IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

You say handwaving, whereas I say you lack imagination. This is something I've encountered frequently when watching TV shows, especially sci-fi. I'm perfectly capable of making logical conclusions and accepting them, while most other people struggle.

🤷‍♂️

Or you're making excuses for terrible writing 🤷‍♂️

It's not the audiences job to just fill in all the plot holes and blanks. Make the thing make sense and you don't need big exposition dumps.

I still think this season was miles better than both Discovery and S1 Picard.

Yeah it has issues and some pretty big ones at that, but just about everyone commenting on it in here have stuck with it.  Why is that???

4 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Yeah it has issues and some pretty big ones at that, but just about everyone commenting on it in here have stuck with it.  Why is that???

giphy-downsized-large.gif

22 minutes ago, Waggo said:

90794505_unnamed(1).jpg.815fe8fd875fc75cbacc260319a504d4.jpg

The S2 finale was *nowhere near* as bad as S1's ineptly edited disaster. Faint praise, I know.

The Q story wrapped up much more effectively than I expected. (Let's be honest, a LOT of times Q was brought back in the 90s shows was pretty blatant ratings chasing. I got the impression John De Lancie gave more of a shit about giving the character a good send off.)

The ship shots looked *great*, it's something that was much more integral to TNG than people remember, and the general lack of them really hurt this show.

The effects are all over the place in this show though. The 'new' queen looked crap, especially compared to the decent practical fx of the other queen. The zoom in to the Earth and zoom out from low poly Chateau Picard were laughably bad.

Was the Europa mission supposed to be a NASA operation? If so this was a particularly shitty and 'un-trek' element to show them as being incompetent and corrupt. It's just about plausible if it was supposed to be a commercial mission I guess?

A lot of this series didn't work because the cartoonish macro-scale logic of TNG (where stuff too complicated to resolve on screen can be given a throwaway line by Geordi or Worf looking at a monitor) falls apart in a modern day real world setting. (Not that the writing is a patch on even bad TNG.)

Oh and 'tell the other ships to relinquish control, Picard says it's fine' is absolute bullshit, Patrick Stewart finally achieving the goal of having full sex with his ego on screen. Literally minutes earlier the crew were disobeying orders to stop firing!

It felt like a massive 'fuck you' from the writers to have an epilogue scene with all the worst characters surviving. And Wil Wheaton is still awful.

All that said: page 98 of this thread is giving me a migraine. It's not that hard to pay attention to the dialogue of a 45 minute show, really? Or remember how time travel in a 'Q' story typically works? There are things that are badly explained in this show (like alternate-timeline Picard not being a robot, which caught RLM out as well), but the basic arc of the plot ties up fine. It's shit and stupid and had to find things to do for about four times too many characters, but there is a two page treatment of the 'main' story that works.

Why did it have to be specifically Renee Picard on the Europa mission to avoid a Nazi future? Was that explained?

Why is the writing so bad on this, isn’t Michael Chabon considered quite talented? Was that ever explained?

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

Why did it have to be specifically Renee Picard on the Europa mission to avoid a Nazi future? Was that explained?

Why is the writing so bad on this, isn’t Michael Chabon considered quite talented? Was that ever explained?

Spoiler

She discovers an alien microbe that repairs environmental damage on Earth.

8 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

One thing about Q

Hide contents

realising that he's dying. Didn't Quinn from Voyager fight to become mortal and commit suicide because he found immortality boring and depressing? So isn't it already established fact that the Q are immortal and had to be banished from the Continuum before they could die?

They did address this in the show.

I'm still unclear as to who the Romulan lady that Picard fancied was/is? Does she go back In time to become the watcher, if so why didn't she remember Picard when first meeting him?

A confusing end to a boring season. I will say it was better than Season 1 and had such a strong start. I think budgetary constraints didn't help matters, so everything was two years from now for most of the season.

11 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I'm still unclear as to who the Romulan lady that Picard fancied was/is? Does she go back In time to become the watcher, if so why didn't she remember Picard when first meeting him?

No time travel involved. She's a completely different person who just happens to look identical. Which happens a bit this season.

Spoiler

I like how no-one has mentioned the big, quadrant destroying thing at the end, so badly was it shoehorned in at literally the last minute, so any sense of dread or fear was surpassed by all the shite that happened before. It would have worked better if the mighty Federation had identified this big, quadrant destroying thing at the start of the season. But whatever. Picard is a joke in writing and consistency.

I think my favourite bit of the last episode was

Spoiler

bringing Elnor back but completely fucking the reveal by shoehorning it into an ongoing crisis so you only have time for the "hi guys" "oh that's what Q meant" bit after all Raffi's moping all season and then it's back to whatever other ill-conceived nonsense was going on. Just a complete inability to write drama of any kind.

11 minutes ago, Benny said:

This is one of the worst things, just the worst. Why? Well...

Hide contents

It's a very good example of what a "liberal establishment" sci-fi solution to a problem like climate change might be. That some advanced technology will come along and be the solution to all our problems and usher in a amazing new future. This allows for society itself to not have to actually change: that we can continue to push forwards with a capitalist society then free of the hand wringing middle class guilt that it's also destroying out planet.

No need for society to change or allow for any self reflection, just some magic space microbe comes down and means we don't have to actually address any societal problems that could be why we caused the issue in the first place.

This goes COMPLETELY against what Star Trek was always supposed to be about: the reason humanity reached a utopian future was not because of technology, but was forged by humans fixing the problems with society itself which is what allowed humanity to advance forwards with better technology, learning and understanding of other cultures, exactly because Starfleet existed in a society which itself has moved on, especially from outdated ideas like capitalist thinking etc.

It also goes against NuTrek lore. Stammets said in Discovery that the planet was dying before humans woke up and changed their ways, using renewables. Going against the bacteria miracle solution

8 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

It also goes against NuTrek lore. Stammets said in Discovery that the planet was dying before humans woke up and changed their ways, using renewables. Going against the amoeba miracle solution

The money thing is another area they seemingly retconned/forgot in the first season of Picard. Remember destitute drug addict Raffi?

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

No time travel involved. She's a completely different person who just happens to look identical. Which happens a bit this season.

So not even a parallel universe version of her? Fuck me that's lazy!!

Spoiler

I sat through ten episodes of this to find out that what Q really wanted all along was a cuddle?

Absolute dross from start to finish.

Well this was predictably daft.

Spoiler

So Jurati/Queen's "prophecy" in aid of any kind of clever temporal shenanigans, she just meant someone had to disguise themselves as Renee and get themselves killed in her place. Why? Why not just shoot Soong? Also why the stupid cryptic prophecy?

Soong's drones might as well have not been there. They were purely there for the sake of giving the rest of the cast something to do, in a really stupid way. Oh no, these drones inertly sitting in front of us are about to launch! We can't possibly stop them, but might be able to take control if we had some scissors. 

Why not just shoot the drones? :unsure:

Soong: "I really want to shake hands with the astronauts"

NASA woman: "We can't allow that due to quarantine, obviously. You could jeopardise the mission"

Soong: "But I paid you lots of money!"

NASA woman: "Oh go on then."

Oh, and I guess the galaxy was about to be destroyed again after all. 

PROJECT KHAN :rolleyes:

I actually quite liked the Q stuff though. It seemed fitting that he'd want his dying act to be something of a gift to Picard, his favourite human, and his scenes were kind of touching. It's obviously complete nonsense that Picard's supposed character defining childhood trauma is only being brought up now, but I'll take what I can get.

Rios got a happy ending, sort of, although as one of the only good things about the show it sucks that he's gone. I was a bit taken aback by Guinan's calm account of his eventual violent death though.

Can't wait for season three, guys! :omg:

58 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

When?

When Q said “you know how Q don’t die? Well it seems I’m an exception for some reason”. Or words to that effect.

Spoiler

I think I'd blocked the folder with "DO NOT OPEN, TOP SECRET, CLASSIFIED, MUM KEEP OUT!!!!, PROJECT KHAN" in big letters from my memory.

The same for the terrible Wesley cameo. He might be a galactic super being but his acting skills haven't improved.

Lazy writing and the worst kind of fan service.

Picard has turned out to be the sci-fi equivalent of an Alan Patridge TV idea.

Fingers crossed for season 3 to be based around that tar thing that killed Tasha Yar but in the last episode it turns out he wasn't bad all along, he was just after a hug.

Either that or Beverly's sexy ghost boyfriend haunts her again for 9 episodes and then changes his plans and runs away with Doctor Pulaski in the tenth.

23 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Jesus Christ I feel broken. Can't say I didn't go into this without eyes open but

Hide contents

PROJECT KHAN, fucking hell

Should have been:

Spoiler

Project KHAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

Anyway. What a terrible, terrible series.

Spoiler

Why didn't Wesley appear and offer to get them home? You know, instead of letting Q literally kill himself doing so? And why not actually step in and save the life of his agent? Sure, he may not be able to "guarantee their safety", but if he is so omnipotent and aware of events he could, at least, step in as they lie dying from a neurotoxin and teleport then to a medical facility.

Oh, and an actual lol at the revelation of Rios' death. "He died as he lived, in a drunken Mexican bar fight" [Picard smiles wistfully]

1 hour ago, deKay said:

When Q said “you know how Q don’t die? Well it seems I’m an exception for some reason”. Or words to that effect.

"For some reason" lol. Reminds me of when Battlestar Galactica went off the rails and their reasoning for stuff happening was "God did it".

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!