IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

I quite enjoyed that first episode, however….

Spoiler

I just watched RedLetterMedia’s take on the first episode and if Rich’s prediction is correct and the Borg queen is Picard’s mum then it’s the stupidest thing that’s ever happened in Star Trek, and I include ‘Spock’s brain’ in that.

The jury is still out though. They never saw in Discovery Season 3 the

Spoiler

Space Hitler jolly farewell dinner, which is my current low bar. Though with Picard it's a bit more personal.

I am concerned this series is about to go full Mirror Universe, which the twats currently in charge of Star Trek seem to be obsessed with.

It was only ever a jokey little thing in DS9 (and, truth be told, none of the MU episodes after the first one were much good) but Discovery keeps on coming back to it time and again and I think we're going to see Picard do the same.

The two-parter in Discovery leading up to the bit @Benny describes above was the worst Star Trek I've ever seen, and I've watched season 2 of Enterprise.

The new episode addresses that.

Spoiler

Not really MU. It's the main universe changed in the past and ends up becoming like the MU. And the task of the season is to go back and prevent that happening.

On 06/03/2022 at 18:35, Festoon said:

Make sure you read Fade In by Michael Piller about the writing of Star Trek Insurrection if you'd like to see more of Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner having too much influence on their characters and storylines. Don't like action Picard? Stewarts idea. Human emotion Data? Spiner's idea.

Edit. It's here: 

File not found. Any links?

16 hours ago, jcafarley said:

I quite enjoyed that first episode, however….

Reveal hidden contents

I just watched RedLetterMedia’s take on the first episode and if Rich’s prediction is correct and the Borg queen is Picard’s mum then it’s the stupidest thing that’s ever happened in Star Trek, and I include ‘Spock’s brain’ in that.

Well it was an obvious thing to leap to, what with what the queen said to him at the start.

Although it could be another universe thing, looping around.

It seems TOO obvious to me.

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

The new episode addresses that.

Hide contents

Not really MU. It's the main universe changed in the past and ends up becoming like the MU. And the task of the season is to go back and prevent that happening.

Which is essentially what time travel is. Creating infinite universes for infinite possibilities. I didn't like that explanation, as it goes against my PHD in sci fi I have from watching all this crap.

If you follow star trek, it's definitely not the same thing.

Spoiler

Mirror Universe in ST has some of the characters swapping universes, so good Kirk winds up in the evil universe; bad Kirk winds up in the good universe. 

This hasn't done that.

That said, it may as fucking well be. But I have to be honest, as someone who hates everything to do with the Mirror Universe bullshit, I enjoyed this second episode.

I did quite enjoy watching their varied reactions to the initial displacement and quick (in some cases more than others) adaption to it.

So much so that I feel it is now a part of basic starfleet training that everyone is prepped for. I bet the academy even has legal paperwork on it that HR has to issue to new recruits. Section 32c, 'I acknowledge the risk of space-time dislocation by extra-dimensional beings'.

So this isnt mirror universe stuff then? at least not the mirror universe we've had before. name dropping 

Spoiler

general sisko, when Sisko died in the mirror universe, so this is an alternate future.

I tell you what though... the main story of this is fanfiction levels of complexity. far too many memberberries. 26 minutes in, i'm done.

Oh no it's that time again.

This time I'll actually just post a few times to spare you all my inane ramblings. [edit: I lied]

Spoiler

Watching the recap, already reminded how silly this is.

"Yesterday's Enterprise" reference. No, stop. You have to earn those.

The way Q and Picard are circling each other is cut really weirdly. Picard will be quiet one moment then the cadence will change suddenly to shouting. He's not supposed to be senile.

Oh no, racism! It sure looks and smells like a mirror universe...

What the fuck, Picard personally killed all of the big name characters we've heard of before from Star Trek like some sort of fascist Mary Sue? :lol:

That's some dumb member berries right there. Like Picard had nothing to do with Deep Space 9 characters but we've heard of them I guess so there's your references nerds! Choke on them!

Spoiler

So fascists drink black coffee apparently. Cos it's all dark and non tea like.

So I'm guessing this is an alternate timeline rather than an alternate universe, but I'm sorry I don't buy this idea that there is a timeline where Picard is a fascist general. Because that assumes the idea that in *this* universe there are a series of choices or events that could have led Picard to being that sort of person. Which if that is the case it does a massive disservice to the character and integrity of Picard and the kind of person he always is or will be.

It suggests the greatness and goodness of a person is down to the universe they live in or their circumstances, NOT that they are capable of being a great and just and moral character all by themselves. Which is a depressing worldview.

Spoiler

They keep referencing Deep Space 9 characters without actually introducing any. "I'll get general Sisko"... Oh wow they got Avery Brooks?! "No, call Cigar Man! Because he's actually on the cast list"

Stop reminding us of a better show, Christ :lol:

Spoiler

Hey Star Trek fans, what if Star Trek, but you know, not Star Trek and war and racism instead. Because you can't tackle those stories in Star Trek apparently so we had to take the Star Trek out of Star Trek to tell our story that isn't Star Trek.

Oh also btw there's a bloke called Picard in it that we named the show after for some reason idk.

Spoiler

Oh yay, jokes about nerds being lonely shuts ins. What the fuck.

The Borg Queen keeps madly shaking her head around in a bit much "malfunctioning robot" acting for my liking.

Oooh now the Picard dressed like a fascist promo pictures actually make sense now. Because he was.

Spoiler

Time to make you sympathise with the Borg!

We tried it with Space Hitler in Discovery and that went swimmingly so let's go for it!

All the characters saying what they do in this reality (and who are already in a group together, gee that got resolved quick) and Legolas is like "I'm a rebel!" :lol:

In this he's literally now just a cadet in Star Fleet. He wasn't even on the ship with them when the Q business happened, but because he's one of the cast members from the last season he must, through means organic or contrived, MUST somehow meet up with the main cast and for literally no fathomable reason must also know who he was from the other timeline. Which makes zero sense at all.

Spoiler

With "time being broken" the most interesting thing they could come up with is Earth is full of Gammons now.

Oh obviously "the Watcher" is Guinan

Spoiler

One of us is captaining a ship, oh how CONVENIENT!

But they shot his scenes on a different day unfortunately so we can't all beam onto the ship with him.

Maybe the actor had Covid.

Spoiler

I just laughed so much I nearly hyperventilated

When Seven and Picard walk out onto that wrestling style stage :lol:

There's gonna be a smackdown tonight!

Spoiler

I'm in tears, Elnor just virtually beheaded someone again :lol:

What started out with a first episode that sounded introspective and with lots of people chatting with Picard about Picard and maybe threatening to become a character study is now....

Oh boy :lol:

I bet they thought that last line sounded really cool on paper.

Some extended thoughts:

Spoiler

Because the idea of Picard rescuing a Borg must have seemed like the most original idea ever as they furiously typed away, making that pure, unprocessed TV gold.

Anyway, I thought at the end they were actually going to escape to another time period and then the whole show would be them hopping about in different periods of ancient history like classic Trek episodes or even like on the Holodeck. But no, they just get captured in the most dramatically flat episode ender ever.

Imagine how fun that could have been, hopping back to Roman times, Picard in a toga. Getting some real vineyarding in.

Have a different time period for each episode, so different costumes and cultural concerns. Seeing how similar but different each period was depending on how exactly Q had changed it and what they have to tweak in each to play his game. Maybe even have Q pop up after and maniacally laugh before sending them back in time again.

You know, like a real Star Trek show. Or even a real show.

Yeah it seems that Episode 2 need not really have existed.

One thing about "alternative universes", and I'll continue here because it's been in all the previews, is - how come we always end up with the evil ones.

Maybe I've not seen all of star trek, but what about the simpleton or super nice bum sucker universe or timeline?

The super nice universe where Klingons give out hugs and are all hairdresses. I mean, you'd have thought with their flowing manes there must be a universe where Worf swoons about with a mostly open shirt as Gowron paws at his chest in an almost sitcom style Baber shop-in-space-station. 

See what the writers really want to do is give us another dark universe where by Geordie is king and eats the fucking eyes out of people's faces because eyes! Lol.

I say give us a super fun timeline or universe - the best near example of this was Reg's holosuite programme with Stumpy Riker.

More of that please.

tl;dr you could skip this episode apart from they escaped with someone else in tow, and you wouldn't have missed much.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!