IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

1 hour ago, GC Zombie said:
  Hide contents

It was all so pointless. Hundreds of ships, all ready for a fight. Nah, let you off this time. Picard dead, oh no, loads of sad scenes, nah, not really.

Spoiler

A fleet of ships didn’t look as obviously copied and pasted back in TNG when they literally copied and pasted the ships.

Fucking loved that. In actual tears in the 

Spoiler

Bye Data

bit

Yeah, there were flaws but oh my was there so much great stuff in there. Even if I’d guessed the Picard outcome thanks to the opening titles of the first episode.

Sorry it wasn’t for most of you lot but it was for me.

3 hours ago, cubik said:
  Hide contents

Why did Data refer to the Soong guy as his brother? I was half expecting an evil twin Lore twist at the end.

Because they had the same dad.

11 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

So the bit at the end, the big threat

Hide contents

those are the same snake things that attacked that small ship in discovery from the future arnt they?

Spoiler

Given the thematic continuity will robot Picard be appearing in the far future of Disco season 3?

That would suggest the ending was planned rather than a way to choose between killing or retaining Picard depending on how future season negotiations went, without having to worry about reshoots.

9 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

As someone who would rather gouge his eyes out than watch Discovery, what's the link between this show and that, then?

Big metal worms.

7 hours ago, Barnard said:

That was terrible. Really fucking terrible. 

Pew pew pew! 

With all the green lasers firing about during the scene with the multiple copies of the Sirena I thought several Star Destroyers had shown up to the fight.

"Phasers? What are those?" asks Alex Kurtzman.

I both loved it and hated it in equal measure.

But man did they "borrow from multiple sources. Mass Effect obviously. Elite with the space flowers. And weirdly enough my wife was moved by one scene which to me felt... well...inpspired by the Earthsea books.

In

Data's pocket simulation

reminded me a lot of The Dry Land.

From 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(universe) The Dry Land is where the people of the archipelago and reaches of Earthsea go when they die. It is a realm of shadow and dust, of eternal night where the stars are fixed in the sky and nothing changes. The souls who live there have an empty, dreary existence, and even "lovers pass each other in silence".

I found the last episode messy though and it seemed to put Picard up on a pedestal as the true diplomatic hero rather than where I thought it was going, the quixotic Picard having some self realisation.

My wife loved it however.

Where to next though?

Spoiler

Soong had androids falling out his arse on that planet. Why did he keep Data captive in some simulation and not plonk his program into another body?

The magic fucking knuckle duster imagination wand

Rios just so happening to keep a net full of footballs on his bridge

Riker giving starfleet a call and asking on the off chance can you give me command of the most badass ship in the federation for a bit

Urgh.

7 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:
  Hide contents

Soong had androids falling out his arse on that planet. Why did he keep Data captive in some simulation and not plonk his program into another body?

They didn't have any way of doing it until Jurati turned up and helped with the golem, which they used for something else instead.

They did explain this. At least twice.

7 hours ago, Hawklord said:

I stayed away from here until I'd watched them all. Now I'm scared to say I liked it!

Reveal hidden contents

1917078926_StarTrek-Picard-S01E10-EtinArcadiaEgo(2)-WEBDL-1080p.mp4_snapshot_28.43_2020_03.27_22_56_25.thumb.jpg.3c980331a0bb219131bec8d50ab6ecad.jpg

That bit was silly, but Alison Pill was amazing in this series. My favourite new character.

At best that series will go down in history as that time they brought Picard back for a show nobody remembers rather than something you’d sit and watch if you caught a repeat. Riker was pretty much the only character whose personality traits even vaguely resembled who he had been in old series, everyone else was unrecognisable.

11 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

With all the green lasers firing about during the scene with the multiple copies of the Sirena I thought several Star Destroyers had shown up to the fight.

"Phasers? What are those?" asks Alex Kurtzman.

You mean when Picard and Agnes were racing through the flowers to get to the Romulan fleet? Romulans use plasma weapons or disruptors. Which are green.

What I found really disappointing was that there was no massive orgy of a spacefight. You make the effort of bringing all those ships together, you're expecting a ruckus. Although why position them so close together?

And they were very lazy on the variety of ships - usually in space "battles" you get different combos. Here all I saw was the flagship dreadnaught x 100, same with the even more boring Romulan Bird of Prey.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

They didn't have any way of doing it until Jurati turned up and helped with the golem, which they used for something else instead.

They did explain this. At least twice.

Right you are. I'll take your word for it as I'm sure as fuck not watching it again. 

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!