Jump to content

N64 Appreciation Thread


Lorfarius
 Share

Recommended Posts

Completed the boat stage but had to restart it because I experienced a hard crash in the same place that stopped me from finishing the stage. If I hadn't of opened up the cart to check the board I'd swear this was a dodgy copy. Never experienced a game this buggy on N64. I wonder if that's why it went to blockbuster only?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, strider said:

Completed the boat stage but had to restart it because I experienced a hard crash in the same place that stopped me from finishing the stage. If I hadn't of opened up the cart to check the board I'd swear this was a dodgy copy. Never experienced a game this buggy on N64. I wonder if that's why it went to blockbuster only?


does the bug occur in a place you’d only get to after a couple of days play?:sherlock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/05/2022 at 03:07, Riven said:

I should also note that the Wii U only allows you to download 300 games to the console as well, won't allow any more, same with the 3DS.

 

Does this also apply if you softmod them? I've been planning on doing them for ages but haven't gotten round to it, I want to be able to save all my games digitally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SeanR said:


does the bug occur in a place you’d only get to after a couple of days play?:sherlock:

I don’t think it was sold knowing it was bugged. It’s just a very glitchy game. It saves after every completed stage so it was just a case of restarting. The next level is apparently massive, so I hope that one’s a little more robust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SMD said:

 

Does this also apply if you softmod them? I've been planning on doing them for ages but haven't gotten round to it, I want to be able to save all my games digitally.

It does, it’s a hard limit. For the 3DS I think it can have more but the icons won’t be visible to actually use them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Completed Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine. It crashed on the last level a couple of times but I found it to be highly impressive at times, with a scale you just don't see in N64 games. I absolutely wasn't worth £180 but I have had a lot of fun (and frustration) with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, strider said:

Completed Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine. It crashed on the last level a couple of times but I found it to be highly impressive at times, with a scale you just don't see in N64 games. I absolutely wasn't worth £180 but I have had a lot of fun (and frustration) with it.

I guess paying real money for games brings back to motivation to play them? I've everdrives for nes, snes, megadrive and N64, I don't really play them much, drowning in choice!

You planning on selling Indiana Jones cart on eBay now you've completed it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bplus said:

I guess paying real money for games brings back to motivation to play them? I've everdrives for nes, snes, megadrive and N64, I don't really play them much, drowning in choice!

You planning on selling Indiana Jones cart on eBay now you've completed it?

I'll probably keep it as I love the N64 and I've always wanted to own it. Your mention about Everdrives is one of the reasons why I don't think piracy ever impacted sales in the way many suggested. If something's taken you no effort or cost to obtain odds are you're not going to play it. 
I use my Everdrive on N64 as a buyer's guide. Playing the first level of Indy made me know I wanted to take a punt on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quest said:

 

People keep saying this but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

That’s fair enough. I also find I need a physical reminder, so I am more likely to play an N64 because I can see them all on my shelf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 13/10/2021 at 22:53, jamesy said:

I don't know about the correct pins or anything like that. But I have an rgb modded 64 with literally just wires. Needs a specific cable to work properly. Probably has resistors or something like that in the scart cable.

 

On 17/10/2021 at 18:26, bplus said:

I did that mod years ago, I can barely hold a soldering iron it was either 3 or six wires can't remember. I undid it because it was a  bit dark. Wish I d left it in place until I tried it with a ossc


I haven’t been near my NTSC-J N64 for a long time, but today I thought I’d find out once and for all why my N64’s picture was so bright. 
I found that on the VDC chip, the previous owner had soldered a bridge between pins 22 and 23, which it turns out boosts the luminance (rather than installing an RGB amplifier) which allows RGB output. So that’s why my svideo picture was so insanely bright.

It took a wee while to scrape away the solder, but I now have a decent picture (for N64) on my CRT!


Thought I’d post my findings here in case anyone ends up in the same boat one day. When you search for “bright svideo picture N64” on Google, all the results are for PAL systems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

The stick itself is a single unit with a connector. It’s really simple to swap it out as a unit. 
 

even opening it up it’s not too bad. A couple of screws/clips and you’re in. 

Great! Can you recall what replacement stick you bought? Was it as good as an official stick?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Afternoon Delight said:

You can take the existing stick apart, clean out the gears, apply silicone grease, and gently stretch out the spring. Depending on the condition you can get a usable stick back for a total investment of three quid for the silicone grease. 

That's interesting !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.