IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

I take no pleasure in knowing that’s pretty much what we all predicted would happen, and will repeat my question from yesterday.

Spoiler

Couldn’t we have saved 8 episodes if Q had just met with Picard and said “I’m going to let you try that again, but this time don’t blow everything up FFS.”

1 hour ago, Nicky said:
  Hide contents

(oh yeah Rios stays in the past with his new family)

Spoiler

Way to piss in the face of literally any of the moral or thought provoking legacy of The City on the Edge of Forever.

when the shock of how utter shit they've dealt with the borg sets in and you think about what has happened:  this is what we have now:

Spoiler

The borg throughout every encounter with starfleet have been friendly hippy borg. we can also safely assume that noone will therefore have been assimilated without their concent. it also means that Seven of Nine wont have existed in the capacity she is in in Picard. It also means Locutus of Borg never happens. If means Wolf 359 Never happens. Which means Sisko's wife never gets killed, means he doesnt take the post on DS9, means the Federation are ill equipped to deal with the Dominion (if that even happens, sisko wouldn't be the Emmissary so who the fuck knows if even the Wormhole would be found)

They've fundamentally changed the entire course of Star Trek as we know it. janeway is still flying back to earth, DS9 doesn't exist. and who the fuck knows whats going on. But these are massive changes that MUST mean that Picard was in a different timeline to everything else, or if it is prime, nothing exists anymore.

One character conformed by the actor that won't be returning for season 3. Other than the obvious.

Spoiler

Queen Jurati won't be back. Given the ending, I thought the big space anus that she's supposedly keeping an eye on was going to be the major feature. But if it is, she won't be there.

34 minutes ago, Nicky said:

Hide contents

The borg throughout every encounter with starfleet have been friendly hippy borg. we can also safely assume that noone will therefore have been assimilated without their concent. it also means that Seven of Nine wont have existed in the capacity she is in in Picard. It also means Locutus of Borg never happens. If means Wolf 359 Never happens. Which means Sisko's wife never gets killed, means he doesnt take the post on DS9, means the Federation are ill equipped to deal with the Dominion (if that even happens, sisko wouldn't be the Emmissary so who the fuck knows if even the Wormhole would be found)

They've fundamentally changed the entire course of Star Trek as we know it. janeway is still flying back to earth, DS9 doesn't exist. and who the fuck knows whats going on. But these are massive changes that MUST mean that Picard was in a different timeline to everything else, or if it is prime, nothing exists anymore.

Spoiler

Surely this can be handwaved away by saying "The Borg Co-op flew off into space in 2024, spending several hundred years avoiding the Borg Collective and Starfleet until their appearance in Picard S2"?

2 minutes ago, Peter St John said:
  Hide contents

Surely this can be handwaved away by saying "The Borg Co-op flew off into space in 2024, spending several hundred years avoiding the Borg Collective and Starfleet until their appearance in Picard S2"?

Spoiler

i thought that they said they were headed to the delta quadrant last week? y'know where the borg come from. i have no idea but its bleak

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

when the shock of how utter shit they've dealt with the borg sets in and you think about what has happened:  this is what we have now:

Hide contents

In fairness, none of the writers know any of that.

I can just imagine the writers of Star Trek EU novels putting their heads in their hands at the thought of having to include all this garbled shite in the greater lore. 

Question

Spoiler

When Rios says he'll stay behind - Q suggests he'll have a little more energy for something now.

What was that?

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Just one more season to go, and then we can forget this all happened and watch TNG instead
2 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

They're trying to save you from yourself.

Oh that ship sailed a lllooooonnggg time ago. 

Wow, this thread took a dark, existential turn. :lol:

13 hours ago, Nicky said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I guess it depends on whether you think Q manipulated the Prime universe timeline, or whether he actually just replaced the Confederate versions of the crew with the Federation ones in the Mirror Universe. If the rift in ep1 was a multi-dimensional one, like in ‘All Good Things’ for example, then everything happened in that universe rather than the Prime one, and Q’s actual purpose was to make the first responders to the rift emergency realise that the Borg coming through it weren’t a threat, stop Picard blowing himself up, and introduce a Borg that would help protect the Prime universe from an even bigger threat.

The fact that none of us is actually sure is an alarm bell in itself.

Spoiler

But why would Co-op borg act so aggressively without explanation in the first episode? Just pop yer helmet off and go woah Picard, just chill your boots for a sec, lets have a tea earl grey hot, and chat.

I feel dirty defending the show but:

Spoiler

It'll be a Back to the Future style time loop where they had to blow the ship up so that they went back in time so that Jurati ended up merging with the Borg Queen in order to save then later, so she couldn't reveal herself and risk it not happening.

Now excuse me while I go lash myself to within an inch of my life.

21 minutes ago, Exidor said:

So there's actually a potentially really good proper TNG story at the bottom of all this then?

Hide contents

Borg appear out of nowhere having a bit of a mare, ask for help, Picard is all "fool me twice" etc and the fleet opens fire, Q pops up and Qs everyone, Picard is forced over the course of an adventure in time and space to examine the unresolved issues from his Locutus days that made him react impulsively instead of coolly examining the case for and against helping the borg, gets the second chance, does some proper Picarding, everyone goes home happy.

And we got ten episodes of "Jean-Luc?" "Maman?" "Nicole?" "Papa?" instead.

My wife groaned out loud when the flashbacks to Maman appeared during the vinyard Borg battle.

Usually I give up stuff I don't like, I sacked Discovery off a long time ago but my love for the character of Picard and TNG saw me push through with this.

What a load of fucking shite. I genuinely think this is the worst thing related to Star Trek that I've seen. 

As I said earlier in the thread it's clear they only brought the old crew back out of desperation because no fucking way it would get a 3rd season without them.

4 hours ago, Exidor said:

And we got ten episodes of "Jean-Luc?" "Maman?" "Nicole?" "Papa?" instead.

Sadly, it really does boil down to this. But I rather liked the finale, all told. 

30 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

my love for the character of Picard and TNG saw me push through with this.

That's the most heartbreaking thing of all because whoever the hell Patrick Stewart is playing in this, it isn't Picard.

Fuck. Ing. Hell.  That was shite.

My more extensive review would be:

"We are Picard Season 2 and we're here to make you wish for death and get sad and stuff"

Spoiler

The whole show is spoiling Star Trek TNG.

Borg-Queen-and-Alison-Pill-as-Agnes-Jurati-in-Star-Trek-Picard.jpg

24 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

That's the most heartbreaking thing of all because whoever the hell Patrick Stewart is playing in this, it isn't Picard.

The most insulting thing about Patrick Stewart’s involvement isn’t the political issues which were shoehorned in, but rather how blasé he was about reprising the role of Picard.

In one interview, when asked if he’d re-watched some TNG episodes to prepare, he just said it was unnecessary as he’d internalised the character a long time ago. Then in another he stated that him and Picard were the same bloody person. I don’t know if it was arrogance, delusion, or that he’s only ever pretended to give two shits about Star Trek. 

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead