rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

That was outstandingly good. The anti-Discovery. Far better than I expected. 

Bit confused by some of the back story though as I haven’t seen Nemesis and it’s been years since I saw the 2009 movie. Guess I’ll be watching those this week then. Is all the stuff about Mars new for this show or does that come from one of the earlier movies?

I kind of love how the wonderful always right moral example galaxy heroes Starfleet have fallen somewhat. The first genuine large scale galactic disaster they‘ve encountered has totally changed their approach to the universe. The whimsical innocent cheesy nature of TNG makes sense when compared because if an empire like the Federation existed where largely most problems had been solved via science etc and everything was basically very safe and fine, everyone would be righteous condescending tedious douches going around telling the galaxy how great they are and recruiting others to join, just like they were in TNG etc. 

Jean Luc is a relic from a more innocent time in the empire’s existence. I wasn’t at all interested in the lead up but this unexpected approach they’ve taken to the whole universe has really refreshed my interest in the franchise and got my attention.

• Upvote 1

It was pretty good. Bit odd they didn't mention Noonien Sung at any point and I'm not sure why the Romulans seemed to not have their more generic sort of stoic voices and that. Way better than discovery though so that's all good. 

I also don't really see what the "lacking in urgency" chat was about, I thought it fairly few along and covered quite a lot of stuff. 

Definitely won't be a hate watch for the rest of the series going from this one, even though there did look like more pyew pyew was coming but I hope that's just to make the season trailer look more exciting (even though it isn't needed).

• Upvote 1

I will have the house to myself this afternoon, whereupon I will be sitting on the couch with my dog, watching this with a mug of tea.

I might even put my pyjamas on to commemorate the moment.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Clipper said:

It was like they simply dropped back into TNG 20+ years later.

Absolutely this. The opening scene was like seeing old friends again after years apart. I made me feel things, I may have even got something in my eye.

I was hoping it would be good, but was expecting it to be meh. It turned out to be amazing! I hope it continues this good.

9 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

Absolutely this. The opening scene was like seeing old friends again after years apart. I made me feel things, I may have even got something in my eye.

I was hoping it would be good, but was expecting it to be meh. It turned out to be amazing! I hope it continues this good.

For me, when he was in his storage unit, and a little fanfare played when he arrived at the archives.... sniff.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, sprite said:

For me, when he was in his storage unit, and a little fanfare played when he arrived at the archives.... sniff.

The look on his face when he caught site of the stargazer...

Was it my shite tv or were the dialogue/music mix all over the place a bit (common complaint for me on most modern dramas).

9 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Is all the stuff about Mars new for this show or does that come from one of the earlier movies?

The Mars thing is new, sometime between the last TNG movie and this.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Picard taking in Romulan refugees at Chateau Picard was such a nice touch given their history in TNG and felt very much like something the character would do. I loved the way they were all at ease with eachother.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

I didn't bother and don't feel like I've missed out.

I had no idea there was a relevant short, and found the presence of androids living among humans in the Star Trek universe to be very jarring and a major retcon.

I am going to be the voice of dissent here and say that I found that first episode quite dull. Given the world building and mystery box elements they were creating I reckon they could have paced it all a bit better. Hopefully it's just a case of having a double length first episode being split a bit badly into two individual episodes.

And speaking of which, I must protest strongly against this being the best pilot episode of a Star Trek TV show!

the age thing is interesting - everyone said (and the jokes were) ooh they are a bit old when the old crew did ST6 (and 5 and 4 for that matter) - but shatner was "only" 60 for ST6 and 55 for ST4 when the age comments began - and then 63 for Generations. Patrick Stewart is only 9 years younger than Shatner and his last main film he was 62 and now obviously 79 - when TNG stopped he was 54. He is carrying the age way better than Shatner did as Kirk.

And nice to see "one take Frakes" is helming three episodes. His direction is never pushing the envelope but it is dependable and reliable in general.

14 minutes ago, Clipper said:

And nice to see "one take Frakes" is helming three episodes. His direction is never pushing the envelope but it is dependable and reliable in general.

His have been the better discovery episodes. At least directed-wise, not much you can do with a crap script and bad actors. All the other directors seem to try too hard with spinny cameras, flashing lights and all that. Frakes gets the job done with experience and style without showboating (and failing at it). 

I wasn’t blown away by this. But I’m genuinely interested to see where it goes. Something I could never say about Discovery.

• Empathy 1

I liked that first episode.

Spoiler

Though the action scenes did make it come across as "Picard teams up with River Tam from Serenity"!

Couple of minor criticisms...

Spoiler

Weird choice to have Picard returned home while unconscious, instead of awakening in a San Francisco hospital and being questioned. Even if the trip home can be explained by this being a world where you can be instantly transported across a planet, you'd think the authorities would want to question him directly.

The fact that the TV interview was described as Picard's first seemed to contradict his comment that he's been working to raise awareness of the Romulan supernova disaster.

• Upvote 1

I look forward to the finale, where it turns out Picard's neurological disease from 'All Good Things...' is back in force and the whole show has been in his head. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoeK said:

I will have the house to myself this afternoon, whereupon I will be sitting on the couch with my dog, watching this with a mug of tea.

Let us know what the mug of tea thinks of it.

47 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I liked that first episode.

Hide contents

Though the action scenes did make it come across as "Picard teams up with River Tam from Serenity"!

Couple of minor criticisms...

Hide contents

Weird choice to have Picard returned home while unconscious, instead of awakening in a San Francisco hospital and being questioned. Even if the trip home can be explained by this being a world where you can be instantly transported across a planet, you'd think the authorities would want to question him directly.

The fact that the TV interview was described as Picard's first seemed to contradict his comment that he's been working to raise awareness of the Romulan supernova disaster.

Question him about what?

Spoiler

They literally said the “CCTV” just showed him on the roof on his own the whole time 

28 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Let us know what the mug of tea thinks of it.

The mug of tea was fairly non-plussed about it.

However, I thought it was absolutely wonderful. It felt like a proper intelligent bit of sci-fi story telling where the majority of the effects and stuff were there simply to elevate the tale being told rather than what seems to happen with most stuff these days.

If it can continue on in the way the first episode does then I think this’ll be one of the best pieces of drama I’ve seen for a long time.

Stewart was acting his heart out...I admit to getting quite emotionally swept up in some of the exchanges.

Great stuff all ‘round.

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed this a lot.

But... I'm worried that once again the show is starting with a big story rather than being the procedural which I think of Star Trek as. Yes they evolved wider plots which were great but at its core I enjoyed the show because I didn't know what it would be about week to week.

25 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Enjoyed this a lot.

But... I'm worried that once again the show is starting with a big story rather than being the procedural which I think of Star Trek as. Yes they evolved wider plots which were great but at its core I enjoyed the show because I didn't know what it would be about week to week.

There'll never be a week to week Star Trek again, I'd imagine.

There’s definitely a balance that could be struck though. The new Lost in Space does it well, I think: there’s an ongoing storyline but also usually a “threat of the week” for the characters to overcome. So each episode feels distinct without it being a completely disjointed series. 

Discovery does this sometimes too (the first few episodes of season 2 were very much like this) but that show’s got its own problems. 

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Its called The Orville.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

The Orville is week to week Trek in all but name.

Edit:  Looks like I was beaten to it.

22 minutes ago, Gord said:

Its called The Orville.

In tone, yes, but official Trek will never head back there.

I've a bit of a problem with all modern Trek losing the air of positivity of TNG and being a bit contemporary in it's concerns, to be honest.

25 minutes ago, Festoon said:

In tone, yes, but official Trek will never head back there.

I've a bit of a problem with all modern Trek losing the air of positivity of TNG and being a bit contemporary in it's concerns, to be honest.

There’s a few suggestions that we may actually get a Pike/Spock series. That’s the best bet for an official retro Trek. 

So by the time of this series which Enterprise do you think we're on? -F? G? Who's the Captain, do you reckon? Barclay?