Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

5 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Rewatched All Good Things last night. It's just so fucking good, and really hammered home two things we were missing here - Beverly Crusher (she didn't even get a mention ffs!) and Q. 

TNG on the whole (after the series ended) really seemed to drop her like a stone. They built up an amazing relationship then dropped it right after and pulled back on the character no matter what she was in. Always made me wonder if there was something going on behind the scenes that we didn't know about. Riker and Troi got together by the end but never anything for Picard and Crusher which was what everyone wanted. Very bizarre. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2018/10/02/they-felt-they-had-too-many-women-star-trek-actress-gates-mcfadden-recalls-being

I had been in conflict with one of the male writer-producers about certain things I thought were sexist. What I’ve heard is that he said “Either she goes or I go”. I was shocked that they let me go, because I knew my character was really popular. But he was going to be writing more and more and didn’t want to have to deal with me. What was great was they got rid of him and asked me to come back.

I wonder if, after the series ended, that writer came back....Would explain the Troi mental rape bullshit in Nemesis.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

TNG on the whole (after the series ended) really seemed to drop her like a stone. They built up an amazing relationship then dropped it right after and pulled back on the character no matter what she was in. Always made me wonder if there was something going on behind the scenes that we didn't know about. Riker and Troi got together by the end but never anything for Picard and Crusher which was what everyone wanted. Very bizarre. 

They even get a kiss in All Good Things... (in the 'present' segments) and watching the future-set bits where they're divorced just makes it all the weirder how she doesn't even merit a mention in Picard.

On 07/04/2020 at 17:58, Mr Ben said:

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2018/10/02/they-felt-they-had-too-many-women-star-trek-actress-gates-mcfadden-recalls-being

I wonder if, after the series ended, that writer came back....Would explain the Troi mental rape bullshit in Nemesis.

Nope, it was Maurice Hurley who wanted to get rid of Gates McFadden. He left at the end of season 2, having run that season.

There's so much good behind the scenes gossip in the massive 'The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years' book. If you're a fan of the TNG era onwards, it's a must-read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Year-Mission-Generation-Uncensored-Unauthorized/dp/B01KXW2PLQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+fifty-year+mission%3A+the+next+25+years&qid=1586339528&sr=8-1

On 07/04/2020 at 11:54, Death's Head said:

Rewatched All Good Things last night. It's just so fucking good, and really hammered home two things we were missing here - Beverly Crusher (she didn't even get a mention ffs!) and Q. 

In the first or second episode Picard says something about not being able to contact Beverly as she wouldn't listen to him.

On 08/04/2020 at 10:50, Eighthours said:

Nope, it was Maurice Hurley who wanted to get rid of Gates McFadden. He left at the end of season 2, having run that season.

There's so much good gossip behind the scenes gossip in the massive 'The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years' book. If you're a fan of the TNG era onwards, it's a must-read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Year-Mission-Generation-Uncensored-Unauthorized/dp/B01KXW2PLQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+fifty-year+mission%3A+the+next+25+years&qid=1586339528&sr=8-1

Yes, if you have any interest whatsoever in feuds, backbiting and politicking behind the scenes on TNG/DS9/Voyager  then that book is a must (and it’s predecessor for crazy Gene Roddenberry stories for the original series).

About the only people everyone agrees was lovely in the book are Frakes and Scott Bakula.

I started watching this yesterday up to epsiode 5 now & really enjoying it compared to the Netflix Star Trek Discovery series which I turned off after the first season.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

In the first or second episode Picard says something about not being able to contact Beverly as she wouldn't listen to him.

Really? I missed that too if it is the case. 

Just finished this. You'd think the 

Spoiler

death of such a beloved character I grew up watching would have me in tears. But no, the series handling of him has left me cold. 

Also, retconning him as synthetic life <_<

Probably won't bother with series 2. Would rather just watch TNG or DS9 again. Why can't we get Trek like that anymore :(

I can't believe they've managed to both write something worse than Discovery S2, and also take a massive shit all over the universe.

It's even worse than I imagined it would be.

This shit ain't Star Trek, and I refuse to acknowledge it as canon.

20 hours ago, Meh said:

I can't believe they've managed to both write something worse than Discovery S2, and also take a massive shit all over the universe.

It's even worse than I imagined it would be.

This shit ain't Star Trek, and I refuse to acknowledge it as canon.

Completely agree. I've not played much of it but from the bits I've read I'd much rather accept STO as the official continuation of canon.

Because everything has to be 10-hour movies now. And Alex Kurtzman doesn't understand Star Trek.

I'm still absolutely blown away by how ugly the show is. It's obviously got a nice budget, but why does everything look like shit? Initially I was like, "Oh, those drones flying around on the Borg ship, that's a good idea. I wonder what they do." They don't do anything, evidently, but fly around a bit.

It reminds me of the Michael Bay Transformers movies: just busy, shit designs that sound look a good idea at the time, I'm sure, but they sure as shit don't work.

What the hell is the Li Sarena or whatever the hell the main ship was called? It's such an incredibly awful design. Shame with the Romulan ships. Everything looks so flat.

Alison Pill's character was the greatest "what the fuck," though.

From lamenting the horrible murder of Maddox to fucking Rios in the space of a few episodes.

It's like Captain Janeway wrote the show, it's that utterly psychotic.

My loathing for this show knows no bounds.

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I'd put off watching this, but thought it would make decent comfort binge TV.

It's very bad. Patrick Stewart is shocking - he is 80 and perhaps would've worked best in a support role. The first 4 episodes are Picard somewhere Earth-like laying out a ton of exposition with characters we have no context for. Scenes are slow with a weird rhythm, the dialogue is garbage, the Romulans are boring as fuck and I assume it requires some knowledge of the Nemesis/TNG universe. The Data mission and all the nods are pure fan service. It seems like he's slowly assembling a team, but... why not make a Star Trek series like Star Trek?

"Sometimes you’re motivated to have things simply because it’s possibly going to piss off or provoke people who seem to have missed the memo about just what exactly Star Trek is and always has been all about.”

MV5BMTY3MDAxOTY3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTIxODY5Nw@@._V1_.jpg

There was a Youtube video about the old 90s Zorro movie being available on streaming and being a fun underappreciated romp, and then someone mentioned how terrible the sequel was despite it being the same director, featuring a focus on a comedic farting donkey. The culprit? The new writer, Alex Kurtzman, his first credited work.

He is an absolute hack without a single worthwhile project to his name.