Star Trek: Picard - It’s the hope that kills you

layten

8 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Lore returning would be quite a trick, as he was destroyed entirely in TNG. They’ll probably monkey up some cloned from a positron bollocks. 

He literally appears at the end of that trailer. 

8 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Lore returning would be quite a trick, as he was destroyed entirely in TNG. They’ll probably monkey up some cloned from a positron bollocks. 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

This is like the Mario thread, with people saying "now if Luigi was there - sold!"

10 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Data returning would have been quite the trick too and yet…

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, I know. I meant quite a trick as in his current status in universe. 

Facetiousness aside, I was pretty half and half on this. I don’t like the air of it being a new Nemesis, because Christ knows we don’t need that, but there are some intriguing threads. Mainly, the appearance of Moriarty. In universe books have no doubt touched on what happened to the Federation when Starfleet reverse engineered the Doctor’s mobile emitter, but there hasn’t been a show recent enough, in the right time period, to address it yet. 

The appearance of Lore just made me sigh, though. If he has a good reason for being there, then fine, but it felt very much like ‘throw everything we’ve got left at the wall.’ Sorry, I meant ‘fire everything we’ve got!’ 

If you are planning a final nostalgia bukkake(tm redlettermedia) for TNG then may as well fire literally everything at it. In fact this is the stuff they are happy to tease us with, I bet there is a ton more nostalgia nods they haven't shown us yet. I suspect if the hacks writing this can think of any outlandish way they can make Enterprise D appear they will.

But I don't hold out much hope as Stewart is, seemingly, not capable of playing Picard anymore. He can only play his own romanticised version of him (insert gif of Picard driving a dune buggy here).

EDIT - the only iota of hope I hold is that, like Frakes and Sirtis do, the rest know how to play those old characters, so once more round the block for Crusher,Troi,Worf,LaForge and Riker and try to ignore the old man doing donuts in the car park.

It's going to be terrible, and that trailer didn't do anything to convince me otherwise. I am however looking forward to seeing the old cast reunited, and for that reason alone it can't possibly be as bad as season 2. Right? :unsure:

57 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

I like First Contact, but it's the beginning of the end of Trek as a hard sci-fi show and predicts the hard pivot to space action spectacle.

True. I think it’s the first film where Patrick Stewart really became emboldened by writers and directors acquiescing to his requirements as well. It was just pure luck that, in this instance, they made First Contact a better film (it was originally supposed to be Riker fighting the Borg on the Enterprise. Which would’ve been less interesting conflict wise.) 

53 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

True. I think it’s the first film where Patrick Stewart really became emboldened by writers and directors acquiescing to his requirements as well. It was just pure luck that, in this instance, they made First Contact a better film (it was originally supposed to be Riker fighting the Borg on the Enterprise. Which would’ve been less interesting conflict wise.) 

Yep, Stewart has unfortunately done more damage than good.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2022 at 16:27, HarMGM said:

I like First Contact, but it's the beginning of the end of Trek as a hard sci-fi show and predicts the hard pivot to space action spectacle.

Thank Q for Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks.

Star Trek was never, and never will be "hard sci-fi". 

It has magic space-elves in it that telepathically pump each other.

• 1 month later...

So the Borg that we know from TNG through to the end of Picard S2 was the joke doctor nerd? Am I meant to go back and watch First Contact thinking she’s Alice Kringe?

Fuck this, I’m going to make myself die via alcohol poisoning tonight, I can’t live in a world where this exists. I’m sorry Discovery, I have treated you too harshly.

On 25/04/2022 at 14:13, Garwoofoo said:

The theme tune to Enterprise is an atrocity but in this age of streaming no-one needs to subject themselves to it any longer. I feel genuinely sorry for those that watched this on broadcast TV first time round though and had to sit through it each and every time.

Yeah, I couldn’t really deal with it all those years ago when it first aired either. I might give it a go now I’ve had a lot of time to get past it, quite the journey. You might say

It’s been a long road.

11 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Amazon recommended I follow up the finale with a show called “God’s Apology”, which seem like what I’m owed.

If you have not seen it already then I would strongly suggest you follow up with ‘Strange New World’s', and restore your faith with the best new Trek show of the last  25 years