IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

I literally burst out laughing when

Seven and Rafi

Spoiler

Straight up put a knife through a guys eye and into his brain

Star Trek has really taken a nose dive straight off a cliff these last few years. 

25 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think it’s shown on Thursdays in the US so everyone who’s watched it already has just outed themselves as a filthy pirate. 

FEWgUnKWQAAFtMB.thumb.jpg.49d0a5c531492ddc478da0011e3c4bcc.jpg

Spoiler

Everything involving Picard's manic pixie dream mum continues to be 😬 in the extreme.

Apparently La Sirena has the ability to scan of a person so completely it can perfectly replicate someone down to their personality, abilities and even memories. This would be hack writing bullshit along the lines of last season's magic sonic screwdriver that can do whatever you think of. But it's even worse if you think about it for two seconds, this is supposed to the be the Mirror Confederation version of the ship, the sum total of Elnor's time on the ship was beaming up and getting shot and dying about 30 seconds later.

The whole thing with holo-Elnor honestly felt like two toddlers playing with a box of assorted action figures. Haha, Cobra Commander is about to claim He-Man's sword. No he won't, because Optimus Prime has put it in his chest!

Kid Picard's actor is still way to old for the shit they give him to say. I don't know if he's just a crap actor or not because god knows Sixth Sense era Hayley Joel Osment wouldn't be able to make this script work. So right I'm a spaceship Captain from the future. But I look and dress like the child of Victorian aristocrats. Also I'm French so have to pepper in French words every so often like a Chris Claremont X-Men character. Aaaaand action!

I know Patrick Stewart is 120 years old but that scene where Rios is fighting baddies while Stewart just stands there gormlessly watching was embarrassing. At least have him hit one over the head with a pot or something. Especially when earlier on in the same episode they were trying to (unconvincingly) still sell him as an action man.

Remember when they were making a big deal about the butterfly effect at the start of the season? Sure hope none of those mercenaries was Zephram Cochrane's great, great grandfather.

Me fixing a gaping stomach wound has resulted in you getting metal on your eyebrow and hand just like you used to have. How fucking lazy can you get?

I don't even know where to start in the Borg stuff.

The final riddle (why is the Borg Queen a sphinx now) gives me the sinking feeling that the resolution of the season will be two separate timelines ( because one Mirror Universe just wasn’t enough). The start of this season was Jurati and her Borg fleeing the Confederation and next season will be the TNG cast fighting their evvvvviiiiiilllllll counterparts.

12 hours ago, Gambit said:

Bloody hell. Don't tell me people are actually taking the time and effort to pirate this?!? :lol:

I mean, it takes me about 20 seconds to click a link to a "site" click type "picard s02e09" and click a second time, then 2 minutes later it's downloaded. It's 10x more effort me replying to this post then it is to download it, and streaming sites are shite if watching on a  PC, so it's often easier to just pirate if I want to watch on the PC instead of somewhere else.

What is it with modern TV brutalising legacy content with cheaping out on effects? First it was the Matrix - Agents are now just ordinary folks with black eyes, because that head reskinning thing obviously was too much effort - and now the Borg are just humans with green laser sights on their rifles 😂

They really excelled themselves this week. A holographic mobile emitter. Did you hear what the fuck I just said, people? It’s problematic enough that the mobile emitter exists at all in this timeline, but it materialises at the exact same time as Elnor. Meaning the emitter which allows holograms autonomous freedom is also a hologram. 

They obviously included the EM as a nod to long term Trek fans, but plainly have no idea how the fuck it actually works. Nothing new there, though. All their callbacks and references end up feeling like a troll as they have no understanding of the source material. 

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Hide contents

The final riddle (why is the Borg Queen a sphinx now) gives me the sinking feeling that the resolution of the season will be two separate timelines ( because one Mirror Universe just wasn’t enough). The start of this season was Jurati and her Borg fleeing the Confederation and next season will be the TNG cast fighting their evvvvviiiiiilllllll counterparts.

Oooh yes that sounds right!

29 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

They really excelled themselves this week. A holographic mobile emitter. Did you hear what the fuck I just said, people? It’s problematic enough that the mobile emitter exists at all in this timeline, but it materialises at the exact same time as Elnor. Meaning the emitter which allows holograms autonomous freedom is also a hologram. 

They obviously included the EM as a nod to long term Trek fans, but plainly have no idea how the fuck it actually works. Nothing new there, though. All their callbacks and references end up feeling like a troll as they have no understanding of the source material. 

I was more confused

Spoiler

How the confederation ship, they'd been on for.....8 minutes managed to scan Elnor and record his personality so utterly completely for the recreation.

1 hour ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

I think the writers have completely forgotten the show is called Star Trek, let alone pay attention to any of the lore.

Funniest part is that, by this point, they’re even breaking their own lore. Saying Seven wasn’t allowed into Starfleet as she was an ex-Borg, then having Icheb’s body dressed in a Starfleet uniform in season one. 

3 hours ago, Nicky said:

yeah Robert Picard doesnt exist anymore.

then there was the comic that did an Q-alt-future where Robert grew up to be a fascist.

Edited by SeanR

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead