IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

Borg cube has done.......bugger all. Other than somehow survive, intact and without anyone dying, planetfall (:lol: :facepalm:). What a waste of a plot device. In fact this wholse series has had lots of things that, in the past, would have been an episode of TNG/ToS, but here they're ignored, or just hand waved away in 10 seconds. Such potential. Wasted.

2 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Borg cube has done.......bugger all. Other than somehow survive, intact and without anyone dying, planetfall (:lol: :facepalm:). What a waste of a plot device. In fact this wholse series has had lots of things that, in the past, would have been an episode of TNG/ToS, but here they're ignored, or just hand waved away in 10 seconds. Such potential. Wasted.

They've shafted poor Seven. She was too late to save the Borg drones, too late to save more than a handful of the XBs and then she turns up in a cube with all that grand music and then it gets dragged down to the surface. A shame as it would have been rather handy with that armada of Warbirds turning up. Also, at what point between the Dominion War and their sun blowing up did they get the time to redesign and build that many new Warbirds?

14 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Also, at what point between the Dominion War and their sun blowing up did they get the time to redesign and build that many new Warbirds?

They used the same contractor that the Emperor used in The Rise of Skywalker. I think they're called Fleets-U-Need

The Romulan Star Empire is massive. Fair enough they lost their home system and capital to a Supernova which would be disruptive, but that shouldnt have precipated a general collapse. You'd imagine the scheming Romulan would have plans for similar scenarios. 

There'd need to be a combination of factors to get there - internal unrest (possible given previous events seen in TNG), external threats (fair enough, we don't know what is happening at their far borders, and the Dominion War would have had an effect) and the Supernova. Perhaps there is a interesting story there. But the show is completely schizophrenic as to their portrayal. 

1 minute ago, kensei said:

The Romulan Star Empire is massive. Fair enough they lost their home system and capital to a Supernova which would be disruptive, but that shouldnt have precipated a general collapse. You'd imagine the scheming Romulan would have plans for similar scenarios. 

There'd need to be a combination of factors to get there - internal unrest (possible given previous events seen in TNG), external threats (fair enough, we don't know what is happening at their far borders, and the Dominion War would have had an effect) and the Supernova. Perhaps there is a interesting story there. But the show is completely schizophrenic as to their portrayal. 

Is they can just send that volume of ships at the drop of a hat why did they need the federations help evacuating their planet?

I'm not expecting an answer. It's just all so dumb.

7 hours ago, kensei said:

Apparently Chabon said that they wanted to put more information in regarding the state of The Federation and the Romulan Star Empire following the Dominion War, but were told that 'new viewers might not understand it.' Of course he didn't specify who told them that. Maybe one of the twenty-seven producers.  

Pretty much encapsulates the series 

Some nice moments and scenes - but so many stupid story beat/choices. The Cube stuff remaining the worst. 

The weirdest two for me

Soong just turning off the threat from last week 

Seven and IncestSisters fight. It’s meant to have weight as she killed Hugh...but we never saw Hugh/Seven interact so why are we meant to be invested?

Star Trek: Picard - Old man with no idea what he's doing anymore tries to save the galaxy, but ends up making people hate him.

Including the viewers.

I'm not holding out hope for the last episode after what you lot have said...

At least I can cancel my Amazon Prime trial after tonight, and not be billed for another month.

1 hour ago, readonly said:

What a letdown, but I'd have been deluding myself if I'd imagined it would suddenly get its shit together for the finale. Poor.

Proof that fan service is no substitute for skilled writing.

Does it say something that I couldn't be bothered with last weeks and been watching Ds9 instead?  Still with the finale out tomorrow I'll push on and get both parts done.

Spoiler

What the fuck was the robot space snakes about? Given they are super duper advanced aliens, why would turning off the beacon make the slightest difference?

Why would the Romulans literally driven mad given up just because they turned the beacon off?

Also a truly eye popping amount of swears. It just feels so wrong in Star Trek. 

Already posted as much earlier in the thread @Harsin. New ships look like utter shite in comparison to the stuff in Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager.

Watched it, and what a load of bollocks. Seven isnt Seven - She should have been able to beat that Romulan with one hand tied behind her back. She fucking beat the Rock in an episode of Voyager (she's actually physically stronger than a human, due to her Borg implants, but Kurtzman forgot about that I guess) for crying out loud. Also the Federation (and the Romulan) ships all looked the same, so I guess they ran out of money to make them look different. Copy Pase ftw.

And why would you recreate a doddering old man instead of Data in that fucking golem? What a waste.

Oh well, at least in Star Trek Online, Geordie and the Daystrom Institute crack the Data algorythm and recreate him from B4's memories and positronic net, so fuck you Picard.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!