IGNORED

N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

On 08/10/2021 at 19:21, bplus said:

Honestly get an NTSC one if you can, wave race especially suffered from squished screen and being slower. :)

Great fucking point. I totally forgot about European consoles being PAL. What a dick.

To think that I had two NTSC N64s that I gave away to friends back in 2010 (one with an RGB mod and expansion pak). What a dick. 

Anyone ever ordered replacement stick for the first party N64 controllers? I’ve got a bunch of controllers with sticks that are between poor and totally fucked. The only ones I’ve seen are on Ali Express, anyone tried them before I order a dozen of them?

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

Anyone ever ordered replacement stick for the first party N64 controllers? I’ve got a bunch of controllers with sticks that are between poor and totally fucked. The only ones I’ve seen are on Ali Express, anyone tried them before I order a dozen of them?

https://steelsticks64.com/

This is the way.

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

I have one arriving from Ali Express this week. I'll give you impressions when it arrives (I'm pretty fussy about this stuff).

Alternatively, original controllers with good sticks can still be found.

Your best bet is hunting eBay for a controller in one of the funtastic colours and make sure it's specifically described as having a very good condition tight stick. Will set you back £25-30.

10 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

Alternatively, original controllers with good sticks can still be found.

Your best bet is hunting eBay for a controller in one of the funtastic colours and make sure it's specifically described as having a very good condition tight stick. Will set you back £25-30.

I’ve already got a fair few good ones. I need to thin down my collection, my years of buying bundles of stuff on Yahoo Auctions has left me with literally dozens of Super Famicom and N64 controllers. I didn’t realise some N64 controllers could be so expensive now!

6 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I've heard of people using GameCube sticks as replacements. No idea if it's easy

On 18/10/2021 at 17:13, phillv85 said:

That would be brilliant, thanks.

Ok, so just tried it. First impressions aren't great. The stick feels too stiff, and its slightly harder to turn left than turn right. Also, it feels like there is grinding plastic when you use it. I am going to open it up and put some plastic lube in to see if that help. But honestly, I would just order one of ebay with a decent stick, like other people have mentioned, and this one cost me £10 and isn't great.

To be fair, at least the the throw is correct, which is more than I can say for most of the 3rd party sticks available, which make Goldeneye almost impossible to play.

3 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Ok, so just tried it. First impressions aren't great. The stick feels too stiff, and its slightly harder to turn left than turn right. Also, it feels like there is grinding plastic when you use it. I am going to open it up and put some plastic lube in to see if that help. But honestly, I would just order one of ebay with a decent stick, like other people have mentioned, and this one cost me £10 and isn't great.

To be fair, at least the the throw is correct, which is more than I can say for most of the 3rd party sticks available, which make Goldeneye almost impossible to play.

Thanks for the response, this is disappointing. I'm not short of controllers, got a few that are in good condition, I was just hoping to put decent new sticks in a load of knackered ones and sell them on.

I'll give it a miss for now then, they can go back up in the loft.

Well, if the only reason you are asking is to sell them on, you could just sell them with loose sticks and loose about £10-£15 on the price?

To be honest, opening them up and putting lube on them did help quite a bit.

3 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Well, if the only reason you are asking is to sell them on, you could just sell them with loose sticks and loose about £10-£15 on the price?

To be honest, opening them up and putting lube on them did help quite a bit.

I could do, some of them are a bit loose and grindy, others are so broken I have no idea how they got that way. I might open the worst offenders up and see what I can do.

On 18/10/2021 at 10:10, Fallows said:

To think that I had two NTSC N64s that I gave away to friends back in 2010 (one with an RGB mod and expansion pak). What a dick. 

My mate says I can have one back. :omg:

Now just cables to find. I actually don't mind paying over the odds for boxed controllers on Ebay, as I'd prefer nice new ones.

On 21/10/2021 at 01:10, Fallows said:

There’s a sealed Perfect Dark in the retro shop here going for €60…

Get yourself an Everdrive! It's got close to 100% compatibility, and there's only around 350 N64 games in total

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Get yourself an Everdrive! It's got close to 100% compatibility, and there's only around 350 N64 games in total

Yeah, of course. That goes without saying. It's the next thing I'm buying.

I just felt compelled to buy a sealed copy of my favourite game of all time. I don't need it, I only wanted it. I left it there anyway.

The 350 game count is a touch conservative though.

Add in improvement hacks, translations, region-patched titles, Aleck64 arcade conversions, prototypes, homebrew, tools, GB/GBC/NES romsets and whatever else you might find interesting and all of a sudden that 4-8GB card needs to be a 16GB one at least.

edit - how could I have forgotten: Nintendo 64DD cartridge conversions too. Some of these are absolutely fascinating. F-Zero X: Expansion Kit AKA F-Zero X Complete is the definitive game in the series for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Would I be missing out choosing the Everdrive 64 X5 over the X7? To be honest I do like the frosted black shell colour, but not so sure it's worth nearly twice as much. That, and the lack of reset/save thing.

Isn't the X7 just for devs?

8 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Would I be missing out choosing the Everdrive 64 X5 over the X7? To be honest I do like the frosted black shell colour, but not so sure it's worth nearly twice as much. That, and the lack of reset/save thing.

Isn't the X7 just for devs?

I've got a ed 2.53 official that I could be forced to move along if you slide money towards me 😛

I’ve got an x5 too, the save reset thing isn’t a big deal at all once you get used to it and if you have a Tim Worthington RGB modded console you do the pad reset out of habit anyway

This reminds me that I have an original PAL N64 everdrive I must put up in the trading folder

• 3 weeks later...