IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

Just why the fuck have they employed an actor to do six parts with different accents when clearly he can only actually do 1.5 different accents. Just have him use his normal voice once you've laughed at his Scottish and Irish attempts. I couldn't get past that this episode. So bad.

It was just so boring. My brain switched off as soon as the Captain had the reaction to seeing Soji and realised they were going to string it out over the whole episode. 

The seven scenes looked out of place. They looked as if they were shoehorned in at the last minute after securing a better contract for Jeri Ryan and realised, no matter how good the Hugh actor was the Romulan ninja didn't have the warrior screen presence of Worf. 

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Dumb Question

Reveal hidden contents

Why are the Zhat Vash keeping secret - if you get too far along Synthetic life, something comes to destory it.

I mean...just tell people? What does it need to be secret?

Indeed. You’d be telling as many people, as loudly, as possible. The Romulans always struck me as pragmatic, at least until now. Far more powerful empires than theirs, with greater resources, wouldn’t be able to police the entire fucking universe. It has to be a combined effort by many different races to stand any chance of success. 

The whole android thing is a bit duff. I'd rather the show be an adventure in how to bring Data back as a synthetic.

Androids killing their creators was done way back in The Original Series, in the episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?", and while basic for its time, had some good ideas. An entire series though?

Will see how this ends, but it needs more than Romulans saying Androids bad and having them blow up Mars etc.

4 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Just why the fuck have they employed an actor to do six parts with different accents when clearly he can only actually do 1.5 different accents. Just have him use his normal voice once you've laughed at his Scottish and Irish attempts. I couldn't get past that this episode. So bad.

I ken what you mean

edit - I actually didn't mind this episode, with the exception of the awful accents and group therapy session.

Hexx is right. It's not an interpretation, that's literally what's explained in the episode.

I also thought the reveal was dumb. As a plot point in of itself it's fine, if obviously derivative, but why keep it a secret? 

Even people who have devoted their life's work to developing synthetic life seem ready to drop everything and kill their mentors on learning the truth. I guess the only weak reason is that people seemingly tend to go insane when experiencing the vision itself, but maybe just don't keep showing it to people?

Speaking of which, that must be some vision. I hope they never try and reveal exactly what it shows, because it's never going to something so powerful it could make people immediately suicidal.

Otherwise the episode was alright, and I liked Picard's speech. If only his optimism was reflected in the show itself.

9 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Hexx is right. It's not an interpretation, that's literally what's explained in the episode.

Hide contents

Evenpeople who have devoted their life's work to developing synthetic life seem ready to drop everything and kill their mentors on learning the truth. I guess the only weak reason is that people seemingly tend to go insane when experiencing the vision itself, but maybe just don't keep showing it to people?

Speaking of which, that must be some vision. I hope they never try and reveal exactly what it shows, because it's never going to something so powerful it could make people immediately suicidal.

I went back and looked - 44.15

’If you cross that line, someone shows up’

’someone bad’

They liken it to developing warp drives and attracting attention

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Is not

Hide contents

Andriods killing creators is it?

I thought it was if synthetic life gets too advanced - something comes along to bitch slap you.

I thought that’s what the Threshold was about

Spoiler

Cylons!

Well, not really. But we're in that territory...

The "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is always some form of android or synthetic life, so its the same thing.

Romulans themselves dont seem to have created synthetic life, so it seems really weird what they're doing to be honest, which is the major flaw in the show I find.

Edit: Unless this is shown later to be that the Romulans are just another puppet for some other big bad of course.

5 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

The "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is always some form of android or synthetic life, so its the same thing.

Not really. "Androids killing its creators" is the Geth rebelling against the Quarians. "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is the Reapers showing up from Dark Space and wiping out all life in the galaxy.

And who's to say it's synths that show up in this case anyway?

11 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Not really. "Androids killing its creators" is the Geth rebelling against the Quarians. "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is the Reapers showing up from Dark Space and wiping out all life in the galaxy.

That's what its always been in past Trek concerning androids (apart from Data), and including the epsiode I posted earlier from ToS. What I find baffling, is why the Romulans never bothered with Data.

Anyway, the Tkon Empire and the Iconians were insanely powerful, yet both got wiped out it seems, but not by androids, or at least its never been mentioned it was by androids. The latters technology is still around, as shown in DS9 (the clip I posted earlier in the thread, concerning the Borg queens teleporter).

There also may be some big bad controlling the Romulans that they havent revealed yet, as at the moment the Romulans are behaving quite oddly for a race not having had the experience of creating androids of their own.

23 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Soji herself is meant to be 'The Destroyer', isn't she? So we know it's a synth?

Well that episode was awesome. Loved all the exposition, Rios in all his forms was fantastic, and nobody face acts as well as Alison Pill’s. Very little actually happened, but that worked this time.

Spoiler

Seven as a “good” Borg Queen would be incredible.

23 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

That was a proper Picard speech that Rios got there at the end.,

Those are exactly my sentimonies. 

There was a rare spark in that scene. A glint in Patrick Stewart’s eye. It was like the old Picard was back, just for a moment. 

8 minutes ago, MpM said:

Surely the Enterprise will be leading the Starfleet Squadron, being sent to no doubt save the day, against the Romulan fleet heading for the synth homeworld?

You think Starfleets going to be on Picard’s side?

22 minutes ago, MpM said:

Surely the Enterprise will be leading the Starfleet Squadron, being sent to no doubt save the day, against the Romulan fleet heading for the synth homeworld?

Probably they'll have some major member-berries like that as the season cliffhanger. Like when the Enterprise showed up at the end of the 1st season of Discovery.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!