IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

13 hours ago, Alex W. said:

This is all an object lesson on why Star Trek needs to either stay dead or be given no-fucks-given carte blance to ignore canon.

I don't think anyone would have a problem on this. (e.g. 2009 movie was largely "accepted" as a new take)

But when the series are reliant on past imagery, storybeats, characters, memberberries etc - and then in next breathe completely ignore it because they're lazy/bad writers - that's what people dislike. Attempts to have it both ways

Yep, this is why I think it would be best to have the next Trek mainstream show be set post TNG/DS9/Voy, say at least 50 or more years in the future. Go back to the exploration aspect of Trek, and have it set in another galaxy instead of a quadrant - this could be done using slipstream drive or transwarp tech or some such that has finally been created from Voyagers data from the Delta quadrant or something. The Andromeda galaxy has already been mentioned in past Trek, but never explored as it takes hundreds of years to reach.

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Oh we're getting the future Period with Discovery. Michael Burnham is going to be the alpha and omega of the Star Trek universe.

She’ll tie everything together by being Picard’s grandmother. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

The accents...Does the Scottish one sounds d as bad to Scots as the Irish one does to me?

I'm not Scottish but you don't have to even have met a Scotsman to know how bad that attempt  is. That and the Irish accents are just insulting. If he pulled off a Chinese accent anywhere near that badly it'd be racist.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Im so confused by this show. I think I like it, but the emergency hologram acting range and Rafi... Hnnnngg. 

There’s just no way Picard would have tolerated Rafi on his crew, surely?

It's funny thinking back to when Picard said it'd be unfair to call on his old crew, and few of us wanted a retread so we were pretty cool with that, but then every time that one's appeared since we've gone THIS IS OUR TREK!

I felt this episode fixed a few of the story glitches. The holograms all being versions of Rios because he picked the wrong install option was kind of hilarious. I guess he picked some dodgy language voices to differentiate them. And it turns out the Doctor woman got some concentrated burst of millenia old thought posion and it wasn't just a three second mind meld that totally convinced her. Similarly comedy villain Romulan woman is actually traumatised by the same so not as one dimensional. Raffi actually showed signs of being competent and not some soap opera reject.

Still many ridiculous aspects though. How the hells do we swallow the coincidence Picard end up on the same ship as the one guy in the whole damn universe who would recognise Soji/Jeanne?

A very odd show overall. But I am enjoying it.

22 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Isn't that basically the same??

That's what it was written for. The TNG theme just borrowed it and sped it up (wisely, i fairness).

How Goldsmith didn't get an Oscar for this score I'll never understand.

6 minutes ago, Festoon said:

That's what it was written for. The TNG theme just borrowed it and sped it up (wisely, i fairness).

How Goldsmith didn't get an Oscar for this score I'll never understand.

I had no idea! I never noticed, though really my trek journey started with TNG as a kid.

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

:quote:*Ahem*

What a wonderful, uplifting composition it is. Perfectly captures the sense of wide-eyed wonder and exploration of the first movie. 

Similarly, the score for Wrath of Khan really delivers on excitement and adventure:

2 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Amazing eh? Let me just post this:

James Horner on "How to make reversing out of a garage epic"

I also liked how the ship you were rooting against there, and was basically the butt of a joke, became the a ship you were rooting for three movies later. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I also liked how the ship you were rooting against there, and was basically the butt of a joke, became the a ship you were rooting for three movies later. 

Little known (nerd) fact: In Star Trek Online you can buy the Excelsior as a T6 ship that came with a special Transwarp Drive module that would occasionally fail and make the same sound effects as in the film :lol:

10 hours ago, Popo said:

What a wonderful, uplifting composition it is. Perfectly captures the sense of wide-eyed wonder and exploration of the first movie. 

Similarly, the score for Wrath of Khan really delivers on excitement and adventure:

It is amazing and gives me shivers every time I see the film, at least once a year.   The reworking for Battle Beyond the Stars and Aliens is equally great. 

I'd save this episode for a Picard binge next week. 

Spoiler

Because it's boring and very unsatisfying  It's going to need a big finish to make up for it. 

What a waste of Spiner. He should have been Lore with new aging tech stolen from Maddox, or something within the lore of 90s Trek. 

Did Roddenbury die with the combination to the safe that held all the short science fiction stories they have collected over the years?

This whole series was very poor. And I'm not having that whole bollocks about first season of Trek always being shit. After the upturn in TV quality since The Wire and Breaking Bad there's no fucking excuse.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!