IGNORED

Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now

Down by Law

2 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

So can you use the new characters (Shiva etc) in the main game or just in the new mode?

Both modes.

Dunno how it's handled on the X-Box as I only played it on PC Game Pass, but from looking at the microsoft store both just have discounts applied to them already.

Managed to get past level 25 with Shiva on the current Survival mode. How some people get up to level 50 and beyond I have no idea. But grinding for these new moves is furiously addictive.

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Still waiting for the Switch dlc to work :facepalm:

It driving me mad. What a basic, uneecessary, avoidable fuck up.

I've got it on steeam but I've never been able to get bluetooth controllers to work reliably. They work for a bit and then it goes crazy, with characters walking left and right when I'm not pressing anything and button presses being executed several seconds late. It's such a tease!

Estel's really cool. Pretty nice sub for when I don't want to play as Blaze*, though I'm unsure if there's a quick and easy way to abort her offensive special (takedown into rapid punches).

*This happens approximately never times because it's Blaze Goddamn Fielding, but hey.

I always used to pick Blaze but it's definitely Shiva now. You'd expect him to be fast but a bit fragile, but in fact he's a complete beast.

Plus the auto weapon throwing can stun lock enemies in the corners.

Max is great fun. This survival modes a bit dubious though, once you hit 20 there so much shit on the screen at once it's pure luck rather than skill whether you make it out or not. Shiva, two clones, Nora, 10 Galsias, random lightning strikes, push winds, it's fucking mental.

Swinging an electric swordfish with fire acid and thunder buffs at a gang of heavies wasn't exactly the cerebral combo fest I was expecting but enjoyable all the same. 

Great music again too, Tee Lopes is such a good composer. The Rocky -esque horns in the ring stage is such a wonderful touch . 

Definitely a good purchase at the £6 or so launch discount! 

Survival is terrific. I had a quadruple jump with Shiva last night and spent most of the action completely off the top of the screen. Was kinda hilarious. 

Yes it’s incredibly random once you get into the mid-20s but that’s all part of the charm I think. 

Cherry and Max are definitely the worst bosses to fight in it. Max with his infinite armour and Cherry with her spamming the fuck you I'm covering the whole screen to get you special.

I've managed to get to 22 with Shiva on the latest simulation, using the same tactic as Benny (spamming Blitz attacks), and just having one extra jump led to some hilariously OTT combos with elemental effects on top, so having extra jumps would be insane.

5 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

If anyone wants to add me on Xbox  then please feel free as my friends leaderboard is looking very sparse. I'm not fully addicted to survival mode and need some added motivation to do better! 

I assume that your gamertag is the same as your username here? Mine is Talvalin so feel free to add me (my scores are shit mind you).

Am I really bad in wanting a "no weapons, final destination" survival variant? Just had a really frustrating evening not being able to get past level 20. Wrecking balls, pits, wind and slippery floors, lava traps, flamethrowers, meteor strikes.. I want a version without any of that just to let loose, and training mode doesn't count! Also classic enemies with way too much super armour (seriously, that fire fatty boss type, had a run end with 3 of those at once..) get very prevalent. It sounds like I'm down on the dlc, and I'm really really not, I just think there's a little too much taking away from the actual fighting at times.

The collision detection on the wrecking balls is so hard to judge and has ended many a good run. I got to 24 last night on the weekly sim but got battered by the 3 bosses it spawned. Getting to 30 seems like its gonna be tough. The escalation of difficulty from around 16 onwards is dramatic , whereas the first 10 stages or so are so easy it feels like an extended warm up.

17 hours ago, Down by Law said:

The collision detection on the wrecking balls is so hard to judge and has ended many a good run. I got to 24 last night on the weekly sim but got battered by the 3 bosses it spawned. Getting to 30 seems like its gonna be tough. The escalation of difficulty from around 16 onwards is dramatic , whereas the first 10 stages or so are so easy it feels like an extended warm up.

Yeah the spike after 16 is real - needs rebalancing IMO 

• Down by Law changed the title to Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now