Dead by Daylight

It’s not that bad and they regularly do free codes to unlocked blood points - in the two weeks I’ve been playing they’ve given away about 500k of blood points. 

In terms of who is worth levelling, if you’re focused on survivor then you want:

From Bill:

-unbreakable

-borrowed time 

From Meg

- sprint burst

- adrenaline 

From David 

- Dead Hard

From Laurie

- Decisive strike

From Claudette

- Self care

For survivors, I’ve got Claudette to 42, Meg to 35

For killers I’ve got Leatherface to 42, Legion to 22, Deathslinger to 22. 

On 13/04/2021 at 08:34, Doctor Shark said:

It’s not that bad and they regularly do free codes to unlocked blood points - in the two weeks I’ve been playing they’ve given away about 500k of blood points. 

In terms of who is worth levelling, if you’re focused on survivor then you want:

From Bill:

-unbreakable

-borrowed time 

From Meg

- sprint burst

- adrenaline 

From David 

- Dead Hard

From Laurie

- Decisive strike

From Claudette

- Self care

For survivors, I’ve got Claudette to 42, Meg to 35

For killers I’ve got Leatherface to 42, Legion to 22, Deathslinger to 22. 

Do they give it away in game or on Twitter or other?

Two and a half weeks since I started playing this...

DC0BC20B-4FF0-4204-8F55-09C28F8C8226.thumb.png.67e9eb08302ffdb923df0f76abfbad04.png

It would probably be higher, but the kids have been off for Easter. 

I love it. Sure, it frustrates me sometimes when I go up against rank 1-4s who’ve been playing the game for years and for thousands of hours and they run rings round me, but overall I’ve not been as into a game as this since...well, World of Warcraft is probably the only game in the last 16 years that’s got this much attention from me!

I’d had a few rough matches in a row and then I had two games where the survivors were properly taking the piss, just flat out running towards me to slow me down to stop me getting their pal to a hook, teabagging, flash light clicking, that kind of shit (which, if you have no idea what I’m talking about, is all considered very bad form in the etiquette of the game!). Well...this is what happens when you do all that to me when I’m in a bad mood already!

FEA1E7C3-E7E4-4B4C-814D-F6D580EE2D2B.jpeg.1ba2420ef8695f361b3abf253b8fe471.jpeg

A8FF589C-AD91-4E63-9C86-7E33DDE04A4B.jpeg.04b1bb3495821909b7ab1549a8cc3509.jpeg

48812C95-96A3-4867-905E-1B091F5D60B2.jpeg.64cad091a1d1797ea983cc93c29e8220.jpeg

EC700B10-F093-470A-8406-541C15BE0E40.jpeg.8d5938f5d086a3bb22a315f385106f96.jpeg

I hate playing as killer. The matchmaking puts you up against actual fucking ninjas so trying to learn the ropes is fucking tiresome. I want to get good at it. I've watched some videos for tips and whatnot but it kind of goes out of the window in practice.

Also how the fuck do you use the Hillbilly's chainsaw?

You use Hillbilly’s chainsaw in two ways:

1 - to bomb across the map really, really quickly 

2 - when you’re right behind someone and know it will definitely hit them once it gets going. 

The most common mistake you can make with Billy (or Leatherface) is activating the chainsaw early because chances are the survivor will just duck behind something and cause you to clip it, ending your chainsaw attack. It’s bad as Billy but it’s fucking hell on earth as Leatherface as it makes you do a 8 second long tantrum where you spin the chainsaw wildly and can’t move and believe you me, that 8 seconds is a fucking eternity when you are trying to catch a survivor. 

General tips for playing as killer:

- survivors will typically start far away from you so once a match starts pick one of the furthest gens and head to it. 

- when you first get into the game, look around and see if there is a group of 3 generators relatively close to one another. If there is, defend them with your life. You want to get the survivors into what is known as a “3 gen”, which is where they need to activate 1 or 2 more gens but the only ones available are the three very close together ones you’re constantly patrolling. 

- Don’t attack until you know you can hit as prolonging the chase until you can guarantee a whack is better than whiffing and eating the recovery animation 

- Don’t let survivors drop pallets on your head 

- If a survivor drops a pallet before you’ve chased them round the fixture it’s part of at least twice, they’ve fucked up and wasted the pallet. 

- mind games are important. As the killer you project a massive red glow in front of you referred to as “the red stain” - survivors will see that before they see you, so if you’re chasing them round something, considering moonwalking round corners so they don’t see you coming until you’re physically round the corner. 

- your base speed is faster than that of the survivors so over a straight line you are faster and will catch them. Survivors all run at 100% speed, most killers run at 115%, some at 110% and only one, nurse, at 95% (but she can basically no clip through anything in the game very quickly to make up for it)

- survivors will try and “loop” you, which is run in circles, benny hill style, around obstacles. There are different configurations of these obstacles and some are better for you and some better for them, so you need to learn which is which 

- don’t be afraid to give up on a chase. If you’re running after a target you’ve hit and you notice they’re running to the end of the map with no gens in, then turn the fuck around and run back the way you came cus they’re doing it on purpose so that the rest of the team can do gens behind you

- don’t chase anyone for more than a minute, roughly. A gen being done by a single survivor takes 70 seconds assuming no failed skill checks. More survivors and it’s even quicker, so if you spend more than a minute chasing one person, there is plenty of time for the others to do one, two or even three gens and put you onto a loss. 

- some killers have better map/gen pressure than others by virtue of their powers or their perks

- some killers are bad at the start of the game and then get good mid or late game where they can snowball the survivors into multiple downs and hooks. Some killers the opposite is true: they’re good early on but get worse as the match progresses. 

One thing that's great fun to do with the chainsaw is use it to beeline right to a generator on the other side of the map. If you can steer directly onto the generator itself you can even chainsaw people who are genning which is hilarious and absolutely scares the shit out of them. Another good use of it is in a chase to try and predict where a survivor will head and chainsaw to catch them when they are going to pop out from a window or behind a wall/cover. 

Like you say matchmaking is an issue though, learning Killer can be very unforgiving and frustrating, especially as the better you start doing the more likely you are to be matched against friends playing in teams who are much harder to beat than solos (and tend to be toxic af which is really why I stopped playing Killer, I got sick of it).

Yeah the one match I played today were all blatantly playing together and were all old hands at it. I was trying not to camp the one guy I got hooked as it's bad form, but they still got him off anyway. I got one silver medal. Blerg.

7 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Like you say matchmaking is an issue though, learning Killer can be very unforgiving and frustrating, especially as the better you start doing the more likely you are to be matched against friends playing in teams who are much harder to beat than solos (and tend to be toxic af which is really why I stopped playing Killer, I got sick of it).

This is me. I’ve been playing just over two weeks and I’ve gotten to rank 11 really, really quickly (I was almost rank 10 before the reset on the 13th) with very few unlocked perks (literally, I only have Leatherface’s available to other killers) and the sudden jump in skill of survivors has been painful. I go from getting 4 kills to getting none and then losing rank “pips”, meaning I bounce back and forth between 12 and 11 as I rank up then derank then rank up again. 

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah the one match I played today were all blatantly playing together and were all old hands at it. I was trying not to camp the one guy I got hooked as it's bad form, but they still got him off anyway. I got one silver medal. Blerg.

Let me know when you’re next going to be on and I’ll see if we can get a full survivor group going. I can’t promise we’ll be any better, but at least we’ll have a laugh. 

I can do most nights so it's prolly easier for you to let me know when you and others are about. Mondays are the only definite out as that's my weekly appointment to get decimated at Apex Legends. Also I'll get it on PC as I think there's a way to link progressions on different formats and that just makes it easier for chat.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I can do most nights so it's prolly easier for you to let me know when you and others are about. Mondays are the only definite out as that's my weekly appointment to get decimated at Apex Legends. Also I'll get it on PC as I think there's a way to link progressions on different formats and that just makes it easier for chat.

You can link the Xbox game pass version and I believe the pc game pass version, but not the pc game pass version and the steam version - blame Microsoft for that one - for cross platform progression. It’s the reason I ended up buying the game on steam instead of playing with the game pass version - the dlc was much cheaper to get. 

Also, I play basically every night from 9pm onwards. I already have two people I play with so would be great to have a fourth for a full group! 

I kinda dislike the game when you get in the top 5 ranks. When it resets it definitely feels more fun for a while. Never managed to get above rank 4 though..

Resident Evil dlc coming soon, i am intrigued on what the killer will be! Trailer made it sound like zombies although not sure how that would work.

19 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I hate playing as killer. The matchmaking puts you up against actual fucking ninjas so trying to learn the ropes is fucking tiresome. I want to get good at it. I've watched some videos for tips and whatnot but it kind of goes out of the window in practice.

Also how the fuck do you use the Hillbilly's chainsaw?

Best thing to do to learn killer is to do custom games with people so you can piss about without dealing with a bunch of toxic survivors tea bagging you at every turn. It's especially helpful for harder characters like Nurse and Spirit.

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

I kinda dislike the game when you get in the top 5 ranks. When it resets it definitely feels more fun for a while. Never managed to get above rank 4 though..

Resident Evil dlc coming soon, i am intrigued on what the killer will be! Trailer made it sound like zombies although not sure how that would work.

It's Mr X from Resi 2 isn't it?

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

It's Mr X from Resi 2 isn't it?

It hasn't been announced to my knowledge. Would be cool but he isn't exactly a great fit for the game? His size for one thing and he doesn't really have anything that special would make him stand out?

Oh, ok. When I was researching how to play killer I just saw a load of memes with him in it and presumed it was him. It could be interesting to be a licker from 2. Maybe Nemesis with his rocket launcher. It'll probably be fucking Wesker.

I think it will be Mr X with Tyrant and Nemesis skins available. I think the survivor will be Chris and Jill with Leon and Claire skins available.

I look forward to countless vids of Mr X punching survivors to "X gon give it to ya". RIP DMX.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

It hasn't been announced to my knowledge. Would be cool but he isn't exactly a great fit for the game? His size for one thing and he doesn't really have anything that special would make him stand out?

His power would be his super dash punch, a bit like Oni's when he's in demon rage mode or whatever it's called. Hard to aim, but instant down if it gets you, I reckon.

Also, regarding his size, Trapper, Oni, Leatherface and even Plague are all big buggers, so could work. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Nope, Steam and Stadia only :seanr: that's a massive disappointment. Xbox it is because I ain't starting again and playing 2 versions.

It’s fine, man. You’re not missing out on anything other than end game chat, you can still join us in game and use discord for chat like we do 

Had some good games tonight. 

Tried nurse for the first time. For those who don’t know, her power lets her basically noclip through walls, ceilings, floors, pallets etc. You have a nasty 3 second stun briefly after you do so, so you need to blink to someone and hit them. She’s considered both the best killer in the game and also the hardest to play. 

406B481F-EE38-447E-BDCA-B486206C2D7B.thumb.jpeg.3b6ec6398fa71a7a1c5b12416a709cc5.jpeg

Also had two games as Michael Myers. First was great, three kills and a hatch. Second I didn’t kill anyone and they all escaped. I can tell Myers is either really, really strong or really, really bad depending on map, which perks the survivors have etc. He’s quite fun, though. 

4661B673-D8A6-4DCB-B90C-A335C826EE82.thumb.jpeg.79bd20ddc913eff717a81243c34a9be9.jpeg

Also got a near perfect score as Wraith whilst doing the daily challenge for him. 32000 is the max score you can get in a match and I got 31900! 

1B062BDE-1FCB-4FC8-A7E3-03730EBA619F.thumb.jpeg.3fe2ed0965adc6de2a03bdbb3f762db0.jpeg

Also hit rank 10 as Killer which I’m pleased with given how little time I’ve actually been playing the game. 

Also encountered my first seriously toxic person tonight. The four of us survivors were up against trickster. He kept going after the one person not in my party whilst the rest of us did all 5 gens. He hooked that one person twice and I unhooked them both times and healed them. All four of us escaped. At the end of the match this survivor was fuming at the rest of us, calling us useless, saying he’d been chased for 8 minutes and the rest of us sucked etc.

I reminded him that him being chased allowed us to do our objectives, I’d unhooked him and healed him twice and we’d all escaped but he wasn’t having any of it, calling his fellow survivors all sorts of things, including retards and telling us to kill ourselves, said he was a better player and the rest of us should uninstall the game (and completely ignoring that I got awarded more points than he did). Anyway after winding him up a bit in chat I promptly reported the little shit. If he’s that salty when he wins imagine when he loses! 

Spent my 1million blood points on levelling up Nurse to unlock Thanatophobia and A Nurse's Calling. Of course this now means I have tons of good purple perks on the Nurse and want to start playing as her now.

Shocking night on this last night. Disconnected because the killer DC'd at the beginning of the match twice and then my Series X hard shut down for no reason. I went to bed at quarter past nine, I was so fucked off with it all.

I've been watching Twitch streamers to try and glean some insight and they're speaking in tongues. I've found a couple who don't instantly piss me off. They're uniformly on PC and the only time they struggle with matching times is when there's  cross play. Figures.

It's very difficult to enjoy this when you're sitting for minutes at a time waiting for matchmaking.

Tried it on PC Game Pass and it made my PC chug for 5 minutes after closing for some reason, and as I understand it it's considered a different network to the Steam version so I forked out the 4 quid for that. I guess I can have 2 versions on the go...

Alright bud, add me on steam and we’ll get you into our survivor games. There’s typically three of us so a fourth would be spot on and not leave us to the mercy of randoms. 

We play most nights from about 9pm onwards. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Alright bud, add me on steam and we’ll get you into our survivor games. There’s typically three of us so a fourth would be spot on and not leave us to the mercy of randoms. 

We play most nights from about 9pm onwards. 

We decided to sell up so the last two weeks (about as long as I've been playing) have meant I've either been too tired to play or too antisocial to. Also I'm a bugger for going "Yeah let's play!" And then never organising it.  Ask @Len about my Tarkov intentions.

But next week, son. Next week I am going to be on it and being a proper liability.