the youngsters like the super ninja action stuff but I can forgive that.

It might all yet go to shit but I will happily take each episode as it stands and add it to my personal TNG canon until it turns all discovery (and I hope it doesn't)

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nope. Apparently it's CBS's fault. I'd call CBS a bunch of twats, but I watched it in 1080p via Prime on my 65" TV and it looked amazing. The bitrate is clearly good enough, so I wouldn't worry about it. 

The lack of HDR is more annoying, but the rest of it was so damn good I’ll shut up. 

Just now, Vespa Alex said:

The lack of HDR is more annoying, but the rest of it was so damn good I’ll shut up. 

how can lack of HDR or 4k be annoying?

is King Kong or Night of the living Dead annoying due to lack of colour?

Jebus!

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

Yes, you should watch it first cause it’s excellent and does cause a great “oh....” moment. 

6 minutes ago, Clipper said:

how can lack of HDR or 4k be annoying?

is King Kong or Night of the living Dead annoying due to lack of colour?

Jebus!

Because it makes more of a difference to picture quality than 4K and it’s something that should be there on a flagship tv show. 

I loved this, Patrick Stewart just is the best Captain and he slipped back into it effortlessly.  I liked the relatively slow pace too, you can feel a good story building up behind it. Hopefully they can keep this up. Thoroughly enjoyed. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, davejm said:

Anyone know any good videos that will help set the scene?  i.e recap past events leading up to the new show, specifically from the films which I can't actually remember (especially with what happened to Data and his brother etc)

startrek.com has a primer for you

1 minute ago, deKay said:

startrek.com has a primer for you

I found a couple of YouTube videos, but I was off sick today and sofa bound so I actually watched Nemesis again :D

I really enjoyed the first episode of Picard.  Some iffy dialogue in places, but I'm excited for more.  It's promising.

6 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Surprisingly good, as others have said. Though it did niggle to see 2009 Star Trek Romulans as opposed to TNG ones. Just felt distracting and unnecessary. Also...

Hide contents

using the same supernova plot point from that film.

Either make this 100% the prime timeline or set it elsewhere. 

I thought using that plot point was a great idea. It is 100% in the Prime timeline.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Also, in regards to him being old and frail, doesnt that jarr a bit with the characters we saw in TNG comfortably living to over 100?

He’s 94, apparently.