rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Loik V credern

Karl Pilkington is Sick Of It

Merchant said the other day that Karls not really interested as he doesn't want to split money three ways. I kind of understand that as he was pretty much the star of the podcasts etc. He also says they feel like they have got as much out of Karl as they could. 

Also they will never top Rock Busters. De Trout Spinners.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Merchant said the other day that Karls not really interested as he doesn't want to split money three ways.

Sounds like a joke...where did he say that?

I kind of understand that as he was pretty much the star of the podcasts etc. He also says they feel like they have got as much out of Karl as they could. 

Also they will never top Rock Busters. De Trout Spinners.

I just think that's looking at it purely as a proper thing. It's still 3 guys who have good chemistry together talking about stuff. The guide to series is great, and none of it felt pre planned. I'd love more on particular subjects, the news, world events, films, music. They've clearly all fallen out, and might never work together for decades, as each does their own decreasing in quality thing.

It would be quite ironic if this show turns out funnier/better than Hello Ladies, Derek and Life's Too Short. Wouldn't be difficult though. Hello Ladies was alright I guess.

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Sounds like a joke...where did he say that?

I just think that's looking at it purely as a proper thing. It's still 3 guys who have good chemistry together talking about stuff. The guide to series is great, and none of it felt pre planned. I'd love more on particular subjects, the news, world events, films, music. They've clearly all fallen out, and might never work together for decades, as each does their own decreasing in quality thing.

Recent interview with merchant here

I actually watched that the other day ! Will watch again.

I think they've both said that it wouldn't work so much if Karl rambles on on his own, others need to react and prod it out of him. It's not like Merchant and Gervais don't have funny stories of their own. Maybe Karl thinks the sometimes viciousness of how they were to him in the guide to series isn't worth it. He doesn't need to be subjected to that anymore. I just don't think it needs to be unbalanced in terms of them laying into everything he says. I don't why, but it veered into somehow hating him, resenting him for some reason. They stopped treating him as a mate and more as a source of ridicule. 

• Upvote 1

Merchant, especially, used to say he was bored of doing the podcasts. I can understand that they might want to do new projects. 

I had always hoped they might do an annual get together, though. 

On 22/08/2018 at 20:48, AI1 said:

It would be quite ironic if this show turns out funnier/better than Hello Ladies, Derek and Life's Too Short. Wouldn't be difficult though. Hello Ladies was alright I guess.

Life's too Short was rubbish but it did have the funniest thing Liam Neeson has ever done:

• Upvote 2

I think it's pretty clear that Gervais and Karl don't have anything to do with each other any more. Karl doesn't need Gervais squeezing his head and screeching at him any more in order to make a few quid. Gervais never mentions Pilkington ever these days, he used to forever be giving anecdotes about his evenings with Karl and tweeting pics of them both having a drink. That stopped years ago. Plus he didn't mention Karl on his last tour when Pilk-quotes were a staple of his previous shows. 

I have to say, going purely from that trailer, I think this could be a winner. Looks nicely shot for a start, and it feels as if it might have a bit of depth to it.

Anyone see what I mean? Or am I talking out of my arse?

Looks shit tbh. I've followed them since the XFM days - easily their best work.  Karl isn't as dumb as he makes out (listen to the early shows) and when he started bitching about money people got sick of him; the guy is a millionaire or close to it. The schtick doesn't work when you're rich pretending to be a normal northern lad. 

He was head of production at XFM then he got on air with ricky. He should have kept doing the idiot abroad stuff imo, if Merchant says it isn't working anymore then it isn't.

18 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Life's too Short was rubbish but it did have the funniest thing Liam Neeson has ever done:

Same review as the prequels.

Shit but Liam Neeson was good in the first one.

• Upvote 1

Life's Too Short when they made him wear a de-stuffed bear suit at the wedding was one of the moments that genuinely made me almost wet myself. I like Karl Pilkington's stuff but I can't watch it with the Mrs  as she basically says "that is just like you". To be fair, I am pretty negative about everything.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

What on EARTH happened? The post before this was before the show came out, since then it's all aired and MONTHS have gone by. What happened? Was it any good? I can't believe it just went unnoticed. 

I watched the first episode but didn’t get any further. I’d almost say it’s like he’s playing his character from Derek transplanted to a new situation (and with a haircut), but he doesn’t quite work as the main focus rather than someone who pops up occasionally, and/or without Gervaises writing talents.

• Upvote 1

Such a weird situation, Season 2 has been out for a while and STILL nobody here speaks of it. I finally decided to give it a go and have watched both series in about a week, I really enjoyed it. Much better then it had any right to be. 

Yeah i never bothered to watch this...(:lol:)

I don’t have Sky and forgot to torrent. My addiction to Pilkington is mainly in podcast form, it’s interesting to see him continuing doing tv because i don’t think anyone could have predicted when he was phoning up animal experts on xfm asking them; ‘snails...do we need em?’ that he’d eventually be where he is. I never listened to them at the time but still listening to them now it’s surprising i think. But inevitable given he just transitioned into his persona and took that career turn and needs something to fill the days with. 

I listen to new interviews and it’s always the same; we’re past doing radio now, it won’t work, the dynamic is different now. The guide to series wasn’t long ago. It’s still just 3 men talking about stuff. There’s enough new things to talk about. It’s not an Official Thing i mean, it’s not like returning to the David Brent character, returning to any sitcom/comedy show. Talking about it like it is makes it seem more contrived and set up than it was, as though there’s nothing left to mine about Karl’s childhood but feeling the need to force more. But it wasn’t just about him, Steve’s Rio story, or his autograph in the queue story, or Ricky’s identity theft story are also when it’s at its best. I listen to other podcasts, it’s not like anyone judges them, they are what they, people talking. You laugh at the funny stuff, forget the rest. It’s not a big deal. 

Karl didn’t like the way they treated him so fair enough. I also think Steve fell out with Ricky over returning to Brent, i’m just imagining him being bothered by milking some more of a character they were so sure about limiting to so few episodes. 

• Upvote 2

Finished season 2. Genuinely great stuff. I'm shocked at how good it was. Karl is actually a pretty good actor. Shed a tear at the end of episode 5.

You should really give it a go.

Really enjoyed the last two episodes I saw last night. Really enjoyed the whole thing. Sad ending to episode 5 but I did find funny with the "worlds biggest mug" being there as well. Also Stanhopes character was a right shit.