rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MattyP

Gaming things you regret buying...

46 minutes ago, dumpster said:

In our store we were not allowed to put Soul Calibur on any of our screens because of the BBFC certificate. If I remember rightly it had to have a proper BBFC rating because of the weapons. Whatever the reason we got a fax from head office specifically saying we were not allowed to demo it. I don't remember any other game getting a specific order like that.  The intro to Soul Calibur would have sold Dreamcasts .

Bet it was something to do with nunchaku or the bo staff. Or ninjas. Bloody stupid moral panics about nothing.

• Upvote 1

The Atari Jaguar for me - hated the damn thing and ALL of the games I tried on it (which included all the "classics"). What a piece of tripe - the worst console I've ever owned (and I have had an Ngage and a CDi!!)

• Upvote 2

On 22/08/2018 at 08:56, nakamura said:

The Wii U. Yes it does have some good games for sure, but I just dislike it greatly. The controller is awful and the whole thing reeks of tacky. The menus are horrid and third party support weak.

Same!

The only single-player Wii U games that I enjoyed were Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD. The other games I semi-liked (Splatoon and Mario Kart 8) have since appeared on its successor in revised form,  so I really shouldn't have bothered. Amazing to think that the peak of the system's third-party support was literally launch day as well. As for the controller gimmick, it was Nintendo's worst design decision since the Virtual Boy, and at least that has a kitschy novelty factor to it.

Other regrets,  one was waiting for and buying a PAL GameCube – should've imported an NTSC GameCube and games rather than buying the domestic releases, because if nothing else I could've become addicted to Animal Crossing sooner. :lol: 

Shouldn't have bought a PS2, I barely used it other than for occasional plays on retro compilations. The big PS2 releases like GTA3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 I played round friends' houses at the time anyway, and buying my own PS2 meant less money for my GameCube collection...

Buying the launch models of the Game Boy Advance was a mistake. I guess that no one really expected the GBA would get a hardware update, let alone so soon. However, I bought a GBA a few weeks after my friends did, at UK launch, and I was stunned how difficult it was to see anything on the screen – one friend showed me his GBA and the Tony Hawks game the evening he bought both, and we spent the whole time trying to find some lights in the house powerful enough to view the game properly, which should've rung alarm bells. 

• Upvote 1

On 23/08/2018 at 11:48, McCoy said:

Zelda BOTW for the Wii U.  I'm not normally too fussed about Zelda games so thought I'd play this on the Wii U and get the Switch at a later date.  But it turned out to be one of the best games ever and I loved playing it.  But now that I have a Switch I don't really want to keep the Wii U plugged into play it but also do not want to start again on the Switch version.  A cloud save option to link the two versions would be idea but this is Nintendo we're talking about.

I should have just bit the bullet and brought a Switch with it at launch.  

This is me so much. 

• Upvote 2

In hindsight, PS3. Though I was happy with it at the time.

Realistically, I bought it because I was a bit of a Sony fanboy and, more to the point, a Gran Turismo nut. I loved the first four main games in a series and even had the overpriced demos. I bought the Gran Turismo Prologue pack and got a pretty decent (if casual leaning) collection of games while waiting for GT5. And it just wasn't very good. It felt like a vanity project and it left me cold. But I persevered and got GT6. And that was even worse. Bought it on launch, played it for a week or so and haven't been back since.

The reason I haven't been back since is Forza. I never really bothered with Xbox (despite owning one) because I didn't like the controller and didn't bother with Forza Motorsport because I'd been told it was a poor GT clone. I revisited the whole thing on a whim and discovered I really liked Forza. I got a 360 pretty much at the end of it's life and discovered that the Dual Shock 3 is actually shit and the 360 is unquestionably the best controller ever and that the 360 is just an overall nicer system to use. 

And the Forza games are a million miles more enjoyable than the Gran Turismo games of the same gen.

While I liked the PS3 while I used it, I now look back and realise I wasted time with it that would have been much better spent with Microsoft's box...

• Upvote 7

In 3rd place, Destiny 2 on pc. I thought the demo was great so plumped for the version with 2 expansions. What I didn’t realise was that the expansions would be so small. I thought I was getting 3 years worth of expansions, one a year!

In 2nd place, Donkey Konga. I thought it would be a great tutorial for laying down some bongo grooves, what it turned out to be was plastic tat with a child’s game that involved tapping along to the melody in the least groovy way imaginable.

In first place would have to be swapping my Amiga for a Megadrive. I already had a SNES so had the superior console experience, but I missed out on so many late Amiga classics basically for Sonic.

I remember owning one of these god-awful motion controllers in the 90s:

airpad.jpg

Clearly Nintendo never got hold of one or they'd have been put off motion controllers for life.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Dance Dance Revolution mat for PS2.

I used it once, and later sold it back to a second-hand shop for a fraction of what I'd paid for it, although fortunately that wasn't very much in the first place.

• Empathy 1

On 27/08/2018 at 12:03, ScouserInExile said:

Realistically, I bought it because I was a bit of a Sony fanboy and, more to the point, a Gran Turismo nut. I loved the first four main games in a series and even had the overpriced demos. I bought the Gran Turismo Prologue pack and got a pretty decent (if casual leaning) collection of games while waiting for GT5. And it just wasn't very good. It felt like a vanity project and it left me cold. But I persevered and got GT6. And that was even worse. Bought it on launch, played it for a week or so and haven't been back since.

The reason I haven't been back since is Forza. I never really bothered with Xbox (despite owning one) because I didn't like the controller and didn't bother with Forza Motorsport because I'd been told it was a poor GT clone. I revisited the whole thing on a whim and discovered I really liked Forza. I got a 360 pretty much at the end of it's life and discovered that the Dual Shock 3 is actually shit and the 360 is unquestionably the best controller ever and that the 360 is just an overall nicer system to use. 

And the Forza games are a million miles more enjoyable than the Gran Turismo games of the same gen.

While I liked the PS3 while I used it, I now look back and realise I wasted time with it that would have been much better spent with Microsoft's box...

Same thing with me... although to be fair I ended up getting a PS3 because of the RRoD issues on the 360 (had my launch one for 10-11months) and it hadn't RRoDed so I traded it in for a PS3. Then MS shortly after released the extended warranty program. D'oh. Became a bit of Forza fan back on the OG Xbox when the first was released. Much more enjoyable the Gran Turismo series.. and you could fully customise the cars including painting them! They are both great games for different reasons though since playing Forza always preferred that. My favourite is still Forza 3. Just enjoyed the tracks so much on this one.

Ended up with another 360 (got an Elite later on) and still have one now  - mainly to play my other favourite racing series PGR...

Have we really got this far into the thread without mentioning EyeToy?

y3YM9Xi.jpg

Admittedly, I was pretty late picking it up (and picking up PS2 stuff in general), and it can still be credited/blamed for making a spirited attempt at casual motion-based gameplay before waggle truly crept into the seventh-gen systems, but what was available? A few novelty first-party minigames? A Sega collection with entertaining but short-lived distractions? That Harmonix hoverboard game? The Nike exercise thing? Hardly the most memorable back catalogue. ;) 

• Upvote 3

On 27/08/2018 at 12:03, ScouserInExile said:

GT5 and 6 were absolutely shite. And I mean shite, very poor games. Such a shame after such an amazing start to the series. But the focus was on quantity and not quality. 

Forza 4 is my favourite of the Motorsport series though I've not played 7 and and there is no Toyota so I probably won't. 4 just had that mix of fun and content. Although the tracks weren't quite as good as GTs for me. 

On 27/08/2018 at 20:03, ScouserInExile said:

The Forza series is great fun, and Forza 3 and 4 are absolutely superb.  For me, the Fujimi Kaido is the best track in any racing game ever.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, nakamura said:

GT5 and 6 were absolutely shite. And I mean shite, very poor games. Such a shame after such an amazing start to the series. But the focus was on quantity and not quality. 

Forza 4 is my favourite of the Motorsport series though I've not played 7 and and there is no Toyota so I probably won't. 4 just had that mix of fun and content. Although the tracks weren't quite as good as GTs for me. 

To me, the GT series hit its peak at GT3. The first two were technically and visually amazing but not a lot of fun to play, especially the first one. The third seemed to just got that sweet spot where it retained the technical brilliance but was also a decent racing game. And it's that racing element that started to drop off again after GT3. And it got a lot worse in 5 and 6. Whenever there was negativity around racing in GT5 and GT6, I would see apologists saying "it's a driving simulator, not a racing game". Which doesn't hold much water when they're entirely in racing circuits and include a lot of racing cars.

The biggest sin for me was the AI - the fact rolling starts were enforced in every race in a way that let the AI spread out as much as possible showed that racing was no longer the focus. You can't have a fair race when the pole position car gets a thirty second head start in every race. What it meant was that you had to have a much better car than the AI and every race became a time trial with AI speed bumps. 

GT5 also has the absolute worst interface design decision I've ever seen - it would take a couple of minutes for you to "deliver" every car you won to your garage for no discernible reason.

Completely agree on the Forza 4 thing. It's the most fun I've had with a straight racing game for some years. It's just a really good game. The Motorsport series has been usurped by Horizon for me now, though...

• Upvote 1

On 25/08/2018 at 13:43, sandman said:

The Atari Jaguar for me - hated the damn thing and ALL of the games I tried on it (which included all the "classics"). What a piece of tripe - the worst console I've ever owned (and I have had an Ngage and a CDi!!)

Surely the thread winner? Jaguar, N-Gage, and a CDi - I can't see anyone beating that unholy trinity unless someone wades in with a 3DO on top of that!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Surely the thread winner? Jaguar, N-Gage, and a CDi - I can't see anyone beating that unholy trinity unless someone wades in with a 3DO on top of that!

Jaguar, N-Gage, CDi and WiiU ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's harsh, The 3DO had some fantastic games on it.

Things I regret buying:

Import USA PS3, Think I was one of those idiots that spent £800-900 at lauch to get one and spent the next two years playing PS2 Gradius V on it.  100% my fault but expected something much better considering the effort they made with the PS2 but their gaming direction started to change (imo) with this system. Sold it on after four years and the poor bugger that bought it got the yellow light of death about a year later.

UK PS4, Oh look it's launch time again and I got swept up in the hype, Noisy machine with dated menus that wouldn't look out of place on a ten year old Bravia. Crap launch titles and Sony's first party started to feel like it was defying all of the good work they did with the PS1/PS2. Too much focus from first party games trying to be movies which is the total antithysis of why I play videogames. I don't buy many physical games anymore so In an increasingly digital market I felt like none of my info was secure with Sony's efforts (account was jacked twice) so It was sold and not missed.

Wii, Yeah another US import but I'm not sure why I did. Bought so few games for the system it's probably the most underused mainstream system I've ever bought.

Wii U, Feels like the point I fell out of love with Nintendo. After being such a huge Gameboy, NES and SNES fan the slow drip feed of titles felt like they realised a mistake happened very early and gave up and lost support of most developers along the way.

Jaguar CD, Bought three of them. None worked. Supposedly has the worst reliability of any add-on ever produced going by the Atari Age forum. Never did get to play on a working one.

Things I regret selling:

Amiga 1200 - I traded in a beautiful mint boxed A1200 that I had happily owned for three to four years towards a Saturn, Got next to nothing for it and ummed and ahhed it because I didn't want to carry it back home on the bus [must have been 14 or 15]. Every six months or so this pops in my head as a terrible memory and I just think what the fuck did you do that for.

6 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

To me, the GT series hit its peak at GT3. The first two were technically and visually amazing but not a lot of fun to play, especially the first one. The third seemed to just got that sweet spot where it retained the technical brilliance but was also a decent racing game. And it's that racing element that started to drop off again after GT3. And it got a lot worse in 5 and 6. Whenever there was negativity around racing in GT5 and GT6, I would see apologists saying "it's a driving simulator, not a racing game". Which doesn't hold much water when they're entirely in racing circuits and include a lot of racing cars.

The biggest sin for me was the AI - the fact rolling starts were enforced in every race in a way that let the AI spread out as much as possible showed that racing was no longer the focus. You can't have a fair race when the pole position car gets a thirty second head start in every race. What it meant was that you had to have a much better car than the AI and every race became a time trial with AI speed bumps. 

GT5 also has the absolute worst interface design decision I've ever seen - it would take a couple of minutes for you to "deliver" every car you won to your garage for no discernible reason.

Completely agree on the Forza 4 thing. It's the most fun I've had with a straight racing game for some years. It's just a really good game. The Motorsport series has been usurped by Horizon for me now, though...

GT1 was loads of fun to play. Probably the most fun in the series!

They got rid of rubber banding from 3 onwards so you could end up winning races by miles. 3 is probably the best one though.

13 minutes ago, Revival said:

UK PS4, Oh look it's launch time again and I got swept up in the hype, Noisy machine with dated menus that wouldn't look out of place on a ten year old Bravia. Crap launch titles and Sony's first party started to feel like it was defying all of the good work they did with the PS1/PS2. Too much focus on games trying to be movies which is the total antithysis of why I play videogames. I don't buy many physical games anymore so In an increasingly digital market I felt like none of my info was secure with Sony's efforts (account was jacked twice) so It was sold and not missed.

:) Regret buying a PS4 shortly after launch (bought it in the January after release). Played and enjoyed Resogun - bought Killzone : Shadow Fall with it... wasn't that impressed. Actually bought it for DriveClub but that kept getting delayed so think in the end I sold it while it was still fetching good prices and bought a XBox One with Forza Horizon 2.  Think the main issue for me was none of the games seemed to live up to expectation... DriveClub (on release was not great), The Order 1886 (was delayed and not great) etc.

Since picked up a cheap one second hand just to play the odd exclusive - really enjoyed Uncharted 4. Playing Shadow Of The Colossus and The Last Guardian.  Hardly gets used though.

In general agree though lots of games seem to be trying to be movies these days... don't think its just Sony though...

54 minutes ago, MattyP said:

In general agree though lots of games seem to be trying to be movies these days... don't think its just Sony though...

In an era of having more games released per day, than at any other point in history, this is a ridiculous statement.

My biggest gaming regret was putting £12 into The Simpsons arcade game in the early 90s. I was young and foolish and thought it would help me finish the game but it didn't.

Years later I played through MAME and worked out how much more it would've cost to finish it. This is probably why I hate gambling mechanics and loot boxes so much, because I recognize how easily you can fool the young and vulnerable.

• Upvote 2

Green Beret for the MSX. I loved the arcade game, so as an 11 year old I was excited to see its announcement and started putting money away for it, but this port is recognised as a rushed to market piece of shit that the former head of Konami UK has actually apologised for in the years since.

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned the Amstrad GX4000 yet so I assume anyone that got one was delighted with their purchase. 

On 22/08/2018 at 21:24, dumpster said:

Nemesis on the spectrum. I loved Gradius in the arcades and those screenshots in the adverts made the conversion look great. When I bought it I was young and had to save up pocket money. When I got that game home I never got off level one, yet somehow at the time I never noticed that it was absolute shit and blatantly nothing like the "actual spectrum screenshots" in the adverts. How did I not notice? Same with the Spectrum conversion of Outrun. The adverts were outright lies and somehow I never noticed.  I played Nemesis on my Spectrum Vega Plus, sorry, I mean PSVita Retroarch) and made it through to the second level using save states and I cannot believe anyone would have made it off level 1 back in the day. The hit box around the ship is massive and the bullets judder about the screen - its impossible.

I had a similar experience. At the age of 8 Gradius was my favourite game of all time, I’d decided after playing it three times in an arcade in Dover. 

I got a Spectrum +2 for Christmas and this was the game I was most excited for and the first one I played.

I couldn’t get past the first level either. I even typed in a poke for infinite lives but that doesn’t help when each death sends you back miles. 

I might check it out on Retropie as well actually. 

22 hours ago, Qazimod said:

y3YM9Xi.jpg

Admittedly, I was pretty late picking it up (and picking up PS2 stuff in general), and it can still be credited/blamed for making a spirited attempt at casual motion-based gameplay before waggle truly crept into the seventh-gen systems, but what was available? A few novelty first-party minigames? A Sega collection with entertaining but short-lived distractions? That Harmonix hoverboard game? The Nike exercise thing? Hardly the most memorable back catalogue. ;) 

That Sega EyeToy minigame collection featured the first playable NiGHTS game since Christmas NiGHTS, didn't it?

Speaking of which... is anyone going to nominate the Wii's NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams as a game they regret buying? I never played it but its reputation is very poor compared to the original.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I bought a Tapwave Zodiac.  And a Gizmondo.

• Empathy 2

On 15/10/2018 at 22:47, Qazimod said:

y3YM9Xi.jpg

It made a pretty good PC webcam with the right driver...

• Upvote 1

Playstation Move.

When I saw the screenshots/clips for No More Heroes : Heroes' Paradise and House of The Dead Overkill : Extended Cut I traded my Wii and games for cash at Game.

I thought I'd see a deluge of HD Wii ports and some new games. I genuinely thought this was the Wii killer, especially with RE5 Move edition. 

Fuck! Was I wrong...

It's a shame, because it was actually a decent bit of kit that just did not get the support it deserved.