N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Coincidentally, I started playing Goeman's Great Adventure the other day and am completely charmed by it. I remember reading about its brutal difficulty back in the day but it certainly doesn't feel any unfairer than SNES Mystical Ninja. I'm looking forward to finishing my first N64 game since about 2001.

I've just turned it off.

I'm up to ten entry passes, and following the advice off the fortune teller, found a few more entry passes.

I'm going to bed soon (just going to check the darts results as I missed most of it playing this!)

I'm on the 2nd world, first thing to do tomorrow is to find the 2nd exit on one of the levels.

I play all games without an faq...so....I'm bound to hit stumbling blocks, it's a nice feeling though when you work it out!

I'm maxed out on 999 coins, that has happened naturally, and me dying on several stages!

It's definitely got that one more go factor. Can't fault it this far in..

The other mystical ninja on n64...I had this year's ago...I was over 20 hours in...

I remember getting stuck and not finishing it...so I will replay that at some point.

The original snes game...wow, that blew me away, very special.

I played the 2nd one, Japanese only release and the music and platforming and wackiness is just out of this world, just a shame my Japanese is very very limited.

The 3rd and 4th on snes, I've always avoided, I understand one of them you need a faq for a few sections (due to language barrier) and the other one needs a full on faq.

If they ever got translated....wow....I remember asking about that years ago...

The one I'm currently playing...just brilliant, the analogue stick works well, you can use d pad too..

Pure action platforming, bit of exploring, some nice colourful graphics and stages, music so beautiful.

:)

2 minutes ago, RastanSaga said:

The original snes game...wow, that blew me away, very special.

I played the 2nd one, Japanese only release and the music and platforming and wackiness is just out of this world, just a shame my Japanese is very very limited.

An apparantly meticulous fan translation of the second SNES game has been at an almost-completed status for a while.

There's a 3rd probably impenetrable board-game based N64 Goemon title too.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

For some reason, so the n64 mini announce will soon happen, i’m Craving buying an n64. Should I go for us/jap or is pal50 fine for this? 

Aside from fleabay, where is best to find one? 

Yeah get a US/JAP model (with an RGB mod if you can stretch to it), then buy an Everdrive and live the dream! 

16 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

For some reason, so the n64 mini announce will soon happen, i’m Craving buying an n64. Should I go for us/jap or is pal50 fine for this? 

Aside from fleabay, where is best to find one? 

look out for the n64 model by hyperkin

hdmi goodness

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Vaguely Heroic said:

Is anyone else a fan of the Super Pad 64 for N64? I tried it out recently, and found it great to use; certainly a more comfortable hold than the official controllers.

EFY8gTaXYAEPLs9.jpg

i use mine more than my official pad so much more fun playing WWF no mercy and WCW/NWO revenge

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd bump this as I recently picked up a bunch of games and have started building up a collection again after foolishly selling off my original.

So I've been playing Banjo-Kazooie for the last week and I'm enjoying it a lot. Played it back in the day of course but it's interesting to see how it does and doesn't hold up today.

It has a fantastic game world and feels exceptionally solid, particularly when you climb to a level's highpoint and can see it all laid out beneath you. That's something really satisfying about climbing to the top of Spiral Mountain or flying high above Treasure Trove Cove and seeing the entire world spread out below you.

A lot of the Jiggie quests still hold up really well and while the worlds are fairly large, they rarely feel like you're aimlessly walking around and doing nothing (a fault with a lot of 3D platformers from the period, N64 and otherwise). That's also one of the issue's I had with Yooka-Laylee, it felt a little too sprawling and too easy to get lost. I've been getting lost in this quite a lot, even though the levels are largely tiny by today's standards.

I've been enjoying the animal transformations, but if I'm honest they don't add a huge amount to the game, rather than getting you into smaller, out of the way places. I guess it's pretty decent how some don't have attacks, so it becomes about avoiding enemies, rather than interacting with them, but considering the transformation costs for the later animals it doesn't always feel worth it.

One thing I'm not enjoying is the signposting on the latter levels, which I'm finding a little frustrating. My biggest issue so far has been Mad Monster Mansion. While I'm enjoying the structure of the level there's no indication that you need to bash from doors and windows in order to complete many of the quests. I'd have been completely stuck if I hadn't resorted to a guide. While the game does a good job of explaining your abilities, if doesn't really highlight how they can be used in-game and the nature of the graphics mean a lot of the time things look like a texture and not something that can be interacted with.

Speaking of the graphics, it does look really impressive even now. Clanker's Cavern, Rusty Bucket Bay and Freezeezy Peaks have impressed me the most, and visually it doesn't feel massively dated. I love how the textures in certain levels look really three dimensional and it's not until you get up close that you realise they're completely flat walls.

I've noticed a big difficulty spike on Rusty Bucket Bay (everything seems to want to kill you) and the babbling voices are beginning to grate (I'm at the 10-hour mark) but I'm enjoying my time plugging away at it.

Ga huh!