Star Trek: Picard - It’s the hope that kills you

layten

Maybe they've mashed the two seasons they filmed into one incoherent mess....

Then maybe the season 3 announcement being so early is because the executives  realised it's a load of shit, so have fired the Kurtzamaniacs and they're filming a whole new TNG season with a competent production team. 

The Orville production team are free now.  a coincidence?

2 hours ago, Jammy said:

Not according to the Twitter acolytes…

E8808892-360D-4CAE-8E68-DB5B3036F8AD.thumb.jpeg.ab2f71d69f981c367d645b36b7043629.jpeg

Genuinely perplexing. There's a part of me that really doesn't want to know how someone ends up like this but I just can't fathom how anybody even passingly familiar with Trek could ever arrive at this conclusion. Especially someone named "Trekkie Bill".

6 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Genuinely perplexing. There's a part of me that really doesn't want to know how someone ends up like this but I just can't fathom how anybody even passingly familiar with Trek could ever arrive at this conclusion. Especially someone named "Trekkie Bill".

Trekkie Bill wants people to disagree with him so he can call them racists and misogynists.

It's like the Ghostbusters 2016 stuff.  

Woeful.

I did find myself trying to work out where exactly Gaius Baltar's Starfleet uniform was meant to fit in the timeline though. And my answer was that they tried to emulate the First Contact uniforms colours using DS9/Voyager materials. 

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

He only recognises simple emotions and he likes her character as she's angry. That's her character.

14 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Whilst the guy in question is almost certainly a troll, one only needs to browse the Picard Reddit to see this phenomenon in full force. Yes, some of those posters will be shills, or literal Paramount employees, but there’s a portion of the Star Trek fan base who will brook no criticism of Discovery or Picard. 

I can only think it’s because the fanbase has been starved of a TV show for twelve years, so some simply will not accept it being anything less than a worthy endeavour. The alternative of admitting that Discovery and Picard have been, largely, mediocre wastes of time and let’s set the clock for another twelve years (or longer) is a tough pill to swallow. 

Three times in the latest episode characters said "We need Picard's help", and all I could think was "Why?". What exactly can he do that they cannot?

Okay here we go...

Spoiler

Just getting back into the swing of things. Recap has reminded me how awesome and shocking that hit and run car scene was. Really edge of your seat stuff.

Holy shit, what a great opening shot. Just slowly panning back from Picard as he delivers some really profound dialogue as we've come to expect from Picard. Keeping the focus on him and not the other person is really smart. Then BOOM Gaius Baltar. Remember him? The association with BSG alone has already elevated this series. It shows the writers really care about sci-fi and sci-fi fans.

This is totally the character study we've been waiting for. I'm glad they've saved this up for the middle of the show, as I think it would have been a bit too powerful if they'd just come out with it out of the gate.

That red glowy orb is an awesome bit of production design. Not obviously CG. Love it.

Fantastic! Amazing seeing young Picard with his mum here. A very sensitive and realistic portrayal of childhood make-believe with your mother in a massive mansion. It's amazing to think how much adversity Picard had to overcome so it's great we get this crucial scene. Very poignant.

"I want to be like you"

Stunning. That kid has some serious acting chops. Really good casting.

I love how his mother never broke character while running from the "real" monster - that's real dedication to the Renaissance fair style craft. I can't imagine how much work that was for the actor to do this "acting within acting". You just don't normally see that kind of thing in a TV show these days. Great stuff.

Already a strong opening and we've not even hit the credits!

Spoiler

That kissing comment from Rafi is right on the money. As a trained Star Fleet officer she knows just how bad it is to mix up your personal and professional life. She's been a real rock for the moral center of the show so far, and it's completely right that she should be policing who gets to kiss who while they are on a mission.

This is a great conversation between Seven and Rafi: with all the emotional turmoil Rafi has had over Elnor recently they've not had much chance to chat about their relationship. Definitely team Rafi and Seven here.

It was right for Rafi to question if Seven meant the Borg Queen when she said "Borg". It definitely wouldn't have been obvious as the Borg Queen was on their side previously and she's a Starfleet officer so she'll know you have to be precise.

This idea of Picard having repressed memories is really something. We're finding out so much about our favourite captain we didn't know before. I wonder why it was never attempted before. These are the stories we need now. We never knew just how much trauma Picard has suffered, but now we can see him get to heal these wounds. On our screens. Today.

It's powerful. It's necessary.

Spoiler

Brilliant little joke there from Laris/The Watcher about not wanting to see the inside of his mind when drunk of this is what it's like when he's sober. It's documented fact that alcohol never makes you jolly - it will always turn people prone to dark thoughts into monsters so I'm glad this is being addressed on TV finally.

Young Picard is knocking this out of the park. He's an incredible find.

Such a fantastic bit of metaphorical storytelling - what is the "monster" haunting Picard? It's suspenseful but sensitive to mental health issues at the same time.

"Why don't you let people in Picard?"

Ah and here we come to the crux of the story. With that one line we're bringing home everything that has happened up to this point. Every single event in the show. The climate change elements, his ancestor Rene, Soong, Gainan, Q, ICE. It was all leading up to this moment. Picard has literally never let anyone get emotionally close to him before, he's never had romantic relationships or been down to Risa or played cards with his crew. He's always been a husk of a man and we're about to find out why.

Exciting!

Spoiler

I'm really impressed with this portrayal of the subconscious and mental health issues.

By framing it with violent monsters and dungeons and cutting back and forth with Baltar interrogating Picard, which we know must be Picard taking himself to task in his own mind, we're getting a real sense of how people deal with trauma in a realistic way. Mental health issues are no joke, and thus series is treating the subject with the gravitas it deserves.

Oh God, not a fan of Rios. Trying to make friends with that little kid in a space helmet? Not believable or relatable at all.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - It’s the hope that kills you