N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

On 27/04/2021 at 12:27, StoooTube said:

My svideo cable arrived, I didn’t spend a great deal but the reviews on Amazon suggested it was for NTSC systems.

However the image is very bright / contrasty. I spent about an hour tweaking my CRT’s settings to get a decent image, but I’m still not 100% happy. It’s been a long time, is this just the way the N64 was?! The composite image was similar, just much fuzzier with hideous dot-crawl. 

I'm no expert, so please correct me if anyone spots a glaring error. 

If I remember correctly, a resistor can be added to reduce the over-bright picture (info on avforums). I purchased a cable from a UK company and was happy with the picture, but for the life of me I can't find it on the usual retro gamer sites. Maybe there's no demand?

A quick google search found a site in Hong Kong: link  Honestly, I've never heard of them and hesitate to post a link, but it's the best I can suggest. What do people think? Is it safe to order from?

My favourite N64 game arrived today :wub: 

I also ordered some 75ohm capacitors (edit: I mean resistors) as apparently I need to add one to my svideo cable to fix the bright picture. Hopefully I’ll get to try that tomorrow.

4BCF4D86-5C4B-4070-AB9D-C30674BE2A07.jpeg

49 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

My favourite N64 game arrived today :wub: 

I also ordered some 75ohm capacitors as apparently I need to add one to my svideo cable to fix the bright picture. Hopefully I’ll get to try that tomorrow.

4BCF4D86-5C4B-4070-AB9D-C30674BE2A07.jpeg

Oh god now I want to buy a Jap one. I love pilotwings 64.

Performed the operation, it helped a little. Reckon it must be the cable, possibly channeling the composite signal through svideo. I’ll get a decent cable soon.

Anyway, I quite fancy getting some American games, titles that weren’t released in Japan. Besides eBay, anyone know where to look? I fancy trying the Cruisin’ series.

The one console I regret selling more than any is the n64. I was in pal land despite having a us SNES but I had an amazing collection of boxed games. This weekend I was sorting some bits out in my parents log and found my brothers old n64 up there. I just now need to “rescue” it from the dust. Sadly he does seem to have chucked the game boxes though. 

It’s not just the box art, I love the instruction manuals and cards that come with these games.
Mario Tennis is awesome, I can’t wait to play this after work. 11yo is gonna be so excited, we tried the WiiU version but it’s just not the same as the N64 one :wub:

3ABF066C-FE45-44BA-B435-A91A844B4607.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Getting platinum medals in Blast Corp is still one of my fondest gaming memories.

I wish I'd kept my original cart, I got them all, think it may hae been my first ever 100% completion, never to be done again, maybe I'll have another go some day.

17 hours ago, strider said:

I put together a list of the best N64 games for Games Radar. Pretty happy with the selection...

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/best-n64-games-all-time/2/#comment-jump

I think when it comes to the N64 it’s very easy to put together a top ten list as everyone will pick mario, Zelda, goldeneye etc. Like the N64 doesn’t have a lot of games but those that are great are universally some of the greatest of all time. What would be more interesting is an alternative list, like a best of the b tier games. So stuff like snowboard kids, body harvest and Iggys wrecking balls (ok maybe not that last one, it’s terrible by all accounts) get a mention.

Doom 64 is interesting to see popping up lately with a lot of praise. I remember at the time people thinking it was just an N64 version of doom 1 and 2. The dated graphics really didn’t help and most people put ignored it if they didn’t want more doom.

20 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

@MikeBeaver - My original PAL cart is long-gone too. One day...

It's on Rare Replay, and as such, Gamepass, so I could fire that up, it was the first and only game on RR I completed, but could go back for Plat's perhaps?

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

I think when it comes to the N64 it’s very easy to put together a top ten list as everyone will pick mario, Zelda, goldeneye etc. Like the N64 doesn’t have a lot of games but those that are great are universally some of the greatest of all time. What would be more interesting is an alternative list, like a best of the b tier games. So stuff like snowboard kids, body harvest and Iggys wrecking balls (ok maybe not that last one, it’s terrible by all accounts) get a mention.

Doom 64 is interesting to see popping up lately with a lot of praise. I remember at the time people thinking it was just an N64 version of doom 1 and 2. The dated graphics really didn’t help and most people put ignored it if they didn’t want more doom.

Yeah a list of best 25 3rd party published games is a challenge.

23 hours ago, strider said:

I put together a list of the best N64 games for Games Radar. Pretty happy with the selection...

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/best-n64-games-all-time/2/#comment-jump

Very balanced list and not just the standard Zelda and Mario. (I think the Smash Bros write up is wrong though?)

I've never really considered Doom as it seemed kind of 'last gen' when it came out and I seem to remember N64 magazine being less than taken with it (and that was my bible at the time.) Might have to give it a bash.

3 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Very balanced list and not just the standard Zelda and Mario. (I think the Smash Bros write up is wrong though?)

I've never really considered Doom as it seemed kind of 'last gen' when it came out and I seem to remember N64 magazine being less than taken with it (and that was my bible at the time.) Might have to give it a bash.

You're right, it's the wrong text. Will get that amended.