Playmaji's Polymega

Tailfly

5 hours ago, pastry said:

If the thing played ROMs out of the box it would seem less of a cop-out that it became an emulation device. I'm sure it won't be long before it's cracked, but it's definitely an odd stance.

Yeah to me it became an inconvenient Raspberry Pi at a sky high price.  I don't know what of the existing PC - Pi - Emu handheld - Mister - Analogue/FPGA clones - Real Hardware tree it would replace for anyone.

It occupies the price band of the FPGA solutions for no real discernible benefit.

But if it turns out it is at least a real thing whose place I can't see people will be able to review them properly :)

Yup I'm definitely in the same boat - MiSTer Saturn core is making great strides, PS1 probably won't be long.. one thing this has going is great looks – both the device aesthetics and the menu system are bloody lovely – and ease of use / zero config.

That said, if you want a sleek box under the tele and zero config you can get much the same on your Apple TV using Provenance, which is pretty much OpenEmu for tvOS. OpenEmu has been fantastic on my Mac while I wait for one of these devices to do it right.

I suppose it must be said that the Polymega's lightgun support might be the biggest differentiator.

And also.. that we've probably been over all this before :D But looking forward to reviews from everyday consumers, and for the hacking to begin...

• 4 months later...

Well, my Polymega has arrived from WorldWideDistribution.de

The modules/extra controllers are being shipped next month.

I didn't get a customs charge with it.  Will that get sent to me after?

smaller.jpg

Good that it’s arrived. I haven’t worked my way back through the thread but like the Next thread, wasn’t this one also full of ‘lol it’s another Vega, you’ll never get it’ chortling comments?

17 hours ago, Camel said:

Good that it’s arrived. I haven’t worked my way back through the thread but like the Next thread, wasn’t this one also full of ‘lol it’s another Vega, you’ll never get it’ chortling comments?

Yes it was 😄

smaller still.jpg

OK, I set it up.

All appears to be working thankfully. I did the updates. No boot loop issue which has affected some. CD drive seems to be reading discs well. (I've only started installing my Neo Geo CD games so far).

Regarding Neo Geo CD games, the loading is instant so KOF99, Last Blade 1 and 2 load instantly and are now pretty much as speedy as the AES carts but have the enhanced audio.

It does come with a few games installed (40 winks and Virus on PS1) + others. So far the emulation appears to be flawless. I haven't tried Saturn yet.

I installed a 1tb SSD into the expansion slot with no problems. I've installed about 10 Neo Geo CD games so far and I still have 960gb left so it is looking good to be able to store a lot of games on it.

The controller is OK. The D-Pad is a bit stiff. I think it is a rebranded 3rd party controller.

I've got the extra modules (for SNES, Megadrive, PCEngine/TurboGrafx and NES) coming next month along with extra controllers although I might just stick to my 8bitdo ones depending on the quality.

The box itself is smaller than I was expecting but has a bit of weight to it with an external power brick and there is some low fan noise.

So far so good. If they can get the N64 module and the light guns out in a timely fashion, they could be onto a winner here.  I hope they add 3DO support.

Installed some more games today. Lots of Saturn titles mainly Japanese ones. It allowed me to install the fan translations of Shining Force 3 and so far the Saturn emulation looks pretty much bang on.

Did you install SF3 by burning a disc and then ripping it? 

I wonder if you could clone a drive and install it, provided the games have been ripped by a Polymega? I'm not sure I could put in the effort to burn and THEN rip stuff.. I mean I don't even have a CD burner!

Also curious whether cartridge games work without their respective modules plugged in? Aha, from their FAQ

You can play them without having to insert the games or matching module once installed.

12 hours ago, pastry said:

Did you install SF3 by burning a disc and then ripping it? 

I wonder if you could clone a drive and install it, provided the games have been ripped by a Polymega? I'm not sure I could put in the effort to burn and THEN rip stuff.. I mean I don't even have a CD burner!

Also curious whether cartridge games work without their respective modules plugged in? Aha, from their FAQ

I had the japanese cd already so it just installed. You can play off the disc (it copies it to the hdd whilst you play it) and when you eject the disc it removes it OR you can add it to the library and copy it on. Once done, you don't need the disc any more.

Ah no, I had *cough* CD's of Shining Force 3 and the expansions with the translations on disc.

The polymega didn't recognise them but allowed me to manually find the box art/info so that they appear in the list of games.

They seem to be shipping now more freely to preorder customers. I have to say it was a bit of a leap of faith but so far I am very impressed. It just works.  I think a lot of people are going to be pretty suprised by it.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Ketchup said:

It’s been announced that Dreamcast is coming to this thing. That’s cool but how is the CD drive going to read GD-roms? 

Not a problem for drives.

2 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Unless they're using drives harvested out of Dreamcast consoles the Polymega isn't going to read or rip Dreamcast GD-ROM discs. 

Was t there certain cd drives for over that would read them back in the day?

Cery few abs far between from what I remember, but there were some.

I may have entirely imagined that his though 😂

3 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Was t there certain cd drives for over that would read them back in the day?

Cery few abs far between from what I remember, but there were some.

I may have entirely imagined that his though 😂

Yeah I believe there were non-DC drives that could handle GD-ROMs, but as you say they were far and few between, and as I understand it they stopped being manufactured over a decade ago.

They teased DC compatibility since before the Polymega branding was a thing, and they're still doing it.

It's a poor look.

10 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Do you not just need a dvd drive equivalent to read originals or am i missing something? 

DC was just in-between tech

That's not how that works. If a drive wasn't designed to read a format, it won't. It has nothing to do with levels of technology.