Do/did your parents game?

Illyria

Mine, no.

A friend’s mum started playing Phantasy Star games back in 1992. Every time she completes it, she starts the next one. When she’s done IV, she starts II again. Has been doing this for 26 years.

AFAIK she doesn’t play anything else. She’s 70 now, I think.

My mum, in her 60s, loves video games but only ever plays them if they're simple enough (Boom Blox, Lara Croft GO, that sort of thing).

Games she has an interest in but are too difficult to control usually means I play them and she watches when we have time. Anything Naughty Dog put out goes on her list, Zelda games, as well as the Tomb Raider series. She adored Alien: Isolation too. She works in a school and constantly amazes the kids there when she joins their conversations about the latest video games. 

12 minutes ago, linkster said:

My mum and dad played Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast

every serve my dad would bounce the ball until my mother was laughing

then he’d serve

she didn’t win a point and it just got funnier the longer it went on 

Thats excellent!

My mum’s only foray into gaming was/is Tetris on the original gameboy.   

My Dad once tried to play Adidas power soccer with me on the PS1 during Christmas 1996, gave up after ten minutes and hasn’t played anything since. 

He did, however, try and was blown away by the PSVR. But it was a one off. He’ll never bother again. 

As an aside theyd both tell you they’re technophobes, but I bought them an iPad 4 years ago and both are as addicted as teenagers to Facebook etc. 

5 minutes ago, Droo said:

Thats excellent!

My mum’s only foray into gaming was/is Tetris on the original gameboy.   

My Dad once tried to play Adidas power soccer with me on the PS1 during Christmas 1996, gave up after ten minutes and hasn’t played anything since. 

He did, however, try and was blown away by the PSVR. But it was a one off. He’ll never bother again. 

As an aside theyd both tell you they’re technophobes, but I bought them an iPad 4 years ago and both are as addicted as teenagers to Facebook etc. 

He was a PE teacher. Such a ruthless SOB

My mum and dad played ZX Spectrum games, a lot of Spectrum games. They’d  make their ow  maps of challenging games on graph paper, buy a budget game every week, buy magazines once covertapes became a thing, the whole lot. I basically became interested in games because it’s what I saw the adults in my house do for hours. Rarely ever played games after they upgraded to an Amiga 500 though. Although my mum seems to play iPhone games and had a Nintendo DS which was used so much it eventually stopped working.

My Dad used to play a bit on the CPC. I remember him beating Impossible Mission, and when my brother received a compilation for his birthday one year, he fired up Super Cycle to find a Happy Birthday message from Dad on the top of the leaderboard. Later, he'd take the PlayStation at times for a bit of PGA 96 with my uncle. Sounds rude somehow.

It waned after that but both parents got into puzzle games on the DS for a while. Never really had an interest in much more but my Dad did get me interested in programming. I've never forgiven him.

Yep; both of my parents still play. My dad introduced us to gaming via the C64 and now he's playing various PC games - recent favourites have been Sniper Ghost Warrior, Far Cry titles and one of the Mafia games. My mum mainly plays Solitaire (Patience) on the laptop and one or two word games on iOS.

I still excitedly tell my immediate family members when I've got an interesting new game or peripheral - they even took turns trying out my PSVR! :D 

My Mum had a GameBoy way back when and liked Tetris, Boxxle and puzzle games like those. She now plays F2P games on her Kindle.

My Dad used to have a huge Spectrum collection when I was really young and he used to play SNES games like Street Fighter II, Mario Kart and ISS with us at weekends. He also used to play golf games on PC in a little upstairs cupboard that doubles as his home office. 

My parents bought us a colecovison when we were kids and I know they used to play it on Friday nights with mates around, she was reminiscing about it last week. 

The first console I bought with my own money was the master system and I recall her playing action fighter on it, using the arcade stick. She was good at it! 

Now it’s just iPad games.

3 minutes ago, fattakin said:

My parents bought us a colecovison when we were kids and I know they used to play it on Friday nights with mates around, she was reminiscing about it last week. 

The first console I bought with my own money was the master system and I recall her playing action fighter on it, using the arcade stick. She was good at it! 

Now it’s just iPad games.

I have a memory of my granny trying to play a game called “Venture” on the colecovision!  Haven’t thought about that in years!

Edit: She didn’t like it though...

41 minutes ago, Droo said:

I have a kid now. 

I bet he hates video games. 

... what will I do?

I have two kids. A daughter aged 4 and a son  ages 19 months. I really hope they want to play Mario Kart, Bomberman and whatever else is great when they are a little older. 

Would love to play some MP games with them too (until they get better than me and then I will be forced to turn off the router “by accident” the way my friends and I would “accidentally” unplug each other’s joysticks....)

My Dad taught computing at the local college, so we had a BBC B not long after they were released. He was a huge fan of the Repton games, and I remember sitting and watching him play through them - he won a Repton mug for being among the first to complete Repton 3. He bought me a C64 when I was about 8, and later on we ended up with an Amiga A500, as he wanted to play Populous. In later years he lost interest in faster paced stuff, but still spent hours playing various simulation games.

Sadly, Cancer got him ten years ago, so I've no idea what he'd have been playing now - I'd imagine he'd still have a decent PC, and almost certainly an iPad. He's definitely to blame for my lifelong gaming habit.

It was my dad who got me into gaming, but no idea why as he hasn’t been into it before it since.  Bought me a C64 and I remember playing Fiendish Freddy Big Top of Fun a lot with him

Other than that there was a random time when mum and dad told me in the morning they’d played my Tekken game when I was in bed, thought they were messing about but they described how they’d pulled of Laws XOX triple kick thing and seemed legit

No idea how they booted it all up

My parents are in their 70s. My mum games but she came to it quite late when she retired and I got her learning to use a computer as a hobby. She plays endless Candy Crush style games on her iPad and the rest of her time on Pogo.com

My dad doesn't.

Excellent topic.

My dad was pretty much responsible for getting me into gaming. He bought an Atari of some sort when I was very young and then a C64 a little later. Ostensibly it was for the whole family to learn to program and, for him and me at least, we did. But right from the start it was clear that gaming was something we both loved.

I remember the very first day we got it playing Caeser The Cat and being hugely impressed that he could get to the super difficult white mice. Many years later I played it again in an emulator and found that it was almost embarrassingly easy.

His tastes were always towards the slower paced games and after a while he would only play sims or war games. Some of his favourites included the RPG Valhalla, the naval sims Strike Fleet and Red Storm Rising, and Battles of Napoleon by SSI.

But he never updated beyond the 8bit age until, stuck for something to get him for Christmas, I bought him a GBA SP and a copy of Advance Wars. To say that he loved that game is an understatement. He still plays it, on the same GBA SP, to this day. And even though he's gone through other gaming platforms (A DS and now a MacBook) AW is still the gold standard that every single other game is measured against.

My mum on the other hand was never interested in gaming. Until, attempting to replicate the success of my dad's GBA Christmas present, I bought her a Nintendo DS and a copy of Animal Crossing. I had no idea what I was unleashing.

Initial apathy and confusion morphed, in a matter of days into enthusiasm and joy, and within weeks turned into an all consuming passion. She'd play it for an hour or so every single day. I had to buy a copy and leave it switched on during the day so she could visit my town and leave me gifts and messages. Other members of our family had to buy a DS and copy of the game just so she could do the same to them. Years this went on for. 

It only really stopped when she bought an iPad. She's always playing some kind of Animal Crossing game like Dragonvale or something now. Although, just like AW for my dad, none have really hit the sweet spot quite like AC.

My mum played Crash Bandicoot once, she seemed to find the controls overwhelming. I’ve never seen her play anything else, though she watches what my kids are playing and talks to them about it sometimes. She’s in her late fifties now but the crash bandicoot incident would have been when she was in her late thirties.

Dad used to play stuff sometimes. He loved Tetris on the original gameboy, he used to play Mario Kart on the SNES and Bust a Move on the PS1. We played a lot of Tekken 2 together and he loved Time Crisis and anything else with a light gun. We used to occasionally play racing games together as well.

Over the years I’ve bought him a few games, a GBA with Tetris DX, Super Circuit and puzzle bobble. I got him a PS2 and a few light guns, but he never bothers with them. He’s still up for playing stuff at an arcade but not at home. Neither him or my mum seem interested in my games but I don’t really try to show them any more.

The one exception was the Wii, both my parents were happy to give that a try and seemed to have fun.