N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

2 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Can you mod a PAL N64 to output in RGB nowadays?

Oops no! It's S-Video to Scart convertor. Bought it all from this guy:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/n64/n64.htm

Seems to work a treat on my TV, which is an old 19" HDMI set and pumps out a pretty good picture on retro systems, been using it for close to a decade and never found a device that wouldn't work with it.  I was giving serious thought to picking an Ultra HDMI setup but from all the video I saw online beyond sharpening up the image in HD it doesn't really offer much benefit even if you start messing with deblur modes.  The graphics in general aren't exactly the best so I didn't think it was worth the £300 or so.

Loved the N64 back in the late 90s. It's the first console that I remember having where we properly played multiplayer. My mates would come round and we'd have ISS tournaments, Mario Kart tournaments, or just shoot the hell out of each other on Goldeneye. All sitting around a tiny telly, not that much bigger than the screen on the laptop I am typing on!

Pretty sure I've still got it somewhere, so will need to dig it out and give it a go to see if it is still working. Remind me, what was the connector for the TV on the N64?

30 minutes ago, Butters said:

Pretty sure I've still got it somewhere, so will need to dig it out and give it a go to see if it is still working. Remind me, what was the connector for the TV on the N64?

RF.

More goodies!  Rumble pak arrived as well so going to be a fun weekend.

lylat bano.jpg

On 13/08/2018 at 15:52, Dr Nookie said:

I always loved Tetrisphere - probably alone though.

Awesome techno music too.

I only got into Tetrisphere via emulation a few years ago and it's brilliant. So moreish, and like you say, great tunes.

Kirby 64 is another one I didn't come to until emulating it, and I couldn't put it down.

I read the problem with N64 games having crappy textures wasn't really to do with carts, since once you stripped out all the FMVs and audio files most PlayStation or Saturn games were actually tiny. The problem was a tiny texture cache and high latency bandwidth that crippled it. They sort of got to grips with it by the end of its life, which is how stuff like Conker's, Perfect Dark, Turok 3, the Star Wars games etc got made which were amazing for their time.

I loved the N64 in the 90s - we burned so much time on massive multilayer sessions - but I find the "look" can be a bit distracting in more realistic games going back. The Nintendo stuff is generally good though, being a but more abstract and cleaner. 

On 12/08/2018 at 23:04, Lorfarius said:

Just end up in a situation where you have piles upon piles of ROMs and never spend any time playing them. At least when you buy a game, especially when it's expensive you play it and enjoy it more!

Unfortunately I sort of agree with you! With a pile of roms I always end up feeling "but I could play that instead" . Opportunity cost I think it's called.

17 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

This reminds me. I need to sell the last of my N64 games. The boxed stuff. All are NTSC. Would anyone be interested? If so (provided I can find some sturdy boxes) I’ll put them in the sales forum before the joys of eBay.

Could be interested depending on what games. :)

18 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

This reminds me. I need to sell the last of my N64 games. The boxed stuff. All are NTSC. Would anyone be interested? If so (provided I can find some sturdy boxes) I’ll put them in the sales forum before the joys of eBay.

I'm after the rumble version of Wave Race if you have it. 

25 minutes ago, jamesy said:

What have you been playing mainly? You beat Lylat Wars about 4 times yet? What a game!

Nah. Decided not to bother with the broken Rumble Pak so I'll leave it. Been messing about with Diddy Kong Racing all day with the odd go on Goldeneye, think my controller is a bit duff as it just feels off. Might replace it soon with a Brawler64.

11 hours ago, jamesy said:

A loose control stick can make lots of games feel very sluggish. videogameperfection.com do replacement joysticks but I have never got one myself so couldn't say if they're up to scratch.

Might have to do that, seems it can be a bit hit n miss with the ones you pick up.

20 hours ago, jamesy said:

Here's my latest n64 purchase, the second goemon game. Supposed to be more like the Snes game than the first n64 game. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Y2LqGVl.jpg?1

Good stuff!

One I’ve never finished actually. It does have a slight need for JPN knowledge, although I’m sure you’ll be able to find everything you need in the net these days.

For example the game has a day/night cycle and I’m sure I can remember one bit where you have to meet a character down a well at night time.

N64 is my second favorite console after the Mega Drive. It represents a time to be truly mind blown and gaming (and gaming controllers) pushed forward as a whole. Of course, it helps that I hadn't touched a PSone at all that generation, but even still, the cream of the crop on N64 are ageless to me.

I'm close to owning all I want to re-own for the console, but the remaining few are expensive. Banjo-Tooie and Conker. Not fussed about boxes and manuals.

25 minutes ago, NEG said:

I'm close to owning all I want to re-own for the console, but the remaining few are expensive. Banjo-Tooie and Conker. Not fussed about boxes and manuals.

If you want them for cheap in cartridge format (just to play) then there's a fair few China copies doing the rounds for £20 or so on eBay.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Good stuff!

One I’ve never finished actually. It does have a slight need for JPN knowledge, although I’m sure you’ll be able to find everything you need in the net these days.

For example the game has a day/night cycle and I’m sure I can remember one bit where you have to meet a character down a well at night time.

I do have an everdrive 64 so can always play the english version. I know it seems a bit silly buying the game only to play it on an everdrive but the english version is expensive and just having a rom means I'll prob never play it.

Are there any others in the Goemon series you particularly recommend?