IGNORED

Insurgency Sandstorm - Consoles 2019

Dave White

logo-black.png

currently playing the beta at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. Its the follow up to Insurgency which ran on the source engine.

One of the modes is a base capture terrorist hunt affair where you attack or defend with your human team mates against some utterly clever Ai bots, if you enjoyed the original rainbow 6  terrorist hunt, this is for you. 

I haven't even touched the black ops iiii 2nd beta because of this, its that good. New additions are commanders who can call in smoke barrages, Mortars, gunships  and the likes, and the insurgents can call in chemical drone attacks, and rockets. Its incredibly tense and utterly thrilling.

PC beta is running now until tomorrow,  it has been up and down with frame rate problems and the likes as they tweak it. Apparently the detail isn't fully applied so it doesn't look as good as it will at launch. 2nd beta starts on the 30th August and runs until the launch on September the 18th. Console versions launch in 2019.

Cant praise this enough and on console it really will offer something very unique compared to cod and bf.

http://insurgency-sandstorm.com

I played a ton of the original mod and the standalone release perhaps even more (racked up loads of hours on Day of Infamy as well, their WWII title). If they can optimize the performance (no reason why they shouldn't be able to) then I'll probably end up playing this the most out of all shooters this year. I just love emphasis on close quarters combat and how its map design doesn't funnel you down corridors or only feature limited routes (such as in CoD). There's a sense of 'intimacy' and weightiness to it all that a lot of other shooters lack these days. Can't wait for this! 

The PvE element has never been that great though with AI running at you in straight lines or bunching up around stairs for easy pickings. It's a fun diversion to let off some steam but definitely not the main attraction. 

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

I played a ton of the original mod and the standalone release perhaps even more (racked up loads of hours on Day of Infamy as well, their WWII title). If they can optimize the performance (no reason why they shouldn't be able to) then I'll probably end up playing this the most out of all shooters this year. I just love emphasis on close quarters combat and how its map design doesn't funnel you down corridors or only feature limited routes (such as in CoD). There's a sense of 'intimacy' and weightiness to it all that a lot of other shooters lack these days. Can't wait for this! 

The PvE element has never been that great though with AI running at you in straight lines or bunching up around stairs for easy pickings. It's a fun diversion to let off some steam but definitely not the main attraction. 

well, you're in for a nice surprise re the ai as ive been sniped from across the map, been grenaded through a window, been properly flanked and had a chemical drone at my position. its really really good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Big ol' update is live! Am hoping the optimisation work paid off as I'm itching to dive back in; the constant stutter and framedrops were pretty bad at times.

Hi everyone my name is Jon Higgins, and I am the Marketing and Communications Director here at New World Interactive. Today we are rolling out a major update to the ongoing pre-order beta test for Insurgency: Sandstorm. 

The core of this update is a codebase upgrade from Unreal Engine 4.19 to Unreal Engine 4.20. This was a very time-consuming process, but should yield significant benefits for both now and the future by allowing us to take advantage of new features in Unreal. During the upgrade, the rest our team has been hard at work adding new content and features such as the Alpha AK assault rifle, community server tools, a new map, tattoo cosmetics, and more. We’ve also been doing a lot of optimisation, and continuing to refine the core experience based on community feedback. The full change log runs at almost 18 pages long and can be found at the bottom of this post.

18 pages! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Even with BF (big fan) around the corner this tempted me into a purchase as it kind of reminded me of CS years ago. I realise it's not the same but I think it was more the aesthetic and smaller player numbers.

Anyway, had a few rounds last night and rather enjoyed it. Played the Firefight mode mostly, quite liked the spin on that with the tension it creates when you're team is down to a couple of players and you're waiting to see if they capture to bring you back in. You really need to slow your pace though and check every angle as the first couple of rounds, I got my arse handed to me as I adapted to shaking the initial urge to play it like a BF/COD.

Guns feels great, as is the sound. Looks a little ropey but serviceable enough.

Tried a bit of the domination mode, think classic three flag conquest from BF. Found it more to my taste as you respawn quickly after each death and it was more fast paced with less camping.

But for some reason there is no progression when playing this game mode. Just one class with everything unlocked and available. Bit of a bummer since progression and unlocking new stuff to try out is one of the things I really enjoy in these kind of shooters.

Also have some sound issues. My own gun sound dissapears from time to time and it is more or less impossible to hear footsteps meaning the people keep kreeping up from behind all the time.

19 hours ago, Jonnycash said:

Sorry if this has already been asked but what sort of FPS are people getting on the new gen consoles. Does it run at 60fps or much lower. 

Thanks 

4k60 (PS5/XSX) and that part seems really stable. Not like Hell Let Loose on PS5 (beta) which had a lot of stuttering and noticeable slowdown.