IGNORED

N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, strider said:

Finally managed to find Mario Tennis and Robotron 64 (both US NTSC). Been after these since I first started my collection. Now to play the waiting game.

The waiting game sucks. Let’s play Hungry Hungry Hippos instead.

• 1 month later...

If you've got a Wii U I would suggest looking at grabbing the few N64 games available via the Virtual Console, as the quality is just far better than the actual hardware. Quite a few games there that are a faction of their retail price these days. Just a shame there aren't that many on the service, but Kirby 3, Paper Mario & Harvest Moon are some of them worthing picking up. Been doing some Twitch streams of all the WiiU VC stuff and I find it a great way to play N64 games.

3 hours ago, Riven said:

If you've got a Wii U I would suggest looking at grabbing the few N64 games available via the Virtual Console, as the quality is just far better than the actual hardware. Quite a few games there that are a faction of their retail price these days. Just a shame there aren't that many on the service, but Kirby 3, Paper Mario & Harvest Moon are some of them worthing picking up. Been doing some Twitch streams of all the WiiU VC stuff and I find it a great way to play N64 games.

Nintendo is pulling them soon isn't it?

On 16/05/2022 at 18:24, Lorfarius said:

Nintendo is pulling them soon isn't it?

Yes, August the 29th is the last day you can add funds to your account for 3DS & Wii U eshop at which point you can only spend what's left in your account, until the shut down early next year.

I should also note that the Wii U only allows you to download 300 games to the console as well, won't allow any more, same with the 3DS.

• 2 weeks later...

After a moment of madness I bought a boxed copy of Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine and I've just started playing it.

Only a few levels in but it's very impressive so far. Huge in scope, interesting environments and the combat isn't terrible.

It feels like a proper Tomb Raider on the system which I didn't think was actually possible. Very good so far, but obviously it's never going to be worth the insane amount of money it cost me. I am enjoying it, though.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

It’s such a strange release, why put all that time and effort in to make it an ntsc exclusive that could only be rented from blockbuster.

Agreed, it's baffling. I think I follow the director on Facebook so I may ask him about it. Must have been frustrating to not see it reach the audience it deserved.

I'd been curious about Indiana Jones out for a while so just checked it out. First impressions were good (slick 60fps menus, good quality music).

Died a couple of times by throwing myself off ledges, appreciated infinite ammo for the snakes, got to the end of the first chunk ok once I realised Indiana can jump forward a hell of a distance.

I know I shouldn't take the plot / script too seriously but the messaging about the CIA and a 'godless communist' who I assume will be an antagonist kinda made me cringe. I don't recall Indy having much in the way of political beliefs in the movies so I did find this a bit jarring.

Good experience though. I'll come back to it soon.

Playing more Indy and I've been really enjoying it. It's the glitchiest N64 game I've ever played and the four hard crashes I've had made me think I had a dodgy cart but I've opened it up and it's real.

The scope of the game is insane for an N64 release and it looks amazing using the high-res texture mode. One of the few games where there's a genuine difference between the two modes. I'm in a pyramid at the moment trying to find various relics. I have a fish relic, but need a monkey and jaguar one to complete it.

Cutscenes seem good, story is largely good and it's just a lot of fun. I'm going to dig through my N64 mags and see if I have a review of it.

8 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I had that one. What does it go for these days?

I doubt I'd ever play the N64 version again after the 3DS port, but congrats anyway.

PAL Copies can hit £100 complete but I've seen the US one go for as much as £400 in the past, which is crazy when you consider it's only about £120 direct from the US (with a little bit extra for postage of course).

3 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

None of the n64 carts had enhancement chips did they?

A handful at most, and they were things like the real-time clock chip for Animal Crossing. No SA1s or SuperFXs or whatever.

The RAM expansion helped plug the gap, I think.

I watched a video last night that basically said the expansion pak is a load of shit but I'm not sure if that's necessarily correct. It doesn't wreck the framerate on every game for example.

31 minutes ago, strider said:

I watched a video last night that basically said the expansion pak is a load of shit but I'm not sure if that's necessarily correct. It doesn't wreck the framerate on every game for example.

I thought I read/saw somewhere that the expansion pak was only created because Donkey Kong had a crash in it and the devs couldn’t figure out our to fix it, the only thing they knew was that it didn’t happen on dev kits. So to get the game out for the holiday season they created the premise ‘expansion pak’ to make games better but it was essentially just to fix a memory leak.

7 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I thought I read/saw somewhere that the expansion pak was only created because Donkey Kong had a crash in it and the devs couldn’t figure out our to fix it, the only thing they knew was that it didn’t happen on dev kits. So to get the game out for the holiday season they created the premise ‘expansion pak’ to make games better but it was essentially just to fix a memory leak.

so what was the expansion pak port to be used for, other than the jumper pak?

unless you’re suggesting that a bug in unreleased software decided the console spec?

21 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Sorta true, the pack was already out before the game but solved the issue. The game probably has a memory leak so would fail soak tests but the expansion pack probably allowed to brute force it’s way through them with the bug, plus they could charge more and get more adoption so an easy win maybe. It was made for the 64dd and it was only after I think an acclaim dev (or top gear game?) bugged Nintendo around 97 or 98 to release the pack cos they knew it could make their game look better.

31 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I'm sure we mentioned it in a recent feature. Since then I've seen someone else at Rare suggest it's not true (was in the same video I watched last night).

I've long wondered why developers favoured utilising 480i / Hi-Res mode with the expansion pack rather than, say using the extra memory to enable smoother / more stable frame rates (if that was ever possible) - because I've never played a compatible game which is improved with it.

If I was looking to get into the N64 today, from scratch.. the only reason I'd shell out for an expansion pack would be to run the better Mario 64 hacks or 64DD conversions. Otherwise I'd consider it a completely superfluous collectable.

Indiana Jones and the Infuriating Mechanics, more like.

Not sure if it's from playing on an emulator and not using the proper pad, but it's kicking my arse. Camera that won't line up. No help on jumps despite everything being 90 degrees. One shot kills! Bloody hell. 

Now I can't swim in the underwater tunnel without the collision detection just telling me no everywhere.

2 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Indiana Jones and the Infuriating Mechanics, more like.

Not sure if it's from playing on an emulator and not using the proper pad, but it's kicking my arse. Camera that won't line up. No help on jumps despite everything being 90 degrees. One shot kills! Bloody hell. 

Now I can't swim in the underwater tunnel without the collision detection just telling me no everywhere.

I reckon it's your pad mate. I've having issues as it is a little mechanically clunky, but you've got three weapons mapped to the 3 c buttons, you can look around with the top 3 button and recenter the camera with the Z trigger. You can also hold the Z trigger down to do little hop jumps instead. It's far from a perfect game with its controls, but they were significantly updated over the PC original and it sounds like you're not benefitting from that.

6 minutes ago, strider said:

I reckon it's your pad mate. I've having issues as it is a little mechanically clunky, but you've got three weapons mapped to the 3 c buttons, you can look around with the top 3 button and recenter the camera with the Z trigger. You can also hold the Z trigger down to do little hop jumps instead. It's far from a perfect game with its controls, but they were significantly updated over the PC original and it sounds like you're not benefitting from that.

I can get it lined up with that work. Maybe it's my broken memory, but I remember Tomb Raider fudging some stuff thanks to the blocky geometry so it doesn't need to be as spot on. 

Got through the underwater bit. Just started working this morning, when before he was getting stuck at any crossroads. Weird. 

Still suck at the shooty bits. 

13 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I can get it lined up with that work. Maybe it's my broken memory, but I remember Tomb Raider fudging some stuff thanks to the blocky geometry so it doesn't need to be as spot on. 

Got through the underwater bit. Just started working this morning, when before he was getting stuck at any crossroads. Weird. 

Still suck at the shooty bits. 

I find the shooty bits fine as it auto locks on. I've only had a few jumps that have been tricky to navigate. Stick with it if you can, I'm enjoying it the mo I play it. You can at least console yourself with the fact you didn't just pay £180 for it like I did 🤦‍♂️