N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I know Zelda OoT is viewed as the best N64 game by many, and perhaps it was the best N64 game 20-odd years ago. Perhaps fans of it still play it and it takes them back to their teens the way Pilotwings, Mario 64 etc does with me. I didn’t play OoT at launch, and I only played it properly when the 3DS version came out. Even then, I found it clunky and dated, and completing it was a chore.

Do you guys still get a shot of nostalgia when you load it up? Do you really feel it’s still the best N64 game in 2021?

Honest question, I’m not trolling ;)

29 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I know Zelda OoT is viewed as the best N64 game by many, and perhaps it was the best N64 game 20-odd years ago. Perhaps fans of it still play it and it takes them back to their teens the way Pilotwings, Mario 64 etc does with me. I didn’t play OoT at launch, and I only played it properly when the 3DS version came out. Even then, I found it clunky and dated, and completing it was a chore.

Do you guys still get a shot of nostalgia when you load it up? Do you really feel it’s still the best N64 game in 2021?

I've never got past the first hour of it, playing it at the time and countless times since, just don't get the love for it.

Lttp, Link Between Worlds, Awakening and Wind Waker are all great, the rest ( bar BotW of course, that's fucking amazing ) all all a bit "meh" personally and I've never felt compelled to finish them, not that I don't own all the bloody things, multiple times and have stupid Ltd Ed consoles etc hanging around.

Basically, Toon Link is best link ;)

Oh Phamntom Hourglass is alright as well... so yeah, that might invalidate any remaining arguement I had really :lol:

I completed OoT recently on the 3DS, it's the first time out of a few attempts I've played through it again. 

Honesty, I think it's still great, but without the nostalgia factor, I can see how it could feel clunky. The overworld never really worked well in 3D Zeldas prior to BotW.

Back to the meat of OoT, the dungeons, they're pretty great, as are the bosses so yeah, I can see both sides.

I've been playing Majora's Mask on and off, again on 3DS, having bought but never even played it on N64 and yeah, it feels super clunky in places, but it's still a really enjoyable game.

All these games have their rough edges, and sometimes I'm more forgiving than others!

I've not revisited it properly....had a quick bash on the gamecube version and got the 3ds version for my boys later. The music instantly takes me back to the gaming perfection that was experiencing it first time around and I wouldnt want to spoil those memories by re-examining it with an old aged play through.

I first sat down to play OOT via the GC Zelda Collection, the 'freebie' thrown in with our GameCube & Game Boy Player bundle purchase.. and as much as I tried it didn't hold my attention. Being in competition with Super Monkey Ball probably didn't help much either.

Years later, hungry for new 3DS games after the post launch release drought I bought the remaster and put in around 30 hours before accepting that the kind of adventuring and puzzle solving this game was about wasn't going to work. But I did give it a seriously fair crack, getting a fair few dungeons in, enjoying odd bits, getting seriously frustrated with many others.. and using a guide a couple of times (nearly always the death knell for a game I'm forcing myself to play).

Weirdly enough though, I've recently wondered about giving the OOT 'Redux' hack a shot (the one which incorporates a laundry list of QOL features and improvements) and see how long I last. There's still obviously a pang of unfinished business with this game.

Not playing it on a cramp-inducing original 3DS is bound to be more pleasant, at least.

721CFC4C-21D7-4107-B2F2-5241C87B1DA6.jpeg.5d0ceed20332520b0bf0906f82c830fe.jpeg

Well I’ve still got the skills. Those last two 100 coin stars on tick Tock clock and rainbow road whilst not super difficult we’re frustrating. Does Mario 64 hold up? Mostly. It’s a little rougher around the edges than I remember and a few stars are beyond frustrating but it is still magical and has so many wonderful and inventive moments.

I won’t be doing the same for sunshine (those blue coins can do one) but I’ll try to get most the shines.

I really wish Mario 64 had gotten the remake treatment. It doesn’t need a full graphics overhaul, just a tidy up, make it so mario is less slidy and doesn’t bounce off objects quite so easily. Fix a few stars that don’t feel quite right. Maybe bring us the DS version of Mario 64 but without the desaturated look they went for.

Waverace 64 is incredible, the sequel wasn’t nearly as good and it took years for other games to feature water physics as impressive as Waverace 64.

The N64’s library was so different. We didn’t get another Pilotwings that was as chilled out and varied as 64. There hasn’t been a game similar to Blastcorps. 3D platformers haven’t moved on that much since Mario 64 / Banjo Kazooie - certainly outside of Nintendo anyway. 

I’m certainly interested in trying an OoT “redux” though...

5 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Waverace 64 is incredible, the sequel wasn’t nearly as good and it took years for other games to feature water physics as impressive as Waverace 64.

The N64’s library was so different. We didn’t get another Pilotwings that was as chilled out and varied as 64. There hasn’t been a game similar to Blastcorps. 3D platformers haven’t moved on that much since Mario 64 / Banjo Kazooie - certainly outside of Nintendo anyway. 

I’m certainly interested in trying an OoT “redux” though...

Is there anything else that comes close to wave race 64 water? Ok blue storm did but for some reason the game isn't as good. Wave race 64 is probably one of my fav games of all time. Recompleted it recently on retro arch at 1080p. Wish there was some sort hack expansion , because after expert mode there's nothing left to do. Maybe time trials

In terms of content it really feels like an arcade game, it's almost perfect now where I just want to blast through a GP and turn it off. The stunt mode was the time sink, trying to double somersault off every jump and reasonably sized wave took a while to get right.

11 hours ago, phresh said:

In terms of content it really feels like an arcade game, it's almost perfect now where I just want to blast through a GP and turn it off. The stunt mode was the time sink, trying to double somersault off every jump and reasonably sized wave took a while to get right.

Yep, and given it's a relatively common game and you tend to play retro games for short sessions (most people anyway) a game like Wave Race is about perfect in 2021.

F-Zero X is probably the most timeless N64 game. The retro graphical style looks no worse today than it did upon release and it's properly unique. (All praise you could apply to Wave Race too, but that doesn't have the X Cup.)

On 09/05/2021 at 11:49, StoooTube said:

Honestly, I felt that at the time. To me, it wasn't a patch on Link to the Past. There were bits I liked, but overall I found it a bit of a chore.

LTTP is definitely the best for me too. 

Im playing the original at the moment, never got it as a kid, looked too dated later on. 

It’s great, very obtuse without a guide but the DNA is there and the gameplay is really fun. 

I guess my point is it’s often nostalgia, but not always!

OoT feels dated in the same way Super Mario 64 and GoldenEye 007 are both objectively dated – because it’s been superseded by subsequent generations of games which owe so much to it. It was pretty incredible and innovative at the time, really. ;) 

(FWIW, enjoyed the 3DS remake of OoT, and it’s the game that really sold me on that system during its shaky first year. However, that was almost a whole decade ago now, and I’m aware that handheld games have come on enormously since then.)

Have to admit though, if I had a Nintendo 64 as part of my retro collection, I’d rather be playing F-Zero X, 1080 and Wave Race 64 rather than the more ‘involved’ games.

I’d agree with FPS games, but not Mario 64. Apart from the low resolution, there’s not many games that have improved upon it. We had Mario 64, Banjo and to an extent Donkey Kong 64 on N64. Apart from Mario Galaxy and Odysee, I can’t think of any other 3d platformers that are improved. 

Balin Wonderworld, the Banjo rip-off with the lizard, Super Lucky etc... couldn’t stand them.