rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

Have they? I must admit, I'm struggling to recall. There were cigars in Deja Q I guess. 

So, no one else has mentioned it but

did they just retcon that the heavy brow Romulans are that way because they're Northerners?

Episode three, and Dr Jurati is back (the cybernetics expert from the Daestrom Institute)

She's going to be a baddy right?

We didn't see her conversation with Commodore Oh, and she just rocks up at Picard's place at the same time as the assassins, and 'accidentally' shoots the last remaining bad guy, then asks to come on this secret mission. Raffi then makes a point about Jurati too about how she hasn't been security background checked..

• Upvote 2

Google reminds me that the Federation ambassador in ST5 also smoked.

And there's a No Smoking sign in Starfleet Academy at the bridge simulator. Which would be odd if smoking didn't exist.

Dg3AwAK.jpg

Also in the Starbase and Enterprise transporter rooms in Search for Spock. Seems smoking and transporting don't mix.

3yKUpk6.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scruff said:

So, no one else has mentioned it but

Reveal hidden contents

did they just retcon that the heavy brow Romulans are that way because they're Northerners?

Yeah, that....wasn’t great. Clumsy attempt to blend old and new Trek. 

28 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

Episode three, and Dr Jurati is back (the cybernetics expert from the Daestrom Institute)

Hide contents

We didn't see her conversation with Commodore Oh, and she just rocks up at Picard's place at the same time as the assassins, and 'accidentally' shoots the last remaining bad guy, then asks to come on this secret mission. Raffi then makes a point about Jurati too about how she hasn't been security background checked..

My thoughts too.

And I honestly didn't catch the identity of the Romulan station supervisor. Any reason why they didn't telegraph that? Is it only an Easter Egg then?

That was very good, but when did the Federation start using money again? :unsure: 

On 06/02/2020 at 20:13, JohnC said:

Vasquez Rocks

Hide contents

playing itself for a change!

Visiting there is on my bucket list, though I was slightly disappointed to find you can park right at the bottom of the hill 

1 hour ago, Wizcat said:

Hide contents

That’s my guess too, all seemed a little neat. 

I thought that was good, definitely felt like the end of a pilot episode arc. I missed:

Spoiler

That the recovered Borg Guy was Hugh. When was that said? 

Also, is it supposed to be the case that anyone who is de-Borg’d becomes mentally incapacitated, or that’s just the Romulans?

They said he was

Spoiler

Hugh

When they called him by his name. You all missed it!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Scruff said:

Was the second EMH we saw an homage to the TNG 'Space Oirish' episode? That accent was up there with Don Cheadle's Ocean's 11 one.

He was an ENH, not an EMH.

Yup after last weeks slight drop off this was the dog’s bollocks again.  Ending was lovely.:hat:

Fucking hell, the amount of times I make specsavers jokes on this forum has started me wondering ... is it me? Do I have, like, superior eyeballs to everyone else, or something? Unless you haven't watched TNG and therefore don't know who Hugh is, how could you not recognise him in this episode? I clocked him straight away! And yes, the show even states his name. Are you fuckers so old you need hearing aids in addition to the coke bottles you clearly fucking need for your eyeballs? ;) 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Fucking hell, the amount of times I make specsavers jokes on this forum has started me wondering ... is it me? Do I have, like, superior eyeballs to everyone else, or something? Unless you haven't watched TNG and therefore don't know who Hugh is, how could you not recognise him in this episode? I clocked him straight away! And yes, the show even states his name. Are you fuckers so old you need hearing aids in addition to the coke bottles you clearly fucking need for your eyeballs? ;) 

And he was in all the trailers and promo stuff and hyped almost as much as Seven's return. 

Ah, I stayed away from most of the trailers apart from the main one. 

Can we bin off the likely to be terrible Section 31 show and have a Laris and Zhaban do Tal Shiar things one instead.

• Upvote 4

One of the plot points about this episode got me wondering a bit.

Spoiler

All the mental reclaimed Romulans were assimilated right before that cube got all fucked up. And the only other Romulan to be assimilated as far as I can call was in an episode of Voyager, where they stumble upon a bunch of former drones living in a commune after...their cube got all fucked up.

Is the implication there's something 'special' about Romulans that make them particularly incompatible with the Borg, ala the way Icheb (one of the Borg kids Voyager rescued) was specifically engineered to destroy them. Oh gawd, we are getting the 'Romulans are Vulcan synths' thing aren't we?

Anyway, much better episode than last week but again, I really wish Ms Doyle was coming with Jean Luc on his trip instead of staying home looking after the chateau.

• Upvote 1

As much as I'm glad the Irish Romulans aren't tagging along, it actually makes zero sense that they're not going with him.

Im not using spoiler tags because this is a weekly show and the episode is out. 

Sure, take the scientist who no-one knows anything about along with you, but we, the special forces Romulans who love you and have cared for you and could definitely be of help if you run into more Romulans/Tal Shiar? Nah, we're good thanks, we'll mind the grapes here while you get yourself killed in space. 

Like I said, zero sense. It's just a bit of bad storytelling. 

6 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Did I see the words 'Gorn Egg' flash up at one point!?

Yes you did! But I rewound that scene and it was the only Easter egg :hat: I spotted in that stream of text.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Thor said:

In day-to-day life, I'm quite bad with faces. Enough to be thrown if someone gets a new haircut, etc. But even I recognised him, based on where his facial implants used to be!

Yep, this weeks was a better episode.

Spoiler

I am intrigued to know why Picard's former First Officer hates him so much? Is it because she lost her Starfeet post because of him resigning? If so that doesn't sound right, I thought people In the future didn't really care for jobs, or earn money, and could live as they pleased.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

As much as I'm glad the Irish Romulans aren't tagging along, it actually makes zero sense that they're not going with him.

Im not using spoiler tags because this is a weekly show and the episode is out. 

Sure, take the scientist who no-one knows anything about along with you, but we, the special forces Romulans who love you and have cared for you and could definitely be of help if you run into more Romulans/Tal Shiar? Nah, we're good thanks, we'll mind the grapes here while you get yourself killed in space. 

Like I said, zero sense. It's just a bit of bad storytelling. 

Even from the perspective of their own personal safety they surely wouldn’t want to stay at the vineyard, right? A crack squad of Romulan assassins could beam in any second and do them. They have to sleep some time, and they know where they sleep, it doesn’t really make sense for them to stay there. 

Slight aside but I though the bridge of the ship they used looked a bit like the Rocinante from The Expanse. 

• Upvote 1

I'm watching this at the same time as catching up on the Expanse and it's just nowhere as gripping. Jean Luc is a shadow of himself which makes me sad and the whole setup has no sense of the mystery or wonder some of the old Trek used to have...it's all so obvious...

• Upvote 1

”Engage”
/spaceship jumps to warp

Me: Fucking finally !

”Next time on Star Trek: Picard”
/scene set in Picard's front room yet again.

spacer.png

• Upvote 2