rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

I think the biggest problem so far is that there’s no sense of threat. It’s ok for the antagonists’ motives to not be entirely clear at the moment, but for them to be boring as well is a fatal combination. Between the charismatically void baddies, with their incompetent hit squads and tedious ‘one more week! This time I really mean it, grrrr!’ posturing, I can barely keep my eyes open when they’re on screen. 

I’m really enjoying all the Picard bits but the two pantomime villain Romulans and the woman with the massive chin on the Borg cube are dull, dull, dull. 

I'm really enjoying this although a lot of this is down to seeing Picard somewhat buying into his own saviour status and not having the social capital to back it up along with the waning of his diplomatic skills.

I mean what the fuck was he trying to achieve with

walking into the pub after such a cold reception and warnings that social media on the planet were shit posting about him?

• Upvote 1

I'm just watching it for the moment when the sleeping Borg all jump up and go "Surprise assimilation party, bitches!" and start fucking shit up, First Contact style.

Episode 4 was a disappointment. Sliding about on a Borg cube and Picard doing a filler episode because he decided that he wanted a samurai. Not the Trek for which I was hoping.

• Upvote 3

Episode 4 was the first of two episodes this season directed by Frakes.  So there's a decent chance the other one is going to be ... alright?

On 14/02/2020 at 00:05, Thor said:

Enterprise is better than this, and I haven't even got to S3 of that yet. That said, the first four episodes of Enterprise were dogshit, so there's still hope. The storytelling in this ... it's leaving a lot to be desired. Sliding on socks, atrocious villains, and now we have space legolas.

Picard may be in it, and sure 7 of 9 just turned up, but this ain't Star Trek. The Orville is still the best new Star Trek show, by such a long way it's fucking hilarious.  

Let's not forget it took until series 3 for TNG to get consistently good

• Upvote 2

I didn't mind it, with one exception - doctor scientist lady on the ship. When we met her in Okinawa she seemed like an awkward tech geek - this time she seemed like a different person. I didn't invest much time in Discovery but it felt like she was serving a similar role to Tilly in that, like they were going for an 'everyman' character for the audience to identify with or something. It didn't work.

Yeah, I guess her comment about space was supposed to be adorable in a ditzy Tilly way, but it just made me roll my eyes.

2 hours ago, hub2 said:

I thought it was fine, but what they hell did they do with Alison Pill's character between the previous episodes and this one?

replaced her with fucking Tilly from Discovery

• Upvote 4

hahaha i didnt read the latest few comments. it's like we've all come to the same conclusion fairly rapidly.

the first 3 episodes were great (some caveats but great)

this one was more strained. Picard's bits were just fine and I liked the strong scenes with the Romulan refugees.

Problem is the borg side of the plot is mostly dull and embarrasing and draws us away from the good stuff. This episode would've been superb IF it was about Picard and crew going back to Vashti and doing what he was doing but with more space for the story and characters to breathe. It felt like a classic TNG episode with Picard having to negotiate with the people on the planet - except the usual 45 ish min running time had to be shared with people skating on socks! We had to compress that to allow for the creepy shit Borg/Romulan plot.

That is where this series is likely to fail, the poor Romulan/borg bit. I klnow it is important but i don't care about it as the acting and writing isn't a patch on the main plot.Did TNG need to keep cutting away to what the borg or the romulans or cardassians were doing in the build up to their big moments? no , because we trusted the show and the audience to be engaged(Ha!) with the ongoing story.

And yes I hear the complaints about the new crew but we always had that - Troi was a constant niggle :D

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Bet Picard wishes he'd just called up the writers of TNG. Would have saved him a lot of bother!

FTFY :D

This need to have the overarching plot have a secondary submissive and inferior plot line just drags the whole thing down.

between the Q-Who episode of TNG season 2 and the end of Season 3 did we need to see the borg every other week skating in their socks??? nope in fact we forgot about them for most of it (and so did the writers to the point they hadn't properly invented the Borg storyline it was just a cool "big bad" that was OUT THERE til they solidified it later). Less is more - the writers of modern trek need to realise that - the writers on this are nowhere near the shite the discover lot shit out but they need to up their game!

• Upvote 1

They could have made a better effort to de-age Picard in the flashback scenes I think.  I had to laugh out loud when the Romulan assassin guild women told him he had got old, because I thought he looked older in the flashback.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the hate for the sock sliding scene. So it was a bit silly, how does it annoy or upset people. It's hardly Princess Leia doing space Mary Poppins.

Anyway I still find it a little slow, this episode was better. It was clear who was going to beam in once the ship turned up.

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed it this week, will agree that the Borg Cube stuff is naff, as are the two characters it centres around.

I did enjoy seeing more old school Romulan bowl cuts and giant pointy shoulder pads and that good old Romulan distrust has also began to creep back in.

Also

Spoiler

How has Jeri Ryan not aged in 20 years!

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed the episode, although did have a little bit of a Discovery flashback (which I think I've just about recovered from...).

While the sliding section was a bit silly, it was a handler trying to get closer to his subject and establish romance between them to do it; the fact he then blows it by questioning her immediately... I hope they don't throw us a switcheroo with it and make him cross sides - but I can already see that they will. And it might be okay, dependent on just how they play it. As for lurking in the shadows baddie lady - I think she's very poor. Strangling her "top agent"  and then threatening an android (who is not yet triggered) with violence (which will trigger her) to get the location of the super secret android base seems a very poor plan whereas at least he is luring her in - albeit trying to rush it for reasons of TV show plot progression. 

Other than that though I am still enjoying it. And I thought space Legolas was cool - and enjoyed Picard's reaction to him doing that Romulan senator in.

I fell asleep during episode 4.  I didn't think I was that tired. My bordom threshold seems to lower with age.

8 hours ago, Waggo said:

They could have made a better effort to de-age Picard in the flashback scenes I think.  I had to laugh out loud when the Romulan assassin guild women told him he had got old, because I thought he looked older in the flashback.

Yeah, this was a problem. “14 years ago” for Picard/Stewart is the difference between mid 60s and pushing 80, and the man in the flashback was not mid 60s. In fact we’ve seen Picard at around that age, it would put him only a few years after Nemesis, and current Picard does not look, move or sound like that man. (The voice is a particular problem).

So the flashback failed in every way. Better writers would have found ways to tell their story without relying on a device like this that only served to take viewers out of the story. 

• Upvote 2

It would of been better if Picard explained the plot to every character. He missed a few.

• Upvote 6

Perhaps he just aged quickly after Nemesis, the trauma of losing Data etc (I know it's far fetched).

Also a quick Google reveals that Picard is around his mid 90's at this stage. The Character has always been older than the actor by 10 years or so, although I don't know if this is established canon.

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

So the flashback failed in every way. Better writers would have found ways to tell their story without relying on a device like this that only served to take viewers out of the story. 

I spent two seconds thinking "Have they deaged him? I'm not sure" then like just totally ignored it after. 

Still enjoying this, though sword man is a worrying addition. Why hasn't there been a team meeting yet? Does that ship even have a boardroom or what? 

Seeing as LOTR 1 is on channel 5 right now...

Picard is Gandalf

Legoland chap writes himself 

Pilot man is Aragorn

Older woman - could she turn out to be Boromir?

Doctor both Merry and Pippin?

It's question as to who Frodo is. Is it the first Data daughter or is Picard Gandalf AND Frodo?

What is the "will destroy ALL life" thing reminding me of? I am sure ALL BIOLOGICAL LIFE has been under threat a few times in Trek.

Well, I still enjoyed that a lot. Didn’t mind space Legolas or the sock slide that much. Odd though that they de-aged Picard well for his flashback scene the other week, but this episode his 14-year younger self looked no younger at all.

No, it was the same hyper frenetic oh god the audience will get bored if we don’t change shit every 10 nanoseconds bollocks as Discovery, you can’t even get a good look at the design of the ships.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Anyone else struggle to follow what happening in the space battle or was I just tired?

We learnt that the hyper-deadly orbital defence system can't shoot straight.