IGNORED

N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

His SNES album was pretty slick, as was "Technoptimistic" on the Mega Drive. Remute is super talented and prolific, this N64 album is pretty much guaranteed to slap.

As far as a great sounding N64 game - I don't think I've heard anything that touches Goemon's Great Adventure. It's been a while but it's not just really enjoying some of those tunes - they sound remarkably uncompressed for an N64 game, bright and rich (not unlike some of the magic Hudson conjured up for the SNES Bomberman games).

I need to pick both the (western released) Goemon games up again in due time. Terrible stain to have games of that caliber unplayed properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing ridge Racer 64 and the music is excellent, pretty certain it must be playing off the hardware rather than an MP3 if that makes sense. Wipeout 64 which does use mp3 really sounds quite crap, especially if you play it straight after playing wipeout 2097.

Anyway back rr64, it's really good. In some ways it's better than type 4. For a start there's more than one other car on the screen at a time. (Which I think type 4 didn't do)

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Been playing ridge Racer 64 and the music is excellent, pretty certain it must be playing off the hardware rather than an MP3 if that makes sense. Wipeout 64 which does use mp3 really sounds quite crap, especially if you play it straight after playing wipeout 2097.

Anyway back rr64, it's really good. In some ways it's better than type 4. For a start there's more than one other car on the screen at a time. (Which I think type 4 didn't do)

I played a lot of this in lockdown and really enjoyed it. I’ve unlocked the mirror tracks but find the AI a little too aggressive.

15 hours ago, bplus said:

There were some games using MP3 towards the end of the N64 if my memory is right.

23 hours ago, strider said:

I played a lot of this in lockdown and really enjoyed it. I’ve unlocked the mirror tracks but find the AI a little too aggressive.

Yes I noticed the ai too, seems to slam into the back of me a lot.

This might be a question for the ossc thread, anyway I've got an NTSC Tim Worthington mod RGB N64, packapunch RGB cable and an ossc. On my 1080p Samsung the picture seems to be a bit shaky sort of like it's vibrating a little bit. Anyone else had this? I don't have another telly to try it on.

Playing ridge Racer 64 on it gave me a headache. Ended up playing it on retro arch instead.

It's not completely awful, but surprisingly fuzzy too, but I have heard that's normal. My snes through the same cable looks amazing.

Any ideas?

12 hours ago, bplus said:

This might be a question for the ossc thread, anyway I've got an NTSC Tim Worthington mod RGB N64, packapunch RGB cable and an ossc. On my 1080p Samsung the picture seems to be a bit shaky sort of like it's vibrating a little bit. Anyone else had this? I don't have another telly to try it on.

Playing ridge Racer 64 on it gave me a headache. Ended up playing it on retro arch instead.

It's not completely awful, but surprisingly fuzzy too, but I have heard that's normal. My snes through the same cable looks amazing.

Any ideas?

The deblur does have to be toggled, so you might need to flick the switch (or do the button combo on newer mods) to see if that makes a difference. I don't think it's ever razor sharp though, just less fuzzy.

Vibrating image all I can think is it's outputting an interlaced signal. Check the OSSC's input & output settings. I don't actually know what needs to be changed as I've not had an OSSC in a while.

6 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Bob deinterlacing?

That's the one. Ol' flickery Bob.

I think you can avoid the flickering by running it as a passthrough signal, but that both might not work, and might add lag. Oh, and it might look worse (combing artefacts etc) But don't quote me on that.

6 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

The deblur does have to be toggled, so you might need to flick the switch (or do the button combo on newer mods) to see if that makes a difference. I don't think it's ever razor sharp though, just less fuzzy.

Vibrating image all I can think is it's outputting an interlaced signal. Check the OSSC's input & output settings. I don't actually know what needs to be changed as I've not had an OSSC in a while.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Unless the TW RGB mod is doing something screwy, most games on the N64 shouldn't output a 480i image to require bob deinterlacing.

Thanks, what do they normally output?

Yeah, I think its either a sync problem, or a sampling phase issue. Do you have a N64 everdrive cart? If so, download the 240p test suit for the N64 and then use that to configure the correct sampling phase for your console. (The N64 test suite isn't officially available, but I have a dev build, if you want it). Also, I would recommend downloading and using the OSSC Optimal Timing Profiles)

Check this video out:

15 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah, I think its either a sync problem, or a sampling phase issue. Do you have a N64 everdrive cart? If so, download the 240p test suit for the N64 and then use that to configure the correct sampling phase for your console. (The N64 test suite isn't officially available, but I have a dev build, if you want it). Also, I would recommend downloading and using the OSSC Optimal Timing Profiles)

Check this video out:

Great, thanks yes, I've got an everdrive. I'll try that.

Right, I've noticed it's the everdrive menu that outputs interlaced and that's what vibrates.

I'm trying deblur start + r + right c. It doesn't seem to have an effect. I've definitely got Tim Worthington installed and my instructions are from the guy who installed it , his website page: https://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/product-page/n64rgb-kit-with-deblur-feature-1

I've got the test suite and I'll go through that

Weird how that is interlaced. My everdrive menu comes through with a progressive signal.

EDIT: Also, the de-blur effect is pretty subtle. Make sure you are looking at something static, like a menu, to see the changes.

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

Weird how that is interlaced. My everdrive menu comes through with a progressive signal.

EDIT: Also, the de-blur effect is pretty subtle. Make sure you are looking at something static, like a menu, to see the changes.

Hrm, maybe I'm using older everdrive software. I'll try the deblur again...

I don't know about the ED64 X5 but the older version known as ED64 2.5 supports two kinds of official firmware; the 2.xx series and the rewritten 3.xx series (which the X7 also runs). The firmwares handle a few things differently between eachother, with the earlier 2.xx series providing an option to let you switch between 240p and 480i menu display modes, a feature removed from the newer 3.xx series.

So I got a Retro-Bit tribute wireless controller this weekend. I’ve not gone the RGB route so being able to sit far enough away to enjoy the AV glory is a much better experience. 

It’s taking a bit of getting used to though. 

Im still on original carts but am seriously considering and EverDrive for my N64. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in here. Got a PAL machine back in '97 and played it a fair bit. I still have that old console with the original controller - all working well but I've since bought a JP model modded for RGB SCART for play on my 25" 4:3 CRT.  Looks pretty damn good. Plays US games too.

I've been selling my boxed PAL games and getting nice CIB JP versions of my favourites. Jp N64 boxart is the pinnacle. I financed a CIB copy of the lovely Bangai O from PAL game sales. I think I might actually prefer it to the Dreamcast version. The rules are different, but it's a close call.

Favourite game for the console will always be F-Zero X though. One of the few games that uses the rumble really well.

I still have a few PAL games left.

Mario 64 I have the JP version and the rumble versions but I like to keep it for nostalgia as I got it with the original console.

Bust-A-Move 2 - because the wife and I played 2P time trial mode to death. I have the US version now but I keep the PAL cart because the best times don't transfer to the US game off the controller pak.

Mystical Ninja 2 - because it's worth a lot but I really should flog it even though I love it, to finance some other stuff.

Pokemon Puzzle League - keeper until I can get a US CIB boxed one which is unlikely

The one game I'd really like to get is Dr. Mario 64 - just because. A US exclusive and a late release and costs a packet. But maybe if I sell that Mystical Ninja.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Is there a good plug and play upscale converter thingy for using your N64 with modern TV’s? 

Not for super low prices, that will get you junk. You have to pay a little to get good results with no lag. 

https://www.retrotink.com/ and an S-video cable will yield excellent results. 

https://videogameperfection.com/products/retrotink-2x-mini/

Thanks for the suggestion Kevvy. Asking for a collegue who has one and quite a few cartridges - will forward the recommendation but I don't think his catalogue is big enough that he wants to spend this amount.