N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

19 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Just picked up a jpn n64 with the below mod;

Tim Worthington RGB Mod Board /Flashed with latest Borti4938 Switchless Firmware:

Screenshots look brilliant. Wonder if the mod would make the n64 look much better on a consumer set too. I've been considering buying one from oldskoolconsoles.com 

I was going to post how good Beetle Adventure Racing is, but instead of doing the "modern retro" and watching a YouTube video of it, I dug out the old N64 and fired it up. 

It's still a great game, but as I played more and more games on the N64 I realised that the N64 doesn't hold up that well. And it's not because of the graphics (which can be a bit vaseline smooth at times), but because most of the good games on the N64 have simply been bettered by later games.

Take Beetle Adventure Racing, at the time it was great in that you could really explore the tracks due to the amount of hidden bits. But playing it I thought to myself "I'd be just as well playing Excite Truck on the Wii, because it's a similar type of game and it's got none of the problems that the early 3D games had). Then I played a few other games and the same thing popped into my head - "Why play Super Mario 64 when I can play Super Mario Odyssey, which is a million times more fun to play?", "why play Ocarina of Time when I can play Breath of the Wild?", "why play Mario Golf/Tennis when I can play the superior Gamecube versions?" even something like Paper Mario you could say is better on the Gamecube, due to the higher resolution graphics.

Now if you've got nostalgia about the games, then it's fun to go back down memory lane, but if you're coming to them with no nostalgia at all - I just can't help but think that most of those games are going to be disappointing.

However, in saying that, where I think the N64 works well is with the type of games genres or series that have died off a bit. 

Robotron 64, where Midway did a bit of a "Tempest 2000" with Robotron. It's a quick blast and quite fun to play.

Some others that hold up quite well on the N64 (if you can forgive them for the dated graphics).

Although with Gauntlet, you could say the Dreamcast version would be the better one to play.

There's also some good exclusive N64 versions, meaning the only way you could play them would be on the N64

(Although those two games suffered from the biggest bugbear I have of the N64's graphics, they're too bloody dark on modern TVs!) . Doom 64 is a well known exclusive version, but Quake II was pretty good and doesn't seem that well known.

There's also games like San Fran Rush 2049 and Hyrdro Thunder, but to be honest you're better off with Midway Treasures Vol 3 to play those.

3 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

"Why play Super Mario 64 when I can play Super Mario Odyssey, which is a million times more fun to play?", "why play Ocarina of Time when I can play Breath of the Wild?", "why play Mario Golf/Tennis when I can play the superior Gamecube versions?" even something like Paper Mario you could say is better on the Gamecube, due to the higher resolution graphics.

Great post, will have to give robotron 64 a blast in the next week or so.

While I can see what you’re saying for a lot of n64 games I think there’s enough different about Mario 64/OOT/Paper Mario to make them worth playing today. The n64 is also home to a few games that are different enough to their sequels to keep them relevant, f-zero X for example. For the likes of wave race, pilotwings, 1080 and starfox I’d say the best versions are still the n64 games.

On 11/08/2018 at 07:13, nakamura said:

Nah, it's slow. Very very slow and very very dull. It simply isn't the game they made. The proper version is on another level. 

You're right in hindsight, but it didn't stop me loving it at the time and obsessing over it to the point of beating all of the staff ghosts. 

On 25/08/2018 at 18:16, jamesy said:

Screenshots look brilliant. Wonder if the mod would make the n64 look much better on a consumer set too. I've been considering buying one from oldskoolconsoles.com 

I got my RGB modded AV Famicom from oldskoolconsoles. I recommend their service, it was all great tbh. 

MY Jap N64 is RGB modded with an added RGB amp, but I'd love to get this and turn off that dreaded hardware anti-aliasing. That's the main culprit for all the blurring. 

It finally arrived! Since ordering I really didn't play any games as I thought this was going to be better to use and... my god it is. Feels fantastic and really adds a whole new level to Goldeneye. I had no idea just how broken my last stick was but this pad feels amazing, proper accurate!  Good weight to it.  Did get stung by customs but only for a £14 charge:

IMG_20180907_173241908.jpgIMG_20180907_173401451.jpg

24 minutes ago, jamesy said:

What are the Z buttons like to press? Are they proper triggers? Do they have a clicky feeling?

They feel great almost like PS2 triggers but no clicking unless you press it all the way in. Even then its very light sounding

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few weeks of play with the Brawler pad and... I love it. I've been soaring the skies in Mario and shooting like a loon with pin point accuracy in Goldeneye. Nothing gets in my way in FZero anymore, it's just on a whole other level the way it works.  I don't think I'll ever go back to the standard controller again!

5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

So after a few weeks of play with the Brawler pad and... I love it. I've been soaring the skies in Mario and shooting like a loon with pin point accuracy in Goldeneye. Nothing gets in my way in FZero anymore, it's just on a whole other level the way it works.  I don't think I'll ever go back to the standard controller again!

The one thing that puts me off from 3rd party N64 pads is the difficulty they have in exactly replicating the thumbstick travel and voltage values of the original controller (perhaps best illustrated by using a controller test program on a flashcart but often tested by observing how Mario handles his running around and acceleration to running speed in Mario 64). Traditionally they've all failed (apart from maybe the pricey Hori mini pad) so it's good to read that the 2nd revision Brawler is performing so well.

7 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

The one thing that puts me off from 3rd party N64 pads is the difficulty they have in exactly replicating the thumbstick travel and voltage values of the original controller (perhaps best illustrated by using a controller test program on a flashcart but often tested by observing how Mario handles his running around and acceleration to running speed in Mario 64). Traditionally they've all failed (apart from maybe the pricey Hori mini pad) so it's good to read that the 2nd revision Brawler is performing so well.

I've seen a few YT vids showing that test off on the original pads as well. Because of the poor construction/plastic they have a tendency to travel a lot more over time but the Brawler just feels great.  Shame I need the original for things like Pokemon otherwise it'd be shoved in a drawer :lol:

On 07/09/2018 at 18:38, Lorfarius said:

Just to add they fixed the issue with the L and R being linked as a single button, there's no movement on the other when you press. And the L button doesn't touch the analogue stick when its pressed down.

Im still waiting for my replacement parts...

On 20/08/2018 at 13:56, Lorfarius said:

I bought a cheap scart to HDMI adaptor on eBay a few months back and forgot all about it, was only a fiver but improves the overall look pretty well! Much sharper than it was before and there's def more colour, tried taking a picture (the fuzz is from the camera not the TV):

0.jpg

Tried it out with Diddy in case there was any lag but seems to run okay or at least I didn't notice any during game play.

Hi, Have you got a link to the adapter you bought? Really want one!

12 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

It was just some random one that cost about £8.  Nothing special at the time.

This? Or similar?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-To-Scart-Converter-Composite-Video-Scaler-Audio-Adapter-DVD-PS3-LED-TV-UK/323328661875?epid=21021696773&hash=item4b47e3d973:g:VRcAAOSwYtla3xab

Edit: argh no, that converts other way round!

16 minutes ago, bplus said:

That's the one!!!  Just checked my seller but he doesn't have anymore but it was in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

64 PAL titles now! Still missing some must haves like all the Mario parties, smash bros and any wrestling title reviewers tended to praise back then. Bloody hell at the number of racers this system got, eh?

The only ones I'm missing that I had as a teen originally are going to be painful/will have to be bought slowly. Paper Mario, Banjo-Tooie, Pokemon Puzzle League, Kirby, Conker.

Looking forward to Pokemon Snap when it arrives, never played it originally.