N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Whenever I read about the N64, it makes me want to play Snowboard Kids with my mates again. 

I didn’t ever get to play the sequel but like to dream that I can one day! 

Blimey, is doom64 supposed to be quite this dark? (NTSC-J console, ED64 in N-mode, NTSC-U ROM, hdmi scaler)

also Chopper Attack is rubbish. The aiming reticle bears NO relation to where your shots go.

36 minutes ago, Ftsthe said:

Whenever I read about the N64, it makes me want to play Snowboard Kids with my mates again. 

i just tried the first one. I think I prefer steep slope sliders on the saturn.

sequel next...

10 hours ago, SeanR said:

i just tried the first one. I think I prefer steep slope sliders on the saturn.

sequel next...

I haven’t owned a Saturn before but I remember watching Steep Slope Sliders on some sort of gaming show on tv and thinking it looked incredible. How does it hold up now?

Looks like prices for the PixelFX are in, using that company that had preorders on ebay it will be around £328 for the upgrade inc some extra bits such as capacitor/voltage mods, universal cart slot etc.

That's $175 for the HDMI mod alone (plus postage/customs), for those who just want that bit of it. Impossible to make value judgements, but it sounds about right to me for what it is - well engineered stuff produced by a small company in limited numbers, and 100% a niche product.

I won't be upgrading from my UltraHDMI to this though, much as I love PixelFX/BlackDog.

On 14/04/2021 at 19:13, Ftsthe said:

The ski lift is one of the most diabolical multiplayer mechanics of all time, it's genius. 

The second game is decent but essentially more of the same. The DS game on the other hand was an abomination.

Yeah I love the first game but for some odd reason whilst it got an Aus  release they decided Europe shouldn’t get the sequel. Although I’ve just bought a cart only copy on eBay for £30. Clearly a repro as they have rows of cart only games in their listing but worth a try at least.

The ski lift mechanic is so fun and frustrating, the music is a joy and it all has a dream like quality to the visuals. It’s a game filled with content too, love the first game.

On 16/04/2021 at 12:05, Oracle said:

Looks like prices for the PixelFX are in, using that company that had preorders on ebay it will be around £328 for the upgrade inc some extra bits such as capacitor/voltage mods, universal cart slot etc.

They also offer modded machines. I know it's expensive but I've ordered a NTSC-J machine.

"All premodded consoles will have undergone capacitor and voltage regulator change and a deep clean as standard.

(For those that will buy the kit directly from BDT take off £185-195* from the price below)

Pal N64D modded console  £379

NTSC-J N64D modded console  £409

NTSC-U/C N64D modded console   £429

These prices reflect the price/difficulty in obtaining consoles from different regions here in the UK."

13 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

The ski lift is one of the most diabolical multiplayer mechanics of all time, it's genius. 

The second game is decent but essentially more of the same. The DS game on the other hand was an abomination.

I didn’t even know there was a DS game. What made it so bad?

the ski lift is hilarious! I imagine if you released a game with it now, it would be very much up for criticism but it was very fun in split screen

On 14/04/2021 at 19:37, SeanR said:

Blimey, is doom64 supposed to be quite this dark? (NTSC-J console, ED64 in N-mode, NTSC-U ROM, hdmi scaler)

also Chopper Attack is rubbish. The aiming reticle bears NO relation to where your shots go.

What is N Mode??

2 hours ago, Ftsthe said:

I didn’t even know there was a DS game. What made it so bad?

This video does a decent job of explaining. The title alone ('Snowboard Kids DS : the game that kills your childhood') speaks volumes, it's the first video search result I saw! 

3 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

They also offer modded machines. I know it's expensive but I've ordered a NTSC-J machine.

"All premodded consoles will have undergone capacitor and voltage regulator change and a deep clean as standard.

(For those that will buy the kit directly from BDT take off £185-195* from the price below)

Pal N64D modded console  £379

NTSC-J N64D modded console  £409

NTSC-U/C N64D modded console   £429

These prices reflect the price/difficulty in obtaining consoles from different regions here in the UK."

Ooh, I have to be on the lookout when they are available again. Only got NTSC-J games so this would be (expensive, but) great.

On 14/04/2021 at 19:37, SeanR said:

Yes it’s rubbish. It was amended for the Pal version which makes it brighter but then you would be playing the PAL version.

4 hours ago, bplus said:

Is that on your everdrive??

its an ED64 plus, which I think is a licenced “Chinese knock-off” so outclassed by the actual EverDrive 2.5 in terms of firmware/performance 

27 minutes ago, Oracle said:

So with this upgraded N64 and an everdrive - would I be able to play all region roms?

I own an NTSC-J machine, that has one mod which is a Tim Worthington RGB board. 

It has an Everdrive 3.0 and plays every rom. 

1 hour ago, StoooTube said:

So I’ve just ordered an NTSC-J machine. They do s-video as standard yeah?

I’ve only ever used composite with a PAL machine, so this’ll be a nice upgrade...

The thing is! S-video for these old consoles is absolutely an excellent video source. The connection might be a stupid design, but the video output is stellar and looks incredible on a CRT. RBG Scart is the best you can get for 15Khz content, but S-video isn't that far behind. 

It's more like - RF >>>>>Composite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>S-video>>Component>>RGB

Agreed on S-Video. The only time I’d used it before was on an NTSC GameCube that didn’t support RGB. 

Then I learned the PAL N64 supported it and NTSC games ran correctly on it so I tried it out and it looks great!

On a consumer Trinitron, I can barely see the difference even on my SNES.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The thing is! S-video for these old consoles is absolutely an excellent video source. The connection might be a stupid design, but the video output is stellar and looks incredible on a CRT. RBG Scart is the best you can get for 15Khz content, but S-video isn't that far behind. 

It's more like - RF >>>>>Composite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>S-video>>Component>>RGB

So RF is best? Cool.

;)

Cheers guys, it’s a Sony Trinitron from the mid-noughties and everything else looks great on it.

I tried svideo with a PAL N64 a few years ago and it didn’t work, since then I’ve been under the impression PAL units didn’t support it properly?

The original models and some coloured models support S-video, but the cables aren’t the same as NTSC cables. 

https://videogameperfection.com/products/pal-n64-svideo/

This cable is only compatible with the black (Charcoal) PAL-EUR N64 consoles. It is also not compatible with a PAL-FRA console.

The following console motherboards are compatible:

NUS-CPU-P-01 (Charcoal)
NUS-CPU-P-02 (Funtastic and Charcoal)

The following console motherboards are incompatible:

NUS-CPU-P-03 (Pikachu and Funtastic)
NUS-CPU-R-01 (FRA)

My PAL N64 is NUS-CPU-P-02 so have that connected to the Trinitron in my garden room and the US RGB modded model connected to an OSSC when in use. 

Honestly, it looks better on a CRT.