IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

I mean really that whole series could have been one episode of Next Gen. A two-parter at best.

We never did find out why Soji was on the Cube did we? Nor why Dhaj was on Earth.

If these advanced synthetic lifeforms are so advanced why do they need someone to build a beacon in order to come and fuck things up? Why don't they just come through anyway?

The worst thing is…THIS COULD HAVE WORKED! Okay, maybe not entirely turning it into Ballykissangel With Tricorders, but it would have been better than the reheated Liu Cixin story we got. Not everything has to be "the universe will end because poorly-rendered metal tentacles are coming through a hole".

8 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Oh well, at least in Star Trek Online, Geordie and the Daystrom Institute crack the Data algorythm and recreate him from B4's memories and positronic net, so fuck you Picard.

That Fed ship design felt totally STO to me. In a good way too. I've probably flown one very similar :)

What was the hand holding moment between 

Seven and Raffi? Did I miss a bit where they got it on? I know Rios and Jurati were kind of an item but this seemed to come out of nowhere.

After a cracking first episode I found every episode just plain boring. And please stop with the swears. It just doesn't fit.

What's my name?
Garmadon
Say it again!
Garmadon
Harmonize my name nerds
Garmadon
Ha ha ha ha
Garmadon
Dominate!

Garmadon
Garmadon
Garmadon
Garmadon
Oh yeah

When darkness falls across your town
And the big bad monsters come around
When skeletons rise up from the ground
It's Garmadon!

You feel the fear creep in your bones
You feel the earth shake in your toes
You pee your pants and you run back home
It's Garmadon!

Tell them my name nerds!!

(I'm 15 minutes into the finale! I'll catch up with the thread later. )

125-Badguys_Garmadon_Ltd.jpg

6 hours ago, Flub said:

That Fed ship design felt totally STO to me. In a good way too. I've probably flown one very similar :)

Its clearly a copy paste of the Avenger/Arbiter class Battlecruiser from STO. I have to wonder if they just ripped it off or actually had the rights to use it. Based on the vision being a rip off as well I have to believe its the former.

Terrible

What was achieved story wise, by having Picard dying, only to be resurrected again moments later?  The only sense I can make of it is to hand wave away that brain issue he had, but that brain issue was only a thing since we were reminded of it so often during this series. It would have been far easier to just ignore it until a later point.

Also Sung (Brent Spiner) spending his lifetime developing a Golem, and then dedicating its use to a bloke he just meet briefly a few hours ago is a bit of a stretch. Then making it so the Golem only has a few years of life 'because that's what Picard would have wanted' further adds to the disbelief.

Utterly ridiculous ending.

Spoiler

So many problems with the series. They seemed to very quickly forgive the annoying blonde for brutally murdering maddox. It's been a long time since I watched voyager but that wasn't the seven of nine I remember. 

The scene between data and Picard at the end in the quantum realm struck the right tone. It's such a shame that the rest of it was rubbish. The only good parts of the series were the ones that featured the original TNG cast. 

That was proper bobbins. If a second season if ever made, I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. At least Discovery only murdered the Star Trek name: this murdered a bunch of beloved characters in the Star Trek universe as well. 

The disbelief I felt watching such a pile of shite masquerading as a Star Trek show must have been how Star Trek fans felt while watching Discovery for the first time.

The show effectively went nowhere. Characters were just forgotten at the end - the Romulan bloke just disappears, with no explanation for example. Plot details were never explained, such as "why were Soji and Dahj on a Borg cube and on Earth?" Not even an attempt to answer it. The Borg themselves were totally wasted in this, and did literally nothing for the plot, other than having Hugh for his "memberberries" , and Riker doesnt comment on, or even seem to care about the hole in space with tentacles coming out of it, which leads me to believe this was part of the rushed reshoots that were rumoured. The copy paste Federation fleet seems to back this up too.

No wonder Shatner doesnt want to come back to Trek, and I have to wonder if CBS has asked him as its known they're having financial issues with the franchise. I fucking wouldnt with these clods in charge of Trek.

In spite of everything I kind of liked the last episode. The intergalactic conflict stuff should always just be hokum in the service of character stuff. And they cleared the low low Discovery bar by NOT having a massive pointless battle with hundreds of ships.

The Riker scene was hilarious. Tim Curry levels of tongue in cheek silliness.

Yeah, there are way too many characters and absolutely nothing got resolved. If we're going to be pedantic, every organic character on the show should have been dead within five picoseconds of a colony of superhuman androids deciding on their plan.

"No wonder Shatner doesnt want to come back to Trek"

I somehow doubt that avenue is being explored by either party(!?). Patrick Stewart's barely able to do this, what would Shatner do, nap in a chair for 45 minutes each week?

I loved it.

loved Picard getting to say goodbye to his friend after a lacklustre goodbye previously.

Loved the big confroontation and the unsurprising squeezing of a certain someone into a Starfleet uniform.

Loved it.

Flawed? fuck yes ... massively flawed! pew pew was rubbihs and yeah pick holes in it til the day is over... BUT...

loved it? fuck yes!

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!