Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now

Down by Law

A twitch streamer (Shinkensou) is currently streaming a beta test patch version.

From what I caught:

Axel/ Blaze/ (SOR4 characters)  all their juggle corner infinite’s are gone?

Adam still has his, but mentioned that you have to re-adjust.

Axel got buffed: movement speed looks on par with Blaze or very slightly slower than blaze, grand upper has a few frames of invincibility into and out of and it moves/ travels further, and a bit more stronger.

He has an OTG now and his standard jab lock is still there.

Floyds 3 jab infinite is gone, but his 2 jab infinite is still there.

You can now use your offensive or defensive special when hit (you still lose a percentage of health when hit), so you won’t get stun locked or juggle bounced to death.

Mania Flame guys lose their armour on flame move.

The jump kick girls and the belly flop guy has less tracking now.

Biker girls headbutts been nerfed.

Bikes now take 3 hits to destroy than 5

The health you start on Island stage has been upped to half health (was quarter)

Cherry was mentioned to have a host of changes (damage buff) and she gains a jump cancel move.

It was mentioned that the retro characters have some tweaks but no specifics are mentioned.

Here’s the reddit discussion regarding what was showcased/ talked about:

A different tester going over the changes:

• 2 weeks later...

Played this a bit on launch day, but haven't been on it since - until last night when I finally got chance to have a proper session on it.

It really is rather wonderful - I can't think of a better remake that manages to capture the essence of the originals.  It succeeds in delivering that retro feel, but somehow making it seem like a current gen title.  I think that if they'd have tried to update it too much, it wouldn't have worked.  

Completed a run through with Adam and now I'm determined to unlock all the extra characters.

It's fantastic - a bargain at 20 notes.

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the Microsoft Rewards quests this month, so I've been back on it. 

It's just such a good game. I said this when it first launched, but the music is amazing as well. And I'm normally not arsed about game music.

Loads of fun to play and I'm really starting to get the hang of dealing with different enemies. Though I still struggle with the scantily clad women who do drop kicks and the fat blokes.

Great game, just really great. And my kids have a go every so often.

51 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

This is one of the Microsoft Rewards quests this month, so I've been back on it. 

It's just such a good game. I said this when it first launched, but the music is amazing as well. And I'm normally not arsed about game music.

Loads of fun to play and I'm really starting to get the hang of dealing with different enemies. Though I still struggle with the scantily clad women who do drop kicks and the fat blokes.

Me too - I did the '1 credit on Hard' achievement last night, which took 1hr45mins!

The best way to deal the Rihannas, as I call them, is to either bait the flying kick to bring them near to you, or stay directly above/below them. Never be in the sub-30 degree angle and distance where they'll be able to kick you. If you are, use your defensive special or use the invincibility frames of a body slam/throw so they pass through you.

The one move in the whole game I can't counter is the cyborg that levitates the all melee weapons that are lying around. How the hell do you deal with that?

Skytrain on Hardest is the toughest level in the game - there's no health items till the boss, you get two Commissioners to deal with as well as Estelle, and there aren't enough enemies to get the 8,000 points required for an extra life unless you are some combo god. It's easier on Mania because of the increased chance of an extra life.

My physical copy finally turned up for this. Came with a CD OST too, which was nice.

Only played about an hour but really enjoying it so far, my mind is just a bit a wash with potentials. Happy to read everyone is loving the game, just makes me want to play more

On 10/07/2020 at 10:59, Pob said:

The one move in the whole game I can't counter is the cyborg that levitates the all melee weapons that are lying around. How the hell do you deal with that?

I walk into a corner and as they are about to hit, jump into air special to get enough airtime / distance to avoid. 

Also is this patch ever coming out? Seems to be taking forever... 

7 minutes ago, JLM said:

Personally I love it how it is, but the "normal" difficulty is clearly more difficult than it was in the first three games.

Western release of SoR3 notwithstanding, there. Just in case anyone here reads that and, having played said game, reasonably thinks "fuck it, I'm out".

It's miles better than the earlier games. I've already probably played it more than SOR1 and 2, both of which I loved as a time-rich and cash-poor 12 year old.

It's also not hard once you get into it.

2=4>1>3

2 has the better last stage and end boss, and the GOAT sound FX (pipe smash)

4 has the best combat

1 has the tag team moves and the soundtrack's just behind 2 IMO

3 has the best movement but the worst stages,  glitchy sound fx and 'debatable' music quality that the others just don't

That's not to say 3 is poor, it's just my least favourite in a very high quality series of games

At the risk of derailing the thread, I still don't really rate 3. I really want to love it, but it's like someone has taken a classic recipe but messed about with the quantity of the ingredients and added in a couple that don't even belong in the dish. As a result it's just a far inferior version of 2 that feels more like some rom hack rather than a bona fide entry into the series. Also for some reason the graphics always looked far worse in SOR3 and that's despite being on a more meaty cartridge.

Lucky the 4th one has completely redeemed the series and it's totally up there for me. I have loved SOR2 since it was released so it's maybe unfair for me to compare the two games, but SOR4 was everything I wanted and more. 

For me the music in 3 has aged like a fine wine. Ahead if it’s time, that one.

That said, 4 is a great achievement and is huge amounts of fun. Doesn’t quite pip Streets of Rage Remake for me - I think I prefer the way that game updates the classic characters - but as an official release it’s highly recommended.

1 hour ago, Death's Head said:

For me the music in 3 has aged like a fine wine. Ahead if it’s time, that one.

I'll have to return to it. I can believe that it was ahead of it's time, but I do like a good rhythm to lay some beatings to.

My favourite SoR track is from the first game, level five. It's got an almost cinematic tension about it, a great pounding rhythm slinking throughout, I just love it. I'd go as far to say that I think the SoR OST is my favourite gaming OST.

Oh yeah, the soundtracks for 1 and 2 are superb. When I was a kid my uncle managed to record the soundtrack to 1 on to cassette (he’d shout when we paused it!) so we could listen in the car.

Since I mentioned the Remake, some of the remixes of the old tunes in that are excellent.

5 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Since I mentioned the Remake, some of the remixes of the old tunes in that are excellent.

Oh are they remixed are they? I thought they were just straight copies. Ohhh, well that's a good excuse for another run through. :)

On 22/07/2020 at 18:40, Camel said:

Is this any good then?

Nah, it's shit, mate.

The fantastic graphics and stunning lighting effects - Shit

The fighting mechanics that you get straight away, then fall into a deep hole of possibilities - Shit

The brilliant pacing, varied enemies and really fun bosses - Shit

Literally the first time in 40 years of gaming that I've heard a non-licenced soundtrack and thought "that's properly amazing, I actually want to listen to it" - Shit

The fact it's on Game Pass, so I haven't had to pay for one of the best games I've ever played - that's the shittest thing if all

The story is alright, though.

I'm playing this on PC through Game Pass and the vibration on my XB1 controller is broken: only the left grip motor vibrates, and it's always at max vibration, even if I turn down the setting to 10% in the menu. Anyone else experience this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

It's the music drops and transitions that make this the best, like when the baddies come out of their cells in the police station, or when you walk through the castle doors on the last level. Proper bangers.

I really like these 3 dudes playing mahjong at the start of the chinatown level. Look at that big no-neck guy. I wish he was a playable character.

Untitled.png.b04a7cc892c341a43f07cec36ed4e27e.png