Streets of Rage IV - PS4 / XB1 / PC / Switch - Out Now!

I've just managed to 1CC this on Normal, using SOR1 Axel. Using a character who doesn't have much in the way of fancy combos was really useful as it helped me focus on enemy patterns and deal damage without having to do anything even remotely complex.

Losing the specials is a bit of a shame, but one of the SoR1 missiles took out a whole life bar on the final boss so it evened out eventually (and made up for the three times I accidentally used it at the start of a stage when trying to pick something up).

Very, very impressed with it so far - it's not often we get a modern sequel to something so sacred AND have it deliver.

15 hours ago, merrychan said:

Edit : I would love to be able to recover when I get knocked up in the air, I'm sure a side scrolling brawler had that.

Throw recovery is press jump, after being booted into the air via attacks I don't think it works though if that's what you're after. I guess you're supposed to mitigate that happening by using the defence skill, but most of the time I never seem to get the timing right to pull it off properly.

5 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Throw recovery is press jump, after being booted into the air via attacks I don't think it works though if that's what you're after. I guess you're supposed to mitigate that happening by using the defence skill, but most of the time I never seem to get the timing right to pull it off properly.

Nice! I'll give that a try, for some reason I was trying attack :D

I find this too easy on easy and too hard on normal :lol: Always seem to struggle on reading the bosses, and on that bloody lift up in stage 9. Absolutely shines in 2P though, when I can get connected to someone.

For the second stage of the final boss, is there a way to tell where the attacks are going to come from? Fighting the other is simple enough in itself, but getting seemingly randomly battered from the back of the screen seems not very avoidable no matter what.

I tend to hang in the top left or too right corner. The mech arms only target the corners if they go for the stomp move that tracks you specifically.  Other than that most of the attacks don’t hit that corner of the screen, so you can focus on hitting the arm and dodging the other twin. 

After a few days off from it, went back and finished it - OG Axel and Adam, while obviously boring in comparison to the later versions, just hit like trucks filled with trucks so I one shot all the remaining stages. The Ys theme, while having echoes of Mr X's really lacked the same oompf and urgency, so that was a bit disappointing but otherwise, loved it.

Also, need playable Estel DLC, stat.

Just finished off the last three stages of story mode, too. The last stage felt slightly anticlimactic (I cleared it on the first attempt - X and Y are easy to keep under control on Normal) but on the whole the game is a lot of fun and does as almost as much to 'update' the genre in its own ways as TNWOA did. I'm excited to dive into the arcade mode, because extends are given out about once per level if you're scoring well enough (if you're at full health all the food you pick up is worth thousands), so a 1CC should be pretty doable! 

10 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

After a few days off from it, went back and finished it - OG Axel and Adam, while obviously boring in comparison to the later versions, just hit like trucks filled with trucks so I one shot all the remaining stages. The Ys theme, while having echoes of Mr X's really lacked the same oompf and urgency, so that was a bit disappointing but otherwise, loved it.

Also, need playable Estel DLC, stat.

My biggest disappointment was when she

kicked that speaker in half and wasn't immediately revealed as a playable character, because the reveal of Adam totally sets up that expectation

Also there has to be a way to unlock Roo right? That's too much of a tease damn it.

Got to the final bosses on Boss Rush with Axel and fucked it all up. Gah !

Got an S-Rank on hard on the biker stage though, timing your jumps to avoid Barbon's kicks is SO SATISFYING !

Think I am done with this now.

Over all I loved it. Played it on normal, then easy to get the unlocks quicker. Had some fun playing this locally two player with my brother. 

It had some pretty good music in it, definitely at least two standout tracks, but that is obviously subjective. To be honest, I am still not keen on the art style, it just looks a bit "lazy" to me. A fantastic game though, and great value for £20.

Finished Boss Rush today, got an S Rank :D 

Took quite a while as I'm insistent on going through the struggle with Axel.  So far I've done the story mode on medium, Arcade on Medium and Hard,  and now boss rush. I enjoy Adam and Cherry quite a bit too, so they're a nice palate cleanser when I've been getting smashed with Axel for a bit. I finished Arcade on Medium with Cherry the first time I played her. I didn't even think I played that well, she just has insanely good crowd control like Skate in SOR2 and is the best at not getting hit. Axel feels like doing a buster only Megaman run by comparison, but that's a big part of what I love about him, the big lummox.

I'm up to Stage 8 (Skytrain) on Mania now. I was stuck on Stage 6 (Underground) for ages - the bit at the end of the first segment with the pipe-levitating cyborg and three Big Bens is an absolute dick. I always lost a life and relied on my two Star moves there. The bar segment is tough but really fun.

Skytrain is a very short level but really tough because there is no food until the boss. I've not been able to get there without losing a life as yet. Estelle plus two Commissioners is really sweaty - it's the first time the boss difficulty has been really bumped up on Mania, as there aren't usually many mobs on bosses (Stage 3 boss with the whipped-up Galcia's has been the exception so far).

Mania really does highlight how easily overwhelmed Axel can get. Blaze's body slam - with its speed, invincibility frames, splash damage and power - is such a lifesaver I've been using her on 90% of my attempts, though Adam's hard-hitting combos seem better for Skytrain, just to make the boss battle shorter and making it possible to knock a Commissioner out of the fight.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/streets_of_rage_4_dev_wanted_to_add_shinobis_joe_musashi_but_got_rejected_by_sega

Devs wanted to add Joe Mushashi as a playable character but Sega said no...

As cool as it would have been I think that would have lessened the appeal for a proper Shinobi game so I'm kinda torn.

If Sega would allow it Ryo Hazuki would be a great guest character. Would be cool to see some of the Hazuki style in a brawler format. 

Anyway. I finally got my wife to have a go at this yesterday with me on co-op. Begrudingly she says she'll play the first couple of levels and only on easy. Played the whole thing. She loved it. 

When i was a kid I played the first game in co-op with my older brother (mega games 2....WHAT a cart) so it was nice to capture some of that magic with the wife

GOTY 2020

2 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Does Axel need a buff or are people just too wedded to the joyous GRANDUPPAH and should be using his air special more?

He just needs to move a little bit faster. AoE attacks are bad news for him because outside of the air special there's no quick movement option. Not to mention all his specials seemingly take off way more green bar than the others. There's an actual damage chart here and outside of his offensive special, a lot of his moves do less damage than the others. His charge attack does 10 points less damage than Blaze's and the grand uppah is weaker than Blaze's blitz, too !

Adam's the best all rounder IMO. 

I'm still playing this. Finished It on normal a good few times, so have moved up to hard. Doesn't seem that difficult and I could have moved up a difficulty earlier but I was having too much fun trying out all the unlockables! 

Brilliant game! 

I wouldn’t want Axel to be buffed. I think he plays as intended and is still stronger than he was in the previous games. There is a great diversity of play styles on this roster and I think keeping Axel as Ordinary Guy adds to that. He’s capable of finishing the game on Mania, it’s just tough for him, but that was the case in SOR2 as well, and you could play the other characters if you wanted a slightly easier ride. 

Hmm, I think Stage 9 (Y Tower) on Mania might be my limit. The slippy bit at the start takes bloody ages to get past, and then all those red and white Goros backed up a load of kickboxers is very tough and quite tedious. Love the lift bit, but I've only go it once in about 20 tries!

Stage 8 (Art Gallery) is so easy I forgot it existed. Shot through it first time on both playthroughs.

This game is fucking magnificent. Playing it co-op online with a mate has brought me back to the best christmas day of the 90s, right down to shouting "Stop punching me!/Sorry!" at my brother in our pyjamas surrounded by wrapping paper. So good

Playing on Switch - am I being trolled or does the Bloom option not seem to do anything? I'm not entirely sure what it is to begin with but I can see absolutely no difference on or off. Is it like a sort of mild bleed or glow effect?

I think it's a combo that does 1000 damage rather than hitcount. I got a 'sick' combo of 992 on the cops on the sky train which was about 105, thats the closest I've got. 

Finally beat boss rush with Axel with an A-Rank. Thought there was a trophy - there wasn't :lol: still great fun though. What a terrific game. The more you play the more the minor niggles fade away and all the goodness is amplified. 

42 minutes ago, kempstar said:

What is an out of this world combo? We managed a 211 combo in three player and 110 in two player.

Yeah, I've done longer ones before and never managed it. I don't know why I got so much score bonus on that one.

Edit: I suppose perhaps because weapon hits are more damaging than regular ones.

20 hours ago, Pob said:

Hmm, I think Stage 9 (Y Tower) on Mania might be my limit.

I lied. Just beat it with Floyd, S-rank, no lives lost. 

If this doesn't win soundtrack of the year, in the prestigious rllmuk awards and elsewhere, I will... dunno, throw a hissy fit or something. 

Just listening to the OST on Spotify. The game opens and closes with Koshiro, which is just so fitting, but Olivier Deriviere deserves loads of praise for what he's done - Call the Cops in stage 2 is an absolute highlight for me. And Yoko Shimomura doing the Shiva theme... :wub: Recalls the best of her work, and is just straight out sick. 

Oh, and the game's all right as well. It's the only game in a very, very long time that my wife has actually asked to play, after we started a co-op session on Easy last week. A massive achievement, that is.