rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

3 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Wait, the showrunner actually wanted fans to hate the show?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/27/star-trek-picard-showrunner-michael-chabon-admits-he-wanted-to-piss-off-or-provoke-people/

Season 2 will have high viewer numbers then :lol:

Fucking hell, so much insincerity and shoulder shrugging. Implying that the most vocal haters are toxic, with some kind of racist/sexist/etc axe to grind, rather than them just thinking Picard was mediocre. Saying ‘the mere fact’ that it was Star Trek made it difficult for people to accept darkness. You massive spanner, Chabon, it was the fact that it was ham-fisted and often unnecessary darkness that made it difficult for people to accept. Still, the site counters some of his points fairly well. 

For all this standing firm, there’s still an element of pointing at Patrick Stewart and saying ‘he told me to do this.’ Which, I think, is the real crux of it. Chabon is working damage control, but he can’t entirely keep schtum on his real feelings. 

Eww Bounding Into Comics is a proper I heart the Joker movie Comicsgate hatesite. 

Star Trek obsessives are the least chill, thought it was alright, loads of stupid shit.

The last show I watched was when TNG was on bbc2 but a lot of the nostalgic bits gave a bit of a thrill e.g. Data death chat, taking control of a Borg ship, space fleet face off, Picard arguing or playing dress up and clowning around. Killed a few hours when we all have nothing better to do with our time.

What happened in that last episode?

For a show that had a lot of slow episodes suddenly, RESOLVE EVERYTHING.

Hugely disappointing and the Picard outcome was just weird and not needed.

The final shot with all those people together, oh come on.

Spoilery stuff

7o9 - great character and actress, totally underused. The point where by she became the Borg Queen gave so much hope and possibilities! Then the Romulans had a one button kill for all the Borg? Fuck off - it was the promise of a fun twist with seven becoming evil or powerful, undermined by poor writing.

What was the point?
Her final two main appearances.

1) She had a random fight with Romu girl - ended super quick. Kick her down a hole!
Rubbish.
2) She's now immediately getting it on with the other old woman in the crew. Yep. Great character development there.

Picard golem/data
Utter bobbins. What was the point? Everyone sat around happy that his entirely natural death meant that Data stayed dead long before his time.

Picard is 90+, Data died when he was 40.

Selfish of everyone and Data wouldn't really want to die surely.

Picard says he feels guilt for letting Data die for him before? Well he's done it again. No guilt there now! I can blast off into space with a new crew!

Federation arrive/leave
Will turns up to save the day. The Romulans are all mean and are going to kill the mini-me-datas.

Wait! The Romulans have gone.

Riker "Well that's sorted, no point in us hanging around for a bit to check if the Romulans come back. Probably not even worth leaving a few ships to be sure.
Let's go home! I left a pizza on!".

Rubbish.

Throwaway line explanation

"Non organics are allowed now!"

Did someone tick a box at star fleet and all the legislation is undone? While I don't like legislative heavy sci fi (see Star Wars 1), this balls.

Hugh

Yeah just kill him with a dart thing. Why even have him there.

The S2 crew
How/why do they need to be coupling up? Cringe worthy final scene, with Pill kissing Rio's like they're meant to be. She fucking killed someone in their sick bay! Her former lover! Why isn't he worried and frankly, he could do better. I see no real chemistry between them and what does he see in her? It's weird.

Overall
Started slow, rushed at the end, weird tentacles from the beyond coming through a hole in space - a crap avengers. Cravengers?

Such a shame, it feels like a weird off shoot of TNG in a different universe.

They made it blow.

• Upvote 9

10 hours ago, Jammy said:

The main thing I took from the show (which incidentally I didn’t hate, but it’s very hit and miss) is that I’d rather see a Riker cooking show.

Corrected

• Upvote 8

20 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

They looked far slimmer than a plasma shot, which is why I said they looked like lasers. They can also be beam type, like phasers:

Old style disruptor pulse:

185?cb=20161214234404&path-prefix=en

Disruptor beams:

185?cb=20190616004710&path-prefix=en

Picards "pew pew" lasers (not the best shot, but all I could find):

hqdefault.jpg

They seem to have been rushed for time on the last episode at least, if not more. I've also read that there were a lot of reshoots done, which likely didnt help the series narrative cohesiveness:

Taken from here (Space.com review of the final episode).

There were beams and cannon fire in there. They looked like they were all disruptor to me. Star Trek is not terribly consistent generally either. Aren't phasers supposed to be blue? ;)

This video does a good job of summing up the massive tone shift between pre-Abrams/Kurtzman Star Trek and what we have today.

At its best, Star Trek is/was thoughtful in its exploration of humanity. 'Modern' Star Trek has no interest in that because its written by teenagers.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Flub said:

There were beams and cannon fire in there. They looked like they were all disruptor to me. Star Trek is not terribly consistent generally either. Aren't phasers supposed to be blue? ;)

Nah, red/orange normally. Blue is usually used for phased polaron type weapons, like the Dominion has. I'm guessing you've been watching Discovery, where it seems the Federation has somehow acquired this technology, and 100 years early:

l89MH.jpg

@Monkeyboy and @jcafarley, yeah Major Grin's great at easily pointing out all the flaws then taking the piss out of them. It also shows Enterprise did their homework for that show, which is more than can be said for any Trek show since.

Of all the things to critique the show for, and there are many, the colour of the phasers is the least of my concerns.

• Upvote 5

Discovery was going with the TOS style phasers, which were also blue. There's plenty to criticise about that show, but that isn't one of them. ;)

25 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Nah, red/orange normally. Blue is usually used for phased polaron type weapons, like the Dominion has. I'm guessing you've been watching Discovery, where it seems the Federation has somehow acquired this technology, and 100 years early:

They're firing phasers in that show. Wonder why they're blue? :sherlock:

enterprise-blue-phasers.jpg

*Edit* Also. Polaron are purple. Tetryon are blue

23 minutes ago, Flub said:

They're firing phasers in that show. Wonder why they're blue? :sherlock:

*Edit* Also. Polaron are purple. Tetryon are blue

ToS had some inconsistency in its colouring, some shots were blue, others were red/orange.

2476326-bigthumbnail.jpg

They are supposed to be red/orange though for Federation. Other races seem to have different colours for their phasers. Admittedly, the science behind it all should mean you wouldnt see any beam at all, but that wouldnt make for good ship battles, obviously.

22 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

ToS had some inconsistency in its colouring, some shots were blue, others were red/orange.

2476326-bigthumbnail.jpg

They are supposed to be red/orange though for Federation. Other races seem to have different colours for their phasers. Admittedly, the science behind it all should mean you wouldnt see any beam at all, but that wouldnt make for good ship battles, obviously.

In modern star trek phasers are orange. disruptors and plasma are green with different types of beam. What we're seeing in Picard are disruptor beam arrays and disruptor cannon fire. Discovery uses blue phasers because these days the showrunners have decided that what they actually used in TOS (Red/orange inconsistencies aside).

Poleron purple. Tetryon blue. Anti-proton red with black inside. Then you'll have some variants by faction but in modern Trek the colour scheme generally holds. This now includes blue for TOS era phasers.

To get back to the original nerdy point :) there's nothing wrong with the Romulan weapons. They're perfectly right.

I dont watch Discovery, so dont really care what the showrunners have decided. They're red/orange in the majority of films (ToS films included), as well as series, special effect cock-ups aside. I'm not going to keep banging on about a colour detail more than I have done.

And as stated, regardless of the colour of something or what disruptors look like, both Picard and Discovery are terrible for multiple reasons that have already been covered in this, and in Discovery's own thread.

On 28/03/2020 at 11:22, GwiDan said:

At best that series will go down in history as that time they brought Picard back for a show nobody remembers rather than something you’d sit and watch if you caught a repeat. Riker was pretty much the only character whose personality traits even vaguely resembled who he had been in old series, everyone else was unrecognisable.

Deanna seemed on par too. Like she'd amtured even more.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

@Monkeyboy and @jcafarley, yeah Major Grin's great at easily pointing out all the flaws then taking the piss out of them. It also shows Enterprise did their homework for that show, which is more than can be said for any Trek show since.

Their homework at making a show duller than the original trek, or the first 2 episodes of voyager?

Well that was very disappointing. 

Space magic wands? Do kindly fuck off. 

Also did I miss the bit where everyone fell in love with everyone else? 

Spoiler

I do feel quite sore that such a poorly written show has depicted the death of a dearly loved and storied character. And then to rub it in, brings him back, but as a robot. 

I have lost all patience. Like Discovery I stuck it out but won’t be returning for a second season. 

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, one point bugging me for the whole series is the whole concept of a "biological android". I was reading an article a while ago about artificial consciousness, and it made the point that if a robot was programmed to perfectly simulate consciousness, is there any practical difference between that and "actual" consciousness? With that in mind, if you create an artificial human entirely out of flesh and blood, and do it so well that there's no detectable difference between that and a regular human, aren't you just building a regular human?

Spoiler

This was made all the more daft now that Picard's consciousness has been transferred to an "android" body. This new body has no special abilities, looks exactly the same as his human body, ages the same as his human body, and presumably has all the same biological functions. It will also probably never be mentioned again.

Those worm Reapers will need to be pretty smart if they're going to avoid accidentally wiping out any biological androids when they're busy wiping out the rest of the biological life in the galaxy.

• Upvote 5

Finally finished it. I have to say that with the exception of the first episode, I thought it was really poor. It also felt like it was made on a shoestring budget too. I'm not just talking about effects but set design and wardrobe.

Spoiler

The scenes with Riker on the Bridge in the final epsiode felt like they were FMV from a low budget Star Trek game.

Anyway, I don't want to be too negative. Patrick Stewart was supreme (apart from the french A-Team bit).

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

I dont watch Discovery, so dont really care what the showrunners have decided. They're red/orange in the majority of films (ToS films included), as well as series, special effect cock-ups aside. I'm not going to keep banging on about a colour detail more than I have done.

And as stated, regardless of the colour of something or what disruptors look like, both Picard and Discovery are terrible for multiple reasons that have already been covered in this, and in Discovery's own thread.

Yay. I win.

French A-Team :lol:

I'm really looking forward to Mike conning Rich into doing the RLM review now.

Just now, Flub said:

Yay. I win.

:huh:

Win what? It wasnt an argument or a competition. It was my opinion.

Confession: I bowed out like 10 minutes into episode 3. This will be hanging over me for a while.

It showed promise in the first episode (And the Riker family episode) but sadly wasn't very good. I'll still watch the next series though.

Mind you for all the faults of Discovery season 2 it does look like it's about to spawn a Pike show which is something and the time skip has me more excited than for season 2 of Picard. I like a lot of the characters in Discovery (Yay Tilly) but couldn't really get attached to any of them in Picard.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

French A-Team :lol:

I'm really looking forward to Mike conning Rich into doing the RLM review now.

:huh:

Win what? It wasnt an argument or a competition. It was my opinion.

Poleron is purple man. You just can't walk that sort of shame back. Hand in your nerd card. You're suspended

God, what a terrible show this turned out to be. I hate the new crew, fucking despise all of them apart from Picard. It had one decent episode, the first one. Seven was terrible and her acting was dire. The whole thing made no sense and I actually thought I missed an episode between 9 and 10, turns out it was just shit writing. 

Dont even get me started on the awful production design. Presumably Michael Okuda is retired. 

And Stewart was decidedly average for most of the show. His fantastic acting from Logan was nowhere to be seen, I won't be bothering with Season 2 unless it reviews extremely well 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Poleron is purple man. You just can't walk that sort of shame back. Hand in your nerd card. You're suspended

I meant the disruptor stuff. Anyway, this isnt purple:

220?cb=20061018222806&path-prefix=en

The nacelles are purple. Maybe they're purple in STO, I cant recall not having played it for like 7 years.

Anyway, this is daft now, so drop it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Anyway, this is daft now, so drop it.

It was daft when it first started :)

You thought Romulans used phasers.

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

It was daft when it first started :)

You thought Romulans used phasers.

:facepalm: No I didnt, stop making things up now.

On 28/03/2020 at 15:50, Mr Ben said:

Disruptor beams:

185?cb=20190616004710&path-prefix=en

That's not a phaser, in case you didnt know....

Now kindly stop it, as it looks like your only doing this to troll.

• Upvote 1