rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

Terrible

What was achieved story wise, by having Picard dying, only to be resurrected again moments later?  The only sense I can make of it is to hand wave away that brain issue he had, but that brain issue was only a thing since we were reminded of it so often during this series. It would have been far easier to just ignore it until a later point.

Also Sung (Brent Spiner) spending his lifetime developing a Golem, and then dedicating its use to a bloke he just meet briefly a few hours ago is a bit of a stretch. Then making it so the Golem only has a few years of life 'because that's what Picard would have wanted' further adds to the disbelief.

Utterly ridiculous ending.

• Upvote 5

Spoiler

Why did Data refer to the Soong guy as his brother? I was half expecting an evil twin Lore twist at the end.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

So many problems with the series. They seemed to very quickly forgive the annoying blonde for brutally murdering maddox. It's been a long time since I watched voyager but that wasn't the seven of nine I remember. 

The scene between data and Picard at the end in the quantum realm struck the right tone. It's such a shame that the rest of it was rubbish. The only good parts of the series were the ones that featured the original TNG cast. 

• Upvote 2

That was proper bobbins. If a second season if ever made, I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. At least Discovery only murdered the Star Trek name: this murdered a bunch of beloved characters in the Star Trek universe as well. 

The disbelief I felt watching such a pile of shite masquerading as a Star Trek show must have been how Star Trek fans felt while watching Discovery for the first time.

The show effectively went nowhere. Characters were just forgotten at the end - the Romulan bloke just disappears, with no explanation for example. Plot details were never explained, such as "why were Soji and Dahj on a Borg cube and on Earth?" Not even an attempt to answer it. The Borg themselves were totally wasted in this, and did literally nothing for the plot, other than having Hugh for his "memberberries" , and Riker doesnt comment on, or even seem to care about the hole in space with tentacles coming out of it, which leads me to believe this was part of the rushed reshoots that were rumoured. The copy paste Federation fleet seems to back this up too.

No wonder Shatner doesnt want to come back to Trek, and I have to wonder if CBS has asked him as its known they're having financial issues with the franchise. I fucking wouldnt with these clods in charge of Trek.

• Upvote 1

In spite of everything I kind of liked the last episode. The intergalactic conflict stuff should always just be hokum in the service of character stuff. And they cleared the low low Discovery bar by NOT having a massive pointless battle with hundreds of ships.

The Riker scene was hilarious. Tim Curry levels of tongue in cheek silliness.

Yeah, there are way too many characters and absolutely nothing got resolved. If we're going to be pedantic, every organic character on the show should have been dead within five picoseconds of a colony of superhuman androids deciding on their plan.

"No wonder Shatner doesnt want to come back to Trek"

I somehow doubt that avenue is being explored by either party(!?). Patrick Stewart's barely able to do this, what would Shatner do, nap in a chair for 45 minutes each week?

• Upvote 1

A bit like how I once caught the rerun of Revelation of the Daleks when I was at me nan's and I was like "wtf? Alexei Sayle?"

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

It was all so pointless. Hundreds of ships, all ready for a fight. Nah, let you off this time. Picard dead, oh no, loads of sad scenes, nah, not really.

• Upvote 3

I loved it.

loved Picard getting to say goodbye to his friend after a lacklustre goodbye previously.

Loved the big confroontation and the unsurprising squeezing of a certain someone into a Starfleet uniform.

Loved it.

Flawed? fuck yes ... massively flawed! pew pew was rubbihs and yeah pick holes in it til the day is over... BUT...

loved it? fuck yes!

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Death's Head said:

A bit like how I once caught the rerun of Revelation of the Daleks when I was at me nan's and I was like "wtf? Alexei Sayle?"

Meant for the Who thread! Whoops!

It’s so easy to imagine a series with these themes, characters, overall plot, structure, presentation and cast that is actually good.

So easy.

1 hour ago, GC Zombie said:
  Hide contents

It was all so pointless. Hundreds of ships, all ready for a fight. Nah, let you off this time. Picard dead, oh no, loads of sad scenes, nah, not really.

Spoiler

A fleet of ships didn’t look as obviously copied and pasted back in TNG when they literally copied and pasted the ships.

• Upvote 1

Fucking loved that. In actual tears in the 

Spoiler

Bye Data

bit

Yeah, there were flaws but oh my was there so much great stuff in there. Even if I’d guessed the Picard outcome thanks to the opening titles of the first episode.

Sorry it wasn’t for most of you lot but it was for me.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, cubik said:
  Hide contents

Why did Data refer to the Soong guy as his brother? I was half expecting an evil twin Lore twist at the end.

Because they had the same dad.

11 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

So the bit at the end, the big threat

Hide contents

those are the same snake things that attacked that small ship in discovery from the future arnt they?

Spoiler

Given the thematic continuity will robot Picard be appearing in the far future of Disco season 3?

That would suggest the ending was planned rather than a way to choose between killing or retaining Picard depending on how future season negotiations went, without having to worry about reshoots.

As someone who would rather gouge his eyes out than watch Discovery, what's the link between this show and that, then?

Spoiler

Surely I am not the only one who, upon hearing “Prepare to fight!” immediately thought “Meowth, that’s right!”?

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

As someone who would rather gouge his eyes out than watch Discovery, what's the link between this show and that, then?

Big metal worms.

Horrendous

Absolutely horrendous

What the fuck did I just watch? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

image.png.43fd2aca72f0a6f1e40af661a940eb77.png

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Barnard said:

That was terrible. Really fucking terrible. 

Pew pew pew! 

With all the green lasers firing about during the scene with the multiple copies of the Sirena I thought several Star Destroyers had shown up to the fight.

"Phasers? What are those?" asks Alex Kurtzman.

I both loved it and hated it in equal measure.

But man did they "borrow from multiple sources. Mass Effect obviously. Elite with the space flowers. And weirdly enough my wife was moved by one scene which to me felt... well...inpspired by the Earthsea books.

In

Data's pocket simulation

reminded me a lot of The Dry Land.

From 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(universe) The Dry Land is where the people of the archipelago and reaches of Earthsea go when they die. It is a realm of shadow and dust, of eternal night where the stars are fixed in the sky and nothing changes. The souls who live there have an empty, dreary existence, and even "lovers pass each other in silence".

I found the last episode messy though and it seemed to put Picard up on a pedestal as the true diplomatic hero rather than where I thought it was going, the quixotic Picard having some self realisation.

My wife loved it however.

Where to next though?

• Upvote 2

As soon as they mentioned an onmi all powerful synth army coming from another dimension I immediately thought "ah, that's Mass Effect!" They even matched the Reaper colours.

And who wouldn't want to look younger if they had the chance?

• Upvote 1