Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now

Down by Law

Each characters knock back attack (hold attack for 2 seconds, let go) works wonders for those as they plow into each other.

Treat them like Donovans (guy with shades) and train yourself to never jump in at them if you can help it

17 hours ago, Benny said:

You gotta jump, or change vertical positioning, or use your defensive special, depending on the situation/boss move.

I think, if I had to give one piece of general advice in SoR4, it would be to force yourself to use the defensive special (i.e. tapping the top button — triangle/Y/X, system dependent — without a direction) freely.

It's something I had to train myself to do, as it's a move that most brawlers would teach you to heavily ration for emergencies because of the associated health cost, but they're a crucial defensive tool in this thanks to the combination of invulnerability frames and being able to get the health back after using it.

I've not played and old-school brawler like this before, so the lack of a dedicated dodge button, like Bayonetta, or the fact that you're not invincible while locked in an animation, like Sifu, is taking some getting used to. I'm also having to learn how to position myself up and down the Z axis, as that's something which is also pretty exclusive to this sort of game.

Ok, cleared stage 12 on normal, phew!

I'm not sure what to do now. I've started again with Blaze on hard mode. She definitely seems a lot more mobile than Axel, and her hadouken equivalent is very useful. I might see how far I can get with her, but I can't say I'm bothered about getting higher ranks on each stage. Is there any incentive to go for high ranks, or just bragging rights? Do you unlock stuff?

You can unlock new characters through points, and if you have the Mr. X's Nightmare DLC you can level up and unlock new variations of your special moves. It's all in service of the base gameplay though, you won't be upgrading your headquarters or unlocking new weapons or that kinda stuff.

I kinda wish there was some of that persistence to your runs, the core game is super sweet but I've always been keen on upgrading, leveling and unlocking in games.

Also, Blaze is wonderful in every way. Super fun. Every time you juggle someone it's worth jumping, holding down and hitting them twice for a cool double attack while they're still airborne. Can then forward and super to show off.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Is there any incentive to go for high ranks, or just bragging rights?

Like Bayonetta, the pure satisfaction from the feedback the game is giving you further bolstered by the scoring system. You'll eventually know how to effortlessly control large waves of enemies and how to chain the combo counter from one batch to the next, which unlocks a whole new level of zen-like enjoyment.

17 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Like Bayonetta, the pure satisfaction from the feedback the game is giving you further bolstered by the scoring system. You'll eventually know how to effortlessly control large waves of enemies and how to chain the combo counter from one batch to the next, which unlocks a whole new level of zen-like enjoyment.

So would you recommend just staring story mode again with a different character on hard? That's what I'm doing, anyway.

52 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

So would you recommend just staring story mode again with a different character on hard? That's what I'm doing, anyway.

Yeah. Keep climbing that ladder.

I've hit a bit of a wall with Chinatown on Hard Mode and I'm not sure if I've got the resolve to carry on any more. This game makes me too fucking angry! If there were checkpoints before the bosses then I'd be ok, although I suppose that doesn't gel too well with the arcade experience.

I tried the training ground for a while, but the combo section for each character is just too fiddly for me. I've never been great at fighting games or had much experience of them, and that's becoming very apparent now.

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I can do a video of a run through of that stage on hard if you like, might help give an idea of crowd control and general tips n stuff. Which character are you using?

Thanks for the kind offer! I've decided to put the game down for a while, though, and play something else. I was using Blaze. I'm fine up until the bit where you get inside the temple, but those fucking weapon-wielding Galsias walking into me wind me up no end.

Honestly though, don't trouble yourself with a video.

• 1 month later...
On 23/08/2022 at 17:39, Down by Law said:

Had a run through on my dinner break. Made a few mistakes here and there but a good run ! The Dojo starts at 4:02.

General pointers:

if you think you are going to get hit get in the habit of using a neutral defensive special as it will protect you from both sides and give you time to think about your next move. You can double up on it providing you've got the health as well. I do this @ 4:26 to escape a shanking from a cheeky Galsia.

Remember you are invincible when throwing so don't be afraid to wait in the grab state before throwing. This can really help against the flame breath from the fat guys or the girls with the tracking dropkick. Throw when you would usually get hit to escape pain free.

Blaze has a great combo move @1:37 get into a grab, hold forward, punch twice, on the 3rd punch press and hold then let go after the little flash - after she slams the enemy she hits them with the spinning elbow which can then go straight into her blitz move (forward forward punch) you can then air juggle regular enemies with jump down attack x 2 into air special for big damage.

Throw weapons whenever you can as they help to keep combos going and keep you out of danger. If close, you can catch them in mid air. Some have different properties like the cleaver in the kitchen goes through multiple enemies in a single throw (see @:1:48) and man that's a real satsifying sound it makes, too !

Blaze's back attack (@ 2:39) is one of the best in the game as it can hit twice or you can even combo off the first hit if you are quick enough

if you have a good combo going and get overwhelmed always use the star move to get out of trouble as they are worth way more points keeping a combo going then the paltry 500 you get for unused ones at the end of a level (see @ 4:39)

I didn't put in a great performance against the boss but you'll see I often try to throw out a single jab to stun them while i slightly close the distance before more jabs or possibly a grab combo (@ 6:57)

Good luck !

This is exactly why this game is up there with AvP. Despite my love for both Alien, Predator, and beat 'em ups, personal preference makes SoR4 my #1 all-time scrolling fighter, which was not something I expected when I first saw it revealed.