rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

For someone with a French name, who was born in France to French parents and lives on a vineyard in rural France, his attempt at a French accent was extremely ropey.

Other than that I enjoyed it, especially the progression for Raffi's character.

No I’m sorry but no. No no no no no. I hate this. I hate all of what just happened.  What have they done?!!????!??!!?

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Did anyone else notice the snippet of the...

Spoiler

Voyager theme just before Seven beams down to blast Bejazzle...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Hide contents

See, the rest I agree with but the EMH thing I can sort of forgive because they're clearly non-standard installations that probably have all sort of hacks and shortcuts built in. The proper ones probably wouldnt even let you base them off a real person, let alone multiples of yourself.   

In fairness, even in Voyager the EMH could be activated and deactivated at will. 

I was looking forward to this, but was annoyed and then bored with it. Yes I've heard the plot, and yes I heard that alien can smell lies. The acting was bizarre at times.

I'm enjoying it, but this doesn't feel like Jean-Luc Picard at all really - a lot of the humour from TNG was based on how stiff and awkward he was, so that turn as a French pirate just didn't seem like the same character. Unless we're expected to think he's gone a bit dotty as well as frail. It's more like Patrick Stewart having a laugh, which is also welcome in a different way I suppose.

I can't remember anything about who Maddox is and I didn't watch enough Voyager to get who that was in the opening scene so i'm feeling a bit left out of this, despite being a big TNG fan when it was still on TV (and for several years of 6pm repeats afterwards).

• Upvote 4

I hate it when characters dual-wield two-handed assault rifle style guns. It always looks so clumsy and doesn’t seem like it would be very effective. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I can't remember anything about who Maddox is and I didn't watch enough Voyager to get who that was in the opening scene so i'm feeling a bit left out of this, despite being a big TNG fan when it was still on TV (and for several years of 6pm repeats afterwards).

I wouldn't worry too much, he was a bit part that grew more in reference than actual air time in episodes.

48 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I hate it when characters dual-wield two-handed assault rifle style guns. It always looks so clumsy and doesn’t seem like it would be very effective. 

Slightly more believeable here as phaser rifles seem to have no recoil. Still doesn’t mean you’d hit shit while dual-wielding them, though! 

8 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I wouldn't worry too much, he was a bit part that grew more in reference than actual air time in episodes.

I find it pretty funny that Manu Intiraymi, who played the original Icheb, conducted a frankly embarrassing Twitter campaign getting his followers to sign a petition for the character to appear in Picard, only to get his wish granted but not be offered the role.

8 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

I find it pretty funny that Manu Intiraymi, who played the original Icheb, conducted a frankly embarrassing Twitter campaign getting his followers to sign a petition for the character to appear in Picard, only to get his wish granted but not be offered the role.

I assumed he meant Maddox

3 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I assumed he meant Maddox

Can't find the tweet where he links to the change.org petition but there was lots of this sort of stuff going on for several months. He was desperate to get invited back.

Then they recast his character and immediately killed him off.

This is him talking about Anthony Rapp (Stammets on Discovery) after the Kevin Spacey stuff came out.

Gee whiz, I wonder why they didn’t want him back?

• Upvote 4

Watched it, and I dont know what to think. I didnt like the recasting of Maddox, as he's at the right age now for it to work. Icheb I can forgive, as he was only shown as an adult in one episode as far as I recall. The seeming revelation about Agnes stinks a bit of the TNG episode Inheritance, but original ideas are in short supply these days it would seem.

As for the EMH being shut off...I dont recall any non-crewmember coming aboard Voyager and turning the Doctor off.

Maybe I'm being too critical, as I've been watching ToS recently, but this doesnt feel "Star Trek" enough to me.

• Upvote 1

What a divisive episode, eh? I enjoyed the skitty editing when they were planning the mission. The crime boss lady / Seven rivalry was good as well. And no Romulan b-plot snoozeathon was a plus. It suffered from having to give everyone something to do, something the setup for TNG was designed to avoid.

Not sure about the change in personality for Picard's adopted son Pepsi. He's supposed to be a ninja but also naive enough to ask stupid questions that could potential scupper the whole plan?

French pirate Picard was hilarious. It's now canon that Picard is so good at acting he can fool a lie detecting lizard man.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, McCoy said:

In fairness, even in Voyager the EMH could be activated and deactivated at will. 

only initially. They eventually gave him control

over himself :) 

I didn’t enjoy this episode one bit and it makes me very sad.  In context I spent my morning before work watching “In the Cards”, a fluffy episode of DS9 which services as the perfect precursor to everything kicking off in the Dominion war.  Jake and Nog spend the episode trading time, teddy bears and Klingon operas to secure a baseball card for a guy who thinks the soulless minions of orthodoxy are out to get him.

Then this.

Things I liked:

Seven.

Voyager fanfare briefly playing.

Seven and Picard’s chat about regaining humanity.  It was perfect until every “damn” day. Felt out of place. Character evolution perhaps, not sure.

Things I didn’t like:

The eye scene.  I’m sorry, First Contact doesn’t even come close.  All we had there was implied, not actually showing us every step with an actor screaming his head off in a bloody pool. This was my interpretation anyway from behind my hands because I literally cannot watch eye things. (Even in my healthcare career, I’ve passed out, I know, I’m pathetic).

Why even bother with any of this story? I don’t understand why we needed this background piece for any reason other than to get a Seven cameo. Shoehorned in.

A whole episode dedicated to the Borg butcher seemed too much unless it is setting up something more later.

The constant exposition. “Oh lol I forgot Picard was a Borg too?!”, needing to explain in excruciating detail who Icheb was because they didn’t bother introducing him at all before having his eye ripped out, Tal Shiar = romulan secret police after five episodes when even the newest newbies will have figured that much out by now.

Saw it coming with the doctor lady.

The eyepatch fiasco.

Elnor relegated to completely pointless.

Raffi. I don’t really care about your backstory love I’m really sorry but I haven’t known you long enough.

Nothing really happened. They got Maddox and then he died. The end.  But at least Picard knows where to go next.

Mostly it was the first thing that set up the tone for me for the rest.  I’m being harsh I’m sure but in terms of tone and feel this is really all over the place. 

Didn’t enjoy this episode at all.  Went back to DS9. Fortune favours the bold... well, I guess we’re about to find out.

• Upvote 9

I'm angry about the eye scene. Who makes a Star Trek show freaking 18-rated? I can't let my kids watch this stuff. Growing up, for me, Star Trek was always a family thing for me. My daughter loves watching TOS and TNG etc with me. 

No new generation of trek fans are gonna come through if new Trek continues this way.

Sad :(

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, sprite said:

I didn’t enjoy this episode one bit and it makes me very sad.  In context I spent my morning before work watching “In the Cards”, a fluffy episode of DS9 which services as the perfect precursor to everything kicking off in the Dominion war.  Jake and Nog spend the episode trading time, teddy bears and Klingon operas to secure a baseball card for a guy who thinks the soulless minions of orthodoxy are out to get him.

Then this.

Things I liked:

Reveal hidden contents

Seven.

Voyager fanfare briefly playing.

Seven and Picard’s chat about regaining humanity.  It was perfect until every “damn” day. Felt out of place. Character evolution perhaps, not sure.

Things I didn’t like:

Reveal hidden contents

The eye scene.  I’m sorry, First Contact doesn’t even come close.  All we had there was implied, not actually showing us every step with an actor screaming his head off in a bloody pool. This was my interpretation anyway from behind my hands because I literally cannot watch eye things. (Even in my healthcare career, I’ve passed out, I know, I’m pathetic).

Why even bother with any of this story? I don’t understand why we needed this background piece for any reason other than to get a Seven cameo. Shoehorned in.

A whole episode dedicated to the Borg butcher seemed too much unless it is setting up something more later.

The constant exposition. “Oh lol I forgot Picard was a Borg too?!”, needing to explain in excruciating detail who Icheb was because they didn’t bother introducing him at all before having his eye ripped out, Tal Shiar = romulan secret police after five episodes when even the newest newbies will have figured that much out by now.

Saw it coming with the doctor lady.

The eyepatch fiasco.

Elnor relegated to completely pointless.

Raffi. I don’t really care about your backstory love I’m really sorry but I haven’t known you long enough.

Nothing really happened. They got Maddox and then he died. The end.  But at least Picard knows where to go next.

Mostly it was the first thing that set up the tone for me for the rest.  I’m being harsh I’m sure but in terms of tone and feel this is really all over the place. 

Didn’t enjoy this episode at all.  Went back to DS9. Fortune favours the bold... well, I guess we’re about to find out.

DS9 was often thematically ‘dark.’ The difference between it and Discovery/Picard is that it was written by grownups.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Nifta said:

I'm angry about the eye scene. Who makes a Star Trek show freaking 18-rated? I can't let my kids watch this stuff. Growing up, for me, Star Trek was always a family thing for me. My daughter loves watching TOS and TNG etc with me. 

No new generation of trek fans are gonna come through if new Trek continues this way.

Sad :(

Hardly 18 rated. A strong 12 maybe. 

Is not trek anyway, why would you want your kids to watch this rubbish?  Mine will be watching TNG when they are old enough. 

20 minutes ago, jcafarley said:

DS9 was often thematically ‘dark.’ The difference between it and Discovery/Picard is that it was written by grownups.

Yeah that was the big difference - DS9 was dark in theme, but kids could still watch it because it wasn’t gratuitously gory and the real sinister stuff was IMO often quite deeply mixed in.  As a child/teen I didn’t notice some of the really disturbing bits as it was implied or subtly woven in without being obvious.  

Ho hum.

• Upvote 2

Star Wars - god, why don't they do something different!

Star Trek - god, why have they done something different!

I'm enjoying this.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

As for the EMH being shut off...I dont recall any non-crewmember coming aboard Voyager and turning the Doctor off.

Basics part 2 springs to mind. 

That episode also encapsulates the existing Trek problem that the on board computer systems have terrible security. Literally anyone can take over a ship and start controlling it. My iPhone has more security that Trek ships. 

11 minutes ago, Gordzilla said:

Star Wars - god, why don't they do something different!

Star Trek - god, why have they done something different!

I'm enjoying this.

Quite. It's interesting to see places like RedLetterMedia weighing in every couple of weeks with another installment of moaning about this not being Star Trek but I'm sure they'd find that their sacred cows wouldn't stand up to the same level of scrutiny. There's definitely gold in old Trek but every series is littered with ridiculous moments that'd see them being absolutely pilloried by the likes of Mike Stoklasa if they were held to the same standard.

Which isn't to say that Picard doesn't have faults- just that Trek had always been a deeply flawed gem and a lot of people naturally remember the better episodes when they think of it overall.

• Upvote 6

56 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Hmm.

qpid-hd-229.jpg.5bb7db2561a48a878cfb9eb3c45d6dc0.jpg

Those were clearly "take the piss" and "have fun" episodes. They all still have an ST vibe about them - exploration, encountering unknowns and dealing with them.

Picard is just... crap

• Upvote 3