N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

If I ever get an NTSC Nintendo 64 and (“plenty of legitimate games on cartridge” - Ed), I’d love to give the car-based racers a go. Played Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero X and various non-car ‘racers’ (Wave Race, 1080, etc), but none of the more realistic racers. There’s a surprising amount of them, in retrospect, and at least some of them are going to be good...

To be honest most of them fall short. 

World Driver Championship is excellent, certainly the best serious racer on the system but it's not for everyone. 

GT64 has awful visuals that ruin sole nice content. 

Top Gear Rally is tons of fun but it's a bit broken at times too. Definitely worth playing though. 

TG Overdrive is crap.

Beetle is ok. 

F1WGP is average. 

F1 Pole Position is not good. 

San Francisco Rush is terrible, but brilliant and terrible. It's a lot of fun if you can handle the visuals today.

I haven't played everything but have played most. 

I forget which racing game it is but one of them basically has a girl repeatedly going 'oohh!' 'aahhh!' for the soundtrack. I couldn't put on the volume much when testing it last year. :unsure:

Didn't seem great either, but amusing novelty value I suppose.

5 hours ago, nakamura said:

To be honest most of them fall short. 

World Driver Championship is excellent, certainly the best serious racer on the system but it's not for everyone. 

GT64 has awful visuals that ruin sole nice content. 

Top Gear Rally is tons of fun but it's a bit broken at times too. Definitely worth playing though. 

TG Overdrive is crap.

Beetle is ok. 

F1WGP is average. 

F1 Pole Position is not good. 

San Francisco Rush is terrible, but brilliant and terrible. It's a lot of fun if you can handle the visuals today.

I haven't played everything but have played most. 

That’s a comprehensive roundup, thanks!

The other N64 car games I remember are Choro-Q (awful beyond belief), and Ridge Racer 64 (haven’t played it, looks rather like a remake of RR Revolution with muddy graphics.)

Was trying to think of another arcade-derived racing game for the N64, one all the magazines previewed, turned out it was called Rev Limit but apparently it wasn’t released.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=816

• 4 weeks later...

My friend Damocles was over, diddy is his fave game of all time) so we played some 2p diddy kong racing.

I'm currently on 37 balloons in adventure one...

I did beat this back in the day and played it countless hours, it's was a fave for me too...growing up.

Still holds up pretty well.

I'm still a few posters short...just wanted to flash them :)

IMG_20181125_183758.jpg

IMG_20181125_183956.jpg

IMG_20181125_183823.jpg

IMG_20181125_183857.jpg

IMG_20181125_183921.jpg

IMG_20181124_194807.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping Goemon's great adventure arrives soon (ntsc and shipped from America)

I will probably make this my last n64 game purchase and look into getting an everdrive in the new year.

I did purchase this with a manual...there is someone who sells repro n64 cases on eBay, from what I can tell from the listing, they're plastic and can't be confused as an original (which I personally prefer)

On adventure 2 with diddy kong...about 15 balloons in and 47 collected on the first adventure.

I have found the bosses a lot easier this time around...I'm sure I was a late teen or in my early 20's when I originally played this...all them years ago, and struggled with the boss races.

On 25/11/2018 at 18:45, RastanSaga said:

My friend Damocles was over, diddy is his fave game of all time) so we played some 2p diddy kong racing.

I'm currently on 37 balloons in adventure one...

I did beat this back in the day and played it countless hours, it's was a fave for me too...growing up.

Still holds up pretty well.

I'm still a few posters short...just wanted to flash them :)

60Hz versions and a CRT! 

Yes! This is the way you do it! 

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:18, RastanSaga said:

I'm hoping Goemon's great adventure arrives soon (ntsc and shipped from America)

I will probably make this my last n64 game purchase and look into getting an everdrive in the new year.

I did purchase this with a manual...there is someone who sells repro n64 cases on eBay, from what I can tell from the listing, they're plastic and can't be confused as an original (which I personally prefer)

On adventure 2 with diddy kong...about 15 balloons in and 47 collected on the first adventure.

I have found the bosses a lot easier this time around...I'm sure I was a late teen or in my early 20's when I originally played this...all them years ago, and struggled with the boss races.

I think the NTSC version may be easier?

19 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Well yeah. Still, I found it really easy when I went back to the American version of the game years later.

That'll be because it's not a botched mess. 

The 50Hz thing regarding retro-games in PAL regions makes my blood boil, which is why I'm jokingly being pedantic about it. 

The UK basically got trash versions of games almost up until the introduction of HD resolutions. Sure 60Hz became an option on a lot of PAL games but still buried under some "hold B on boot" nonsense.